Adam Yauch dead at 47

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Adam Yauch dead at 47

Postby kirtu » Fri May 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Adam Yauch dead at 47

Postby deepbluehum » Fri May 04, 2012 7:33 pm

"I said 'What's the time?' It's time to get ILL, Ill, ill..."
deepbluehum

Postby Adamantine » Fri May 04, 2012 8:57 pm

This is sad. He was a devoted Vajrayana Buddhist and a great proponent of the Tibetan freedom cause. Too bad he had to go in an untimely way.

I hope he is able to achieve liberation in the bardo, for the benefit of all.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Thrasymachus » Fri May 04, 2012 11:48 pm

It is a shame he decided to go the radiation and surgery route. I don't have cancer, so I am relatively much healthier, but if I had several doses of "radiation therapy" I would likely die too.
Thrasymachus

Postby MJH » Sat May 05, 2012 1:03 am

MCA.....

OM GATE GATE PARAGATE PARASAMGATE BODHI SVAHA
KTL Buddhist videos
MJH

Postby Adamantine » Mon May 07, 2012 11:42 am

A post by Kurt Langer, SFT board member, on Adam Yauch's passing:

"Earlier today, Adam Yauch, founding member of the Beastie Boys passed away after a three year fight against cancer. Adam was a good friend of mine, and one of my oldest friends in New York. But more than being a friend, he was an inspiration. I am so privileged to have known him.

Adam is well known for his many talents — musician, video director, film-maker, snowboarder and world champion alpen horn blower — but he was as generous as he was creative. It’s well known that Adam cared deeply about seeing a Free and Independent Tibet in his lifetime, and he used every resource available to make this dream a reality. Through his efforts, he raised millions of dollars for the Beasite Boys’ charity the Milarepa Fund, but he also lobbied congress in their DC offices, folded pamphlets and licked envelopes, got arrested at demonstrations at the Chinese Consulate, made food for volunteers, called business leaders and talked to them about human rights — heck, he even slept on the floor of my college dorm room so that he could attend a Students for a Free Tibet conference that I organized at my school (this was a long, long time ago). But for Adam, Tibet was just the beginning. He believed that the act of freeing Tibet would have a ripple effect around the world, and encourage freedom everywhere. Most importantly, he believed that the key to doing this was through non-violence, and that is what so deeply moved him to give so much of his time, energy and talent to supporting the cause.

After 911, New Yorkers were lost, overwhelmed and grieving. Adam was the first person to organize a benefit concert. Rather than focus on the tragedy of what happened, which was too vast for us all to fully comprehend, he titled his event “New Yorkers Against Violence.” Somehow, Adam (and Mike D and Adam Horovitz) knew that the message had to be global, and that it had to address the problem of violence, rather than just be a reaction to the tragedy that was still unfolding in our city. Adam thought big, and he understood that all things are interconnected. He was an old soul, and he clearly lived so passionately, creatively and compassionately, that he exhausted his body at far too young an age.

Although it’s hard to fathom that we won’t see him again, the mark he left on this world will have a lasting legacy. For every musician he encouraged, for every artist he inspired, for every Tibetan he gave hope to, and for every person who shook their rump to his fat bass lines, we pay tribute to MCA. Our deepest condolences go out to his incredible family, and all the friends who he has touched during his time with us. On a personal note, I have to say, Adam, thank you for everything you did for me – all the kind words, generosity, encouragement, leadership, inspiration, and most importantly, the laughs. You played a huge role in making me the person I am today, and I am forever grateful to you.

Now it’s time to honor his life by helping to make his dream come true.

Kurt Langer
Milarepa Fund, 1996-2001
SFT Board of Directors
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby plwk » Mon May 07, 2012 12:14 pm

anitya, duhkha, anatman, nirvana
plwk

Postby Jikan » Mon May 07, 2012 2:50 pm

When I was first getting started in practice (about the time Ill Communication came out) I took inspiration from this. Not because it's particularly good or bad, but because it put the idea in my head that a loudmouth with bad habits and bad manners like me (and as I perceived Yauch to be, at least on Licensed to Ill) could aspire to such a thing as Mahayana. If a guy who had been singing the praises of PCP can at least give it an earnest try and turn his own boat around, then what's holding me back?

So I'm thankful to MC Adam Yauch for the bassline to "Gratitude" and for the example he set in practicing Buddha Dharma. :namaste:
Thanks to the help of generous sponsors (most of them from DharmaWheel), I'm doing a Vajra Armor (Dorje Kotrab) self-retreat this summer. May the merit be yours!
Jikan
Site Admin

Return to News & Current Events