Political Discourse in the USA (re: LGBT issues)

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
DGA
Former staff member

Political Discourse in the USA (re: LGBT issues)

Post by DGA »

phpBB [video]

I can't tell if this is performance art or not.
practitioner

Re: Political Discourse in the USA (re: LGBT issues)

Post by practitioner »

Jikan wrote:
phpBB [video]

I can't tell if this is performance art or not.
Gotta love free speech!!! Love the guy's reaction behind her! :popcorn:
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Jikan wrote: I can't tell if this is performance art or not.
Why do you think this is performance art? It is more likely a disturbed person repeating many things that many people in the US believe about LBGT people. I have heard many people assert any of the things she is saying.

OK it might be performance art ..... anyway I've heard individual people assert all these things up to the 2-3 min mark and I can't watch anymore. My reaction is pretty much the male sitting behind her.

This is the mild social fascism in the US at work. People adopt views of this nature, don't verify their truth but function based on those rules because it has some social payoff or advantage for them.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I don't really think it's performance art. I said that because I think it's so absurd as to be at the level of self-parody... so far out there that it could pass as performance art.

I hope American homophobia dies the death in my lifetime, and the matter of who anyone falls in love (or how) with stops being an issue. Progress is slow and uneven. We still have whack-a-doodle hateful material circulating as legitimate public discourse (as in the speaker in clip above). But there is progress toward justice and an end to categorical hatred and unkindness (as in the guy in the background in the clip above). While this kind of material may still seem mainstream in some quarters, in the main, it is now an object of laughter.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

America is becoming so third world that when I am in the third world it reminds me of the USA.
Caz

Post by Caz »

Did you see the Lady sat behind her at least there is still some sanity. :)

phpBB [video]
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.

Return to “Lounge”