Helping Homeless Vets

Alleviating worldly suffering along the way.

Helping Homeless Vets

Postby kirtu » Thu May 20, 2010 5:50 pm

So I just called a local DC but nationally know shelter that does have case workers who might be able to assist them but they would have to become residents of their shelter first. Unfortunately this shelter has many hundreds of people in it and is known to sometimes have insect problems. I was shocked when I took a homeless man to this shelter many years ago. I know they are doing the best they can but ...

This is a problem: some (maybe most) organizations have tunnel-vision for one reason or another and have difficulty with anything that doesn't fit directly into their peg slot. Of course one reason for that is the demand on their services.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Helping Homeless Vets

Postby muni » Mon May 24, 2010 7:59 am

kirtu wrote:So I just called a local DC but nationally know shelter that does have case workers who might be able to assist them but they would have to become residents of their shelter first. Unfortunately this shelter has many hundreds of people in it and is known to sometimes have insect problems. I was shocked when I took a homeless man to this shelter many years ago. I know they are doing the best they can but ...

This is a problem: some (maybe most) organizations have tunnel-vision for one reason or another and have difficulty with anything that doesn't fit directly into their peg slot. Of course one reason for that is the demand on their services.

Kirt

Yes. There is a big difference when one act through "me who controls" or Paramitas. Then at least one does what one can.
It should be a great help for the benefit of the people (like health regarding the insects) they take concern for, to widen mind and reflect about other offered propositions. Maybe carefully praising their efforts (which they certainly really do) and than even more careful offer some widing ideas, in a way they can use it in their posibilities.

Just a thought, regarding own experiences ( read foolishnesses). :anjali:
muni

Re: Helping Homeless Vets

Postby kirtu » Thu May 27, 2010 2:41 am

I called Tzu Chi and they said they would try to help so I gave two homeless people I've been working with the number and will follow through tomorrow.

Basically they will see if they can follow up on veteran's benefits and see if they can get housing.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Return to Engaged Buddhism