Hello from the UK

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
TannersHatch

Hello from the UK

Post by TannersHatch »

Hi all
I'm very happy to be here and look forward to getting to know you all and the forum.
I am pretty new to Buddhism, having only been meditating 6 months and even less time studying the Dharma and taking refuge in the three jewels.
So, as I stumble my way through my ignorant and supposed Buddhist practice I would like to thank you all for your patience with me and I will gratefully receive any correction to my understanding and behaviour. I hope you are all well and am honoured to have the opportunity to discuss the Dharma with you here. Thank you also to everyone who has contributed to this forum and its ongoing administration.

A little about 'the self' as I experience it... I am a locksmith, I have two children and partner Natalie whom I love very much. I am long term and very happily celibate (long before my meditation practice began). I am 40 but not for long. I am for the first time in my life filled with a sense of relief and happiness since finding the Darma and have become fascinated with Buddhism, particularly Mahayana and the Gelugpa tradition. I owe an eternal gratitude to the Great Buddha and also the Dalai Lama for bringing me to the Dharma and have a deep compassion for the Tibetan people and there enduring struggles as well as a great admiration for them as a people, their strength and virtue.

Partly I must admit I come to seek refuge in the Sangha a little. The emotional benefits I have received from my practice have been profound. I have volunteered to a few of my most local Buddhist centres offering my skills and recently attended an local Bodhisattva Centre for a Blessing Empowerment of Wisdom - Buddha Manjushri, taught by Gen Kelsang Thekchen, senior Buddhist Monk and Resident Teacher of Bodhisattva KMC.
I am deeply aware of the need for discussion of the Dharma to be appropriate to the audience and would like an outlet for discussion in which I can be sure not to hurt others with my own misconceived , perhaps irreverent ideas or questions. For example questions about bringing the Dharma to a western audience, not to convert but simply to educate, integrate and relive suffering whilst still remaining respectful to the Three Jewels and not upsetting folk. I don't ask this here so please don't reply here. I offer it only as an example of the questions I would like to discuss.

I would love to raise my understanding and wisdom to a point where I can share this new found freedom I am experiencing with others. I say this with all humility and understanding that I will have a long long journey before I can do so correctly. My family are of course not Buddhist so I study in solitude if I'm listening to audio and am very mindful of protecting their spiritual leanings and mental inclinations while I experience these changes in my outlook and emotional well-being. I have a natural inclination toward the practice of Bodhicitta (ultimate) and am currently meditating on emptiness, non-self, Lo Jong (giving and taking), as well as resting awareness as a basis. I have lots to work on myself to undertake including my patience, anger, ego, ignorance, torpor, concentration, attachment to name a few, but am determined to get there if not in this life then I hope in one of the preceding. On a lighter note, I have a solitary retreat booked in in a Kuti for my birthday!

Thank you all for reading this rather long winded and self-serving introduction. I humbly ask you to excuse any errors in spelling, etiquette or terminology. I look forward to reading your posts.
zerwe

Re: Hello from the UK

Post by zerwe »

Welcome. I am glad you have benefitted from coming into contact with the teachings of the Buddha. You sound very inspired and it is important to keep that energy tanked up throughout your practice. So, take your time and enjoy.

On another note, I noticed you mentioned Bodhisattva KMC. Is KMC a Kadampa Meditation Center by chance?

If so, while I choose not to denigrate or in any way take away how you have benefitted, I need to point out that this organization is NOT mainstream Gelug. They are in open opposition to His Holiness the Dalai Lama and are highly controversial.

I would have to recommend that, if you have other options, please pursue them.

Shaun :namaste:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

TannersHatch

Post by TannersHatch »

zerwe wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:19 am Welcome. I am glad you have benefitted from coming into contact with the teachings of the Buddha. You sound very inspired and it is important to keep that energy tanked up throughout your practice. So, take your time and enjoy.

On another note, I noticed you mentioned Bodhisattva KMC. Is KMC a Kadampa Meditation Center by chance?

If so, while I choose not to denigrate or in any way take away how you have benefitted, I need to point out that this organization is NOT mainstream Gelug. They are in open opposition to His Holiness the Dalai Lama and are highly controversial.

Thank you for drawing this to my attention. Just did some reading. What a sad thing.
I had another event organised with them today but have decided not to attend.
I shall as you say persue other options. :thumbsup:
Not sure what I will say if they follow up on my volunteering offer 😐 guess I'll say nothing...
Last edited by TannersHatch on Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

TannersHatch wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:05 am
zerwe wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:19 am Welcome. I am glad you have benefitted from coming into contact with the teachings of the Buddha. You sound very inspired and it is important to keep that energy tanked up throughout your practice. So, take your time and enjoy.

Thank you for drawing this to my attention. Just did some reading. What a sad thing.
I had another event organised with them today but have decided not to attend.
I shall as you say persue other options. :thumbsup:
Not sure what I will say if they follow up on my volunteering offer 😐 guess I'll say nothing...
This organization was one of the only options where I live as well and, when I was starting my practice, I went to see for myself. Those who I met were wonderful people. However, while being local offered tremendous convenience, I found that with some effort I was able to make numerous connections with other teachers and practitioners elsewhere. I feel that this was energy well spent. There are a number of opportunities for dharma practice in the UK within Gelug and there are a few on the forum who may be able to help you.

I honestly don't want to feel like I am promoting an organization with whom I practice, but you might want to check https://fpmt.org.uk/

Also, there are some independently affiliated Gelug centers in the UK. Additionally, there are many Nyingma, Kagyu, and Sakya too.

Last edited by zerwe on Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

If I had to choose a centre in England to go to it would be here https://gomde.uk/ they’re building a Tibetan style temple also. Near Doncaster not Gelug however Nyingma/Kagyu :twothumbsup:
TannersHatch

Post by TannersHatch »

@zerwe @Kongchog Thogme Jampa

Thank you both for your kind advice. I shall look into all your suggestions.
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Welcome
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
TannersHatch

Post by TannersHatch »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:40 pm If I had to choose a centre in England to go to it would be here https://gomde.uk/ they’re building a Tibetan style temple also. Near Doncaster not Gelug however Nyingma/Kagyu :twothumbsup:
I had a look. This looks so worthwhile. You can even sponsor a brick! That's awesome. Thanks bud
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

TannersHatch wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:00 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:40 pm If I had to choose a centre in England to go to it would be here https://gomde.uk/ they’re building a Tibetan style temple also. Near Doncaster not Gelug however Nyingma/Kagyu :twothumbsup:
I had a look. This looks so worthwhile. You can even sponsor a brick! That's awesome. Thanks bud

Yes and Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche whose center it is and Erik Pema Kunsang who teaches there sometimes are very highly regarded
chokyi lodro

Post by chokyi lodro »

Hello from Scotland (Edinburgh precisely)! Welcome to the forum. I hope you gain much from visiting here.

Incidentally, I too found helpful teachings (so conveniently close*) from the group we don't mention - and years before from Michael Roach's ACI. Much better to find alternatives that present authentic teachings without denigrating great persons like HH Dalai Lama.

* - yes, it would be that way wouldn't it? Is that like Mara testing me!? :rolling:
~ Chökyi Lodrö
TannersHatch

Post by TannersHatch »

chokyi lodro wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:21 pm Hello from Scotland (Edinburgh precisely)! Welcome to the forum. I hope you gain much from visiting here.

Incidentally, I too found helpful teachings (so conveniently close*) from the group we don't mention - and years before from Michael Roach's ACI. Much better to find alternatives that present authentic teachings without denigrating great persons like HH Dalai Lama.

* - yes, it would be that way wouldn't it? Is that like Mara testing me!? :rolling:
I wholeheartedly agree :) the venerable gentleman gave me my introduction to Buddhist ideas. I owe him so so much and he is my go to source of Dharma based inspirational texts and commentary. If a group has problems with the DL that's enough for me to stay well clear (compassionately so of course).
Last edited by TannersHatch on Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TannersHatch

Post by TannersHatch »

Thank you everyone for you warm welcome. I feel very lucky and honoured to be here.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

TannersHatch wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:46 pm Thank you everyone for you warm welcome. I feel very lucky and honoured to be here.
Welcome :-)
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?

Return to “Introductions”