Any regular Mahamudra webcasts?

mindyourmind

Any regular Mahamudra webcasts?

Post by mindyourmind »

Are there any regular Mahamudra webcasts, such as the ones we find in the Dzogchen Community?

I know that there are ad hoc webcasts by the Karmapa, various schools and so on, but any on a regular basis?
Dualism is the real root of our suffering and all of our conflicts.

Namkhai Norbu
mindyourmind

Re: Any regular Mahamudra webcasts?

Post by mindyourmind »

Nothing?

Namkhai Norbu
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Never seen any around...there is the Tergar online learning site...but as Mingyur Rinpoche is in retreat, it's all recorded teachings. It would be good if Tsoknyi Rinpoche or someone done and essence Mahamudra webcast.
Last edited by Stewart on Sun May 13, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

No, but have you seen this yet:

phpBB [video]

You can find the other parts yourself I am sure. Best of luck, C
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Clarence wrote:No, but have you seen this yet:

phpBB [video]

You can find the other parts yourself I am sure. Best of luck, C
Thanks, I loved this series, but the question is really about regular webcasts.

Namkhai Norbu
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Hmm, I don't know any regular broadcasts. Situ Rinpoche gives a yearly MM course in India. You can buy the DVD's for that. That is probably your best bet until some MM-lama will start doing MM-broadcasts like Norbu Rinpoche does with Dzogchen.
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Clarence wrote:Hmm, I don't know any regular broadcasts. Situ Rinpoche gives a yearly MM course in India. You can buy the DVD's for that. That is probably your best bet until some MM-lama will start doing MM-broadcasts like Norbu Rinpoche does with Dzogchen.
You can buy the cds? I'll have to look at that, then.

And yes, that's part of where my question is leading. It would be quite marvelous if someone does a regular webcast of MM and the teachings can be spread that way too.

Namkhai Norbu
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

:crying: DVD Mahamudra transmission? I hope that a teacher does NOT do webcasts for mahamudra transmission!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

gregkavarnos wrote::crying: DVD Mahamudra transmission? I hope that a teacher does NOT do webcasts for mahamudra transmission!
Agreed - not that far. But maybe just general teachings :shrug:

Namkhai Norbu
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Noone said DVD MM transmission. There are teachings one can get on DVD. JUst like one can buy DVDs for green Tara practice once one has received the wang, lung and tri...
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Clarence wrote:Noone said DVD MM transmission. There are teachings one can get on DVD. JUst like one can buy DVDs for green Tara practice once one has received the wang, lung and tri...
Do you have an address for this close to hand?

Namkhai Norbu
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

No, sorry. I saw them in a bookstore once. Though, that was not in the west.
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Clarence wrote:No, sorry. I saw them in a bookstore once. Though, that was not in the west.
Thank you, I will follow up on that.

Namkhai Norbu
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Clarence wrote:Noone said DVD MM transmission. There are teachings one can get on DVD. JUst like one can buy DVDs for green Tara practice once one has received the wang, lung and tri...
The wang, lung and tri are included during the Dzogchen broadcasts.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Mahamudra is not as bound to transmissions as Dzogchen, when it is understood to be separate from the path of sutra and tantra. So it is very much acceptable to have books, DVD's and all the other forms spreading the teachings made available. It is, after all, a liberating instruction.

The Quintessence of Mahamudra says in the chapter "The Description of the Preparatory Exercises for This Meditative Path" (p. 123f)

"Regarding the manner of imparting the profound path [of mahamudra], the venerable Gampopa considered it to be an independent path of tantra. So he did not make the esoteric empowerment a prerequisite for receiving the mahamudra teachings. He spoke about the method of directly guiding the disciple toward the intrinsic reality of the mind."

and

"On the other hand, if one follows venerable Gampopa's system in elucidating mahamudra alone, it is not necessary to bestow the empowerment upon devotees. In keeping with his system one should adhere to the preparatory exercises he prescribed without incorporating the tantric meditation of Vajrasattva, the utterance of mantra, the transformation of oneself into yidam, and the visualization of one's guru in the form of Buddha Vajradhara, the source of the mystic empowerment."

And Thrangu Rinpoche's view related to this:

"I think that it is of far greater importance than the experience of dramatic instantaneous pointing out that people be taught mahamudra as a full system of instruction that they can implement on their own gradually through diligent application using either one of the three texts by the Ninth Gyalwang Karmapa—The Ocean of Definitive Meaning, Dispelling the Darkness of Ignorance, or Pointing Out the Dharmakaya— or one of the texts by Dakpo Tashi Namgyal—either Moonbeams of Mahamudra or The Clarification of the Natural State.
In short, I think it is of far more importance that people receive this kind of complete and systematic instruction so that they can gradually develop experience on their own, than that some kind of dramatic pointing-out procedure be done. Of course, it is possible to give dramatic pointing-out instruction, and when you do so, some people do recognize their mind’s nature. But, if I may say so, I question the stability and, therefore, ultimately the value of that. It certainly is a dramatic experience for those people who achieve it, but I see no evidence of their kleshas diminishing as a result. And furthermore, they then carry away with them the arrogance of the thought, “I have seen my mind’s nature.” I think it is of far greater importance actually to practice meditation slowly and surely and make all possible use of the resources which this book in particular gives you. It is after all a big book and contains within it much instruction, much guidance, and a lot of questions that can help you to question and therefore refine your own experience."

(Ocean of Definitive Meaning, p. 127-128)
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Aaaahhh, the old the gradual vs instant debate. I have to say I am with the old (pre-Gampopa) school on this issue! :smile:

Jnana

Post by Jnana »

Astus wrote:Mahamudra is not as bound to transmissions as Dzogchen, when it is understood to be separate from the path of sutra and tantra. So it is very much acceptable to have books, DVD's and all the other forms spreading the teachings made available. It is, after all, a liberating instruction.

The Quintessence of Mahamudra says in the chapter "The Description of the Preparatory Exercises for This Meditative Path" (p. 123f)

"Regarding the manner of imparting the profound path [of mahamudra], the venerable Gampopa considered it to be an independent path of tantra. So he did not make the esoteric empowerment a prerequisite for receiving the mahamudra teachings. He spoke about the method of directly guiding the disciple toward the intrinsic reality of the mind."

and

"On the other hand, if one follows venerable Gampopa's system in elucidating mahamudra alone, it is not necessary to bestow the empowerment upon devotees. In keeping with his system one should adhere to the preparatory exercises he prescribed without incorporating the tantric meditation of Vajrasattva, the utterance of mantra, the transformation of oneself into yidam, and the visualization of one's guru in the form of Buddha Vajradhara, the source of the mystic empowerment."

"I think that it is of far greater importance than the experience of dramatic instantaneous pointing out that people be taught mahamudra as a full system of instruction that they can implement on their own gradually through diligent application using either one of the three texts by the Ninth Gyalwang Karmapa—The Ocean of Definitive Meaning, Dispelling the Darkness of Ignorance, or Pointing Out the Dharmakaya— or one of the texts by Dakpo Tashi Namgyal—either Moonbeams of Mahamudra or The Clarification of the Natural State.
In short, I think it is of far more importance that people receive this kind of complete and systematic instruction so that they can gradually develop experience on their own, than that some kind of dramatic pointing-out procedure be done. Of course, it is possible to give dramatic pointing-out instruction, and when you do so, some people do recognize their mind’s nature. But, if I may say so, I question the stability and, therefore, ultimately the value of that. It certainly is a dramatic experience for those people who achieve it, but I see no evidence of their kleshas diminishing as a result. And furthermore, they then carry away with them the arrogance of the thought, “I have seen my mind’s nature.” I think it is of far greater importance actually to practice meditation slowly and surely and make all possible use of the resources which this book in particular gives you. It is after all a big book and contains within it much instruction, much guidance, and a lot of questions that can help you to question and therefore refine your own experience."

:good:
Josef

Post by Josef »

Garchen Rinpoche is teaching more and more via webcast these days.
He may not explicitly be talking about Mahamudra but it is a large part of how he teaches. Dzogchen as well.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Chökyi Nyima Rinpoche also gives regular teachings made available online, but it's not only Mahamudra of course.

I think that since hardly any teacher restricts the teachings to Mahamudra, it is unlikely that there will be anything more than perhaps a series of teachings on this subject. But, with some growth in interest, this might eventually change.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
mindyourmind

Post by mindyourmind »

Astus wrote:Mahamudra is not as bound to transmissions as Dzogchen, when it is understood to be separate from the path of sutra and tantra. So it is very much acceptable to have books, DVD's and all the other forms spreading the teachings made available. It is, after all, a liberating instruction.

and

Thank you, Astus, some good points in there.

Namkhai Norbu

Return to “Mahamudra”