Buddhist Emanations in Indian Religions

Moderator: Tibetan Buddhism moderators

Buddhist Emanations in Indian Religions

Postby Pero » Fri May 04, 2012 6:51 pm

Split from Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So uhm, is there Kali in the Gelug tradition? Or in any other?
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Lhug-Pa » Fri May 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Pero wrote:So uhm, is there Kali in the Gelug tradition? Or in any other?


http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/rang_byung_rgyal_mo

:?:
User avatar
Lhug-Pa
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Adamantine » Fri May 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Pero wrote:So uhm, is there Kali in the Gelug tradition? Or in any other?


Well, first of all, that sangha was/is mixing Hindu practice (pantajali, jivamukti yoga teachers David and Shannon as gurus, kirtans to Hindu gods, etc.) http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/141233.The_Essential_Yoga_Sutra
along with Christian practice/belief with their own innovated brand of Buddhism http://www.amazon.com/The-Eastern-Path-Heaven-Happiness/dp/1596270977.

They went off the Gelug reservation a long time back.

That said, Krodakali, aka Troma, as practiced in the Nyingma lineage, is equivalent to Kali. I don't know if they have this yidam in Gelug, but it is possible.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Malcolm » Fri May 04, 2012 8:59 pm

Adamantine wrote:
That said, Krodakali, aka Troma, as practiced in the Nyingma lineage, is equivalent to Kali.


No it isn't. There is no relationship between the two. Krodhakali is a form of Vajrayogini. Vajrayogini is not Kali.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Pero » Fri May 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Haha, you are correct Tara, that was what made me ask. Thanks Adamantine and Namdrol. I thought they must be mixing something (not just from Kali reference, didn't look much like Tibetan Buddhism in general to me) but wasn't sure.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero
 
Posts: 1841
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Knotty Veneer » Fri May 04, 2012 11:01 pm

Tara wrote:I may be speaking out of turn however I believe Pero's reference to Kali was because Christie McNally said the following in the document "A Shift in the Matrix"


OK apologies to Pero for misconstruing your post. Deepbluehum did make a similar supernatural reasonings in an earlier post and perhaps I should have replied to him (and I have seen it used elsewhere by some to explain what's going on).

In response to Namdrol's point that two explanations are not mutually exclusive, as I am not privy to the decisions of the Dharma Protectors I cannot say. However, I think in this case there are plenty of plain old rational explanations for what led to this sorry situation that any intervention by supernatural forces would be superfluous.
Last edited by Knotty Veneer on Fri May 04, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it - Mark Twain.
Knotty Veneer
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Adamantine » Sat May 05, 2012 12:22 am

Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
That said, Krodakali, aka Troma, as practiced in the Nyingma lineage, is equivalent to Kali.


No it isn't. There is no relationship between the two. Krodhakali is a form of Vajrayogini. Vajrayogini is not Kali.


According to you. But not according to lineage masters I have conferred with. I have been told they are the same.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Malcolm » Sat May 05, 2012 1:02 am

Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
That said, Krodakali, aka Troma, as practiced in the Nyingma lineage, is equivalent to Kali.


No it isn't. There is no relationship between the two. Krodhakali is a form of Vajrayogini. Vajrayogini is not Kali.


According to you. But not according to lineage masters I have conferred with. I have been told they are the same.


Well, it ain't so.

Krodhakāli originally entered Tibet with Padampa Sangye, hence the long association with Chö. This transmission is from a sadhana Virupa received in Oḍḍiyāna from a dakini there.

Kālarātri aka Kālī along with Bhairāva serve as the seat of Cakrasamvara and Vajrayogini. So it is really quite impossible that Kālī can be Vajrayogini. In reality, Cakrasamvara and Vajrayogini emanated from Akaniṣṭha to counteract Bhairava and Kālī.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby gad rgyangs » Sat May 05, 2012 1:10 am

Namdrol wrote:Well, it ain't so.

Krodhakāli originally entered Tibet with Padampa Sangye, hence the long association with Chö. This transmission is from a sadhana Virupa received in Oḍḍiyāna from a dakini there.

Kālarātri aka Kālī along with Bhairāva serve as the seat of Cakrasamvara and Vajrayogini. So it is really quite impossible that Kālī can be Vajrayogini. In reality, Cakrasamvara and Vajrayogini emanated from Akaniṣṭha to counteract Bhairava and Kālī.


Chinamasta/Chinnamunda, who is a form of Vajrayogini (her attendants are named "Vajravarnaniye" and "Vajravairochaniye" after all), is sort of a cousin of Kali, so maybe thats where the confusion comes from.
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.
User avatar
gad rgyangs
 
Posts: 785
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Adamantine » Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 am

Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
No it isn't. There is no relationship between the two. Krodhakali is a form of Vajrayogini. Vajrayogini is not Kali.


According to you. But not according to lineage masters I have conferred with. I have been told they are the same.


Well, it ain't so.

Krodhakāli originally entered Tibet with Padampa Sangye, hence the long association with Chö. This transmission is from a sadhana Virupa received in Oḍḍiyāna from a dakini there.



This is veering way off topic, but I don't know if one can answer this question through literalist histories of supramundane entities that don't conform to conceptual or historical human limitations.

Kālarātri aka Kālī along with Bhairāva serve as the seat of Cakrasamvara and Vajrayogini. So it is really quite impossible that Kālī can be Vajrayogini. In reality, Cakrasamvara and Vajrayogini emanated from Akaniṣṭha to counteract Bhairava and Kālī.


I don't see your logic here, what makes it impossible? You are talking about symbolic representations now, not the actual energies at play anymore.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Malcolm » Sat May 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Adamantine wrote:I don't see your logic here, what makes it impossible? You are talking about symbolic representations now, not the actual energies at play anymore.



It is simple. Yogini emanated to suppress Kāli, just as Heruka emanated to suppress Bhairava. Hence, there is no way Kali can be Yogini, there is no way this worldly goddess can be one and the same as Buddha Vajrayogini.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Adamantine » Sun May 06, 2012 4:39 am

Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:I don't see your logic here, what makes it impossible? You are talking about symbolic representations now, not the actual energies at play anymore.



It is simple. Yogini emanated to suppress Kāli, just as Heruka emanated to suppress Bhairava. Hence, there is no way Kali can be Yogini, there is no way this worldly goddess can be one and the same as Buddha Vajrayogini.


You believe this to be literally true Namdrol?
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Malcolm » Sun May 06, 2012 1:06 pm

Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:I don't see your logic here, what makes it impossible? You are talking about symbolic representations now, not the actual energies at play anymore.



It is simple. Yogini emanated to suppress Kāli, just as Heruka emanated to suppress Bhairava. Hence, there is no way Kali can be Yogini, there is no way this worldly goddess can be one and the same as Buddha Vajrayogini.


You believe this to be literally true Namdrol?


I believe that this is the traditional account of the origin of all forms of Vajrayogini and hence, it is impossble for Yogini to be Kali.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Adamantine » Sun May 06, 2012 4:04 pm

Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
It is simple. Yogini emanated to suppress Kāli, just as Heruka emanated to suppress Bhairava. Hence, there is no way Kali can be Yogini, there is no way this worldly goddess can be one and the same as Buddha Vajrayogini.


You believe this to be literally true Namdrol?


I believe that this is the traditional account of the origin of all forms of Vajrayogini and hence, it is impossble for Yogini to be Kali.


Unless those traditional accounts had more to do with Buddhist-Hindu competing interpretations at the time of their inception. . . My understanding is that the actual energies of these two are identical, however, it is a misunderstanding of certain qualities and symbolism that have led Hindu devotees to do terrible things like commit blood human and animal sacrifices in her name, etc. Perhaps the symbolism of these early accounts has more to do with purifying the context of devotion from this degeneration, and is framed as suppression in a colorful way to communicate this. Again, I am just offering an alternative way to interpret what you are putting forth as an absolute truth. I am sure there are more.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Malcolm » Mon May 07, 2012 1:33 am

Adamantine wrote:
Unless those traditional accounts had more to do with Buddhist-Hindu competing interpretations at the time of their inception. . . My understanding is that the actual energies of these two are identical, however, it is a misunderstanding of certain qualities and symbolism that have led Hindu devotees to do terrible things like commit blood human and animal sacrifices in her name, etc. Perhaps the symbolism of these early accounts has more to do with purifying the context of devotion from this degeneration, and is framed as suppression in a colorful way to communicate this. Again, I am just offering an alternative way to interpret what you are putting forth as an absolute truth. I am sure there are more.


This is a modern interpretation. Some Lama may have adopted it. I still think it is bunk.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Nemo » Mon May 07, 2012 2:33 am

Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
Unless those traditional accounts had more to do with Buddhist-Hindu competing interpretations at the time of their inception. . . My understanding is that the actual energies of these two are identical, however, it is a misunderstanding of certain qualities and symbolism that have led Hindu devotees to do terrible things like commit blood human and animal sacrifices in her name, etc. Perhaps the symbolism of these early accounts has more to do with purifying the context of devotion from this degeneration, and is framed as suppression in a colorful way to communicate this. Again, I am just offering an alternative way to interpret what you are putting forth as an absolute truth. I am sure there are more.


This is a modern interpretation. Some Lama may have adopted it. I still think it is bunk.


I think the only person qualified to answer that would be a high Lama who knows both parties personally. Many of these once mundane Gods have been practitioners and students of the Buddhas for aeons. If I kept my Samayas for a thousand years and used the powers of a God to accumulate merit progress on the path would be swift. To think of Gods as static and unchanging sounds like eternalism. Even very negative beings become miraculous protectors full of love when they accept guidance of the Aryas.
User avatar
Nemo
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 am
Location: Canada

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Adamantine » Mon May 07, 2012 2:42 am

Nemo wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
Unless those traditional accounts had more to do with Buddhist-Hindu competing interpretations at the time of their inception. . . My understanding is that the actual energies of these two are identical, however, it is a misunderstanding of certain qualities and symbolism that have led Hindu devotees to do terrible things like commit blood human and animal sacrifices in her name, etc. Perhaps the symbolism of these early accounts has more to do with purifying the context of devotion from this degeneration, and is framed as suppression in a colorful way to communicate this. Again, I am just offering an alternative way to interpret what you are putting forth as an absolute truth. I am sure there are more.


This is a modern interpretation. Some Lama may have adopted it. I still think it is bunk.


I think the only person qualified to answer that would be a high Lama who knows both parties personally. Many of these once mundane Gods have been practitioners and students of the Buddhas for aeons. If I kept my Samayas for a thousand years and used the powers of a God to accumulate merit progress on the path would be swift. To think of Gods as static and unchanging sounds like eternalism. Even very negative beings become miraculous protectors full of love when they accept guidance of the Aryas.


This was answered by a high Lama, fyi.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Malcolm » Mon May 07, 2012 2:45 am

Nemo wrote:
I think the only person qualified to answer that would be a high Lama who knows both parties personally. Many of these once mundane Gods have been practitioners and students of the Buddhas for aeons. If I kept my Samayas for a thousand years and used the powers of a God to accumulate merit progress on the path would be swift. To think of Gods as static and unchanging sounds like eternalism. Even very negative beings become miraculous protectors full of love when they accept guidance of the Aryas.


Umm, this is not the issue. Kali does not become Vajrayogini by mere fiat.
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Malcolm » Mon May 07, 2012 2:47 am

Adamantine wrote:
This was answered by a high Lama, fyi.


So called "High" Lamas also assert Meru Cosmology is true. I don't put much value in the assertions of "high" lamas when they contradict common sense.

N
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://atikosha.org
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

Though there are infinite liberating gateways of Dharma,
there are none not included in the dimension of the knowledge of the Great Perfection.

-- Buddha Samantabhadri
User avatar
Malcolm
 
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona

Postby Adamantine » Mon May 07, 2012 3:56 am

Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
This was answered by a high Lama, fyi.


So called "High" Lamas also assert Meru Cosmology is true. I don't put much value in the assertions of "high" lamas when they contradict common sense.

N


Please check your PM box
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2970
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Next

Return to Tibetan Buddhism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 19 guests

>