esoteric meaning for the three jewels

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
anjali
Former staff member

esoteric meaning for the three jewels

Post by anjali »

I was wondering about an esoteric meaning for the triple jewels: Buddham saranam gachammi; Dharmam saranam gachammi; Sangham saranam gachammi.

Is it acceptable to view the three refugees in the following way? "Buddham" represents the nature of mind, the cognizant, awake quality. "Dharmam" represents the essence of mind, the empty quality. "Sangham" represents the embodiment of the Dharma, the unconfined capacity of the mind. Thus, taking refuge would be taking refuge in one's own trikaya nature.

If the three jewels are talked about in this way somewhere, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Malcolm

Re: esoteric meaning for the three jewels

Post by Malcolm »

anjali wrote:I was wondering about an esoteric meaning for the triple jewels: Buddham saranam gachammi; Dharmam saranam gachammi; Sangham saranam gachammi.

Is it acceptable to view the three refugees in the following way? "Buddham" represents the nature of mind, the cognizant, awake quality. "Dharmam" represents the essence of mind, the empty quality. "Sangham" represents the embodiment of the Dharma, the unconfined capacity of the mind. Thus, taking refuge would be taking refuge in one's own trikaya nature.

If the three jewels are talked about in this way somewhere, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Usually buddha = emptiness
dharma = clarity
sangha = union of clarity and emptiness
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Inner Refuge (General):
Lama
Yidam
Dakini

Inner Refuge (Special):
Essences
Energies
Channels

Secret Refuge:
Essence- Primordial Purity
Nature - Spontaneous Presence
Responsiveness - Compassion
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

Thank you Namdrol and sangyey for your comments. They have been helpful. I continued to do a bit of research, which is probably what I should have done to begin with. Once I saw the connection of Buddha = Mind, Dharma = Speech, Sangha = Body, everything fell into place.

Buddha: Mind: Dharmakaya: emptiness
Dharma: Speech: Sambhogakaya: clarity
Sangha: Body: Nirmanakaya: unity of emptiness and clarity

This is useful for me in personal practice.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

From the Longchen Nyingtik Ngondro;

"Buddha Dharma and Sangha are
in reality Lama, Yidam and Khandro.
The nature of the Channels, Inner air and Energy are
the Bodhicitta.
In this mandala of Essence, Nature and Compassion
I take refuge until Enlightenment."

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”