Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm
Posts: 1850
Split from Death at Tibetan Buddhist meditation retreat in Arizona
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So uhm, is there Kali in the Gelug tradition? Or in any other?

_________________
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:58 pm
Posts: 1428
Pero wrote:
So uhm, is there Kali in the Gelug tradition? Or in any other?


http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/rang_byung_rgyal_mo

:?:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:53 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Posts: 2940
Location: Space is the Place
Pero wrote:
So uhm, is there Kali in the Gelug tradition? Or in any other?


Well, first of all, that sangha was/is mixing Hindu practice (pantajali, jivamukti yoga teachers David and Shannon as gurus, kirtans to Hindu gods, etc.) http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/141233.The_Essential_Yoga_Sutra
along with Christian practice/belief with their own innovated brand of Buddhism http://www.amazon.com/The-Eastern-Path-Heaven-Happiness/dp/1596270977.

They went off the Gelug reservation a long time back.

That said, Krodakali, aka Troma, as practiced in the Nyingma lineage, is equivalent to Kali. I don't know if they have this yidam in Gelug, but it is possible.

_________________
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Adamantine wrote:

That said, Krodakali, aka Troma, as practiced in the Nyingma lineage, is equivalent to Kali.


No it isn't. There is no relationship between the two. Krodhakali is a form of Vajrayogini. Vajrayogini is not Kali.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm
Posts: 1850
Haha, you are correct Tara, that was what made me ask. Thanks Adamantine and Namdrol. I thought they must be mixing something (not just from Kali reference, didn't look much like Tibetan Buddhism in general to me) but wasn't sure.

_________________
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 pm
Posts: 362
Tara wrote:
I may be speaking out of turn however I believe Pero's reference to Kali was because Christie McNally said the following in the document "A Shift in the Matrix"


OK apologies to Pero for misconstruing your post. Deepbluehum did make a similar supernatural reasonings in an earlier post and perhaps I should have replied to him (and I have seen it used elsewhere by some to explain what's going on).

In response to Namdrol's point that two explanations are not mutually exclusive, as I am not privy to the decisions of the Dharma Protectors I cannot say. However, I think in this case there are plenty of plain old rational explanations for what led to this sorry situation that any intervention by supernatural forces would be superfluous.

_________________
Everyone talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it - Mark Twain.


Last edited by Knotty Veneer on Fri May 04, 2012 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:22 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Posts: 2940
Location: Space is the Place
Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:

That said, Krodakali, aka Troma, as practiced in the Nyingma lineage, is equivalent to Kali.


No it isn't. There is no relationship between the two. Krodhakali is a form of Vajrayogini. Vajrayogini is not Kali.


According to you. But not according to lineage masters I have conferred with. I have been told they are the same.

_________________
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:

That said, Krodakali, aka Troma, as practiced in the Nyingma lineage, is equivalent to Kali.


No it isn't. There is no relationship between the two. Krodhakali is a form of Vajrayogini. Vajrayogini is not Kali.


According to you. But not according to lineage masters I have conferred with. I have been told they are the same.


Well, it ain't so.

Krodhakāli originally entered Tibet with Padampa Sangye, hence the long association with Chö. This transmission is from a sadhana Virupa received in Oḍḍiyāna from a dakini there.

Kālarātri aka Kālī along with Bhairāva serve as the seat of Cakrasamvara and Vajrayogini. So it is really quite impossible that Kālī can be Vajrayogini. In reality, Cakrasamvara and Vajrayogini emanated from Akaniṣṭha to counteract Bhairava and Kālī.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:10 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:53 pm
Posts: 860
Namdrol wrote:
Well, it ain't so.

Krodhakāli originally entered Tibet with Padampa Sangye, hence the long association with Chö. This transmission is from a sadhana Virupa received in Oḍḍiyāna from a dakini there.

Kālarātri aka Kālī along with Bhairāva serve as the seat of Cakrasamvara and Vajrayogini. So it is really quite impossible that Kālī can be Vajrayogini. In reality, Cakrasamvara and Vajrayogini emanated from Akaniṣṭha to counteract Bhairava and Kālī.


Chinamasta/Chinnamunda, who is a form of Vajrayogini (her attendants are named "Vajravarnaniye" and "Vajravairochaniye" after all), is sort of a cousin of Kali, so maybe thats where the confusion comes from.

_________________
Thoroughly tame your own mind.
This is (possibly) the teaching of Buddha.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:58 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Posts: 2940
Location: Space is the Place
Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

No it isn't. There is no relationship between the two. Krodhakali is a form of Vajrayogini. Vajrayogini is not Kali.


According to you. But not according to lineage masters I have conferred with. I have been told they are the same.


Well, it ain't so.

Krodhakāli originally entered Tibet with Padampa Sangye, hence the long association with Chö. This transmission is from a sadhana Virupa received in Oḍḍiyāna from a dakini there.



This is veering way off topic, but I don't know if one can answer this question through literalist histories of supramundane entities that don't conform to conceptual or historical human limitations.

Quote:
Kālarātri aka Kālī along with Bhairāva serve as the seat of Cakrasamvara and Vajrayogini. So it is really quite impossible that Kālī can be Vajrayogini. In reality, Cakrasamvara and Vajrayogini emanated from Akaniṣṭha to counteract Bhairava and Kālī.


I don't see your logic here, what makes it impossible? You are talking about symbolic representations now, not the actual energies at play anymore.

_________________
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Adamantine wrote:
I don't see your logic here, what makes it impossible? You are talking about symbolic representations now, not the actual energies at play anymore.



It is simple. Yogini emanated to suppress Kāli, just as Heruka emanated to suppress Bhairava. Hence, there is no way Kali can be Yogini, there is no way this worldly goddess can be one and the same as Buddha Vajrayogini.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:39 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Posts: 2940
Location: Space is the Place
Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
I don't see your logic here, what makes it impossible? You are talking about symbolic representations now, not the actual energies at play anymore.



It is simple. Yogini emanated to suppress Kāli, just as Heruka emanated to suppress Bhairava. Hence, there is no way Kali can be Yogini, there is no way this worldly goddess can be one and the same as Buddha Vajrayogini.


You believe this to be literally true Namdrol?

_________________
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
I don't see your logic here, what makes it impossible? You are talking about symbolic representations now, not the actual energies at play anymore.



It is simple. Yogini emanated to suppress Kāli, just as Heruka emanated to suppress Bhairava. Hence, there is no way Kali can be Yogini, there is no way this worldly goddess can be one and the same as Buddha Vajrayogini.


You believe this to be literally true Namdrol?


I believe that this is the traditional account of the origin of all forms of Vajrayogini and hence, it is impossble for Yogini to be Kali.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:04 pm 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Posts: 2940
Location: Space is the Place
Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

It is simple. Yogini emanated to suppress Kāli, just as Heruka emanated to suppress Bhairava. Hence, there is no way Kali can be Yogini, there is no way this worldly goddess can be one and the same as Buddha Vajrayogini.


You believe this to be literally true Namdrol?


I believe that this is the traditional account of the origin of all forms of Vajrayogini and hence, it is impossble for Yogini to be Kali.


Unless those traditional accounts had more to do with Buddhist-Hindu competing interpretations at the time of their inception. . . My understanding is that the actual energies of these two are identical, however, it is a misunderstanding of certain qualities and symbolism that have led Hindu devotees to do terrible things like commit blood human and animal sacrifices in her name, etc. Perhaps the symbolism of these early accounts has more to do with purifying the context of devotion from this degeneration, and is framed as suppression in a colorful way to communicate this. Again, I am just offering an alternative way to interpret what you are putting forth as an absolute truth. I am sure there are more.

_________________
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Adamantine wrote:

Unless those traditional accounts had more to do with Buddhist-Hindu competing interpretations at the time of their inception. . . My understanding is that the actual energies of these two are identical, however, it is a misunderstanding of certain qualities and symbolism that have led Hindu devotees to do terrible things like commit blood human and animal sacrifices in her name, etc. Perhaps the symbolism of these early accounts has more to do with purifying the context of devotion from this degeneration, and is framed as suppression in a colorful way to communicate this. Again, I am just offering an alternative way to interpret what you are putting forth as an absolute truth. I am sure there are more.


This is a modern interpretation. Some Lama may have adopted it. I still think it is bunk.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 am
Posts: 682
Location: Canada
Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:

Unless those traditional accounts had more to do with Buddhist-Hindu competing interpretations at the time of their inception. . . My understanding is that the actual energies of these two are identical, however, it is a misunderstanding of certain qualities and symbolism that have led Hindu devotees to do terrible things like commit blood human and animal sacrifices in her name, etc. Perhaps the symbolism of these early accounts has more to do with purifying the context of devotion from this degeneration, and is framed as suppression in a colorful way to communicate this. Again, I am just offering an alternative way to interpret what you are putting forth as an absolute truth. I am sure there are more.


This is a modern interpretation. Some Lama may have adopted it. I still think it is bunk.


I think the only person qualified to answer that would be a high Lama who knows both parties personally. Many of these once mundane Gods have been practitioners and students of the Buddhas for aeons. If I kept my Samayas for a thousand years and used the powers of a God to accumulate merit progress on the path would be swift. To think of Gods as static and unchanging sounds like eternalism. Even very negative beings become miraculous protectors full of love when they accept guidance of the Aryas.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:42 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Posts: 2940
Location: Space is the Place
Nemo wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:

Unless those traditional accounts had more to do with Buddhist-Hindu competing interpretations at the time of their inception. . . My understanding is that the actual energies of these two are identical, however, it is a misunderstanding of certain qualities and symbolism that have led Hindu devotees to do terrible things like commit blood human and animal sacrifices in her name, etc. Perhaps the symbolism of these early accounts has more to do with purifying the context of devotion from this degeneration, and is framed as suppression in a colorful way to communicate this. Again, I am just offering an alternative way to interpret what you are putting forth as an absolute truth. I am sure there are more.


This is a modern interpretation. Some Lama may have adopted it. I still think it is bunk.


I think the only person qualified to answer that would be a high Lama who knows both parties personally. Many of these once mundane Gods have been practitioners and students of the Buddhas for aeons. If I kept my Samayas for a thousand years and used the powers of a God to accumulate merit progress on the path would be swift. To think of Gods as static and unchanging sounds like eternalism. Even very negative beings become miraculous protectors full of love when they accept guidance of the Aryas.


This was answered by a high Lama, fyi.

_________________
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Nemo wrote:

I think the only person qualified to answer that would be a high Lama who knows both parties personally. Many of these once mundane Gods have been practitioners and students of the Buddhas for aeons. If I kept my Samayas for a thousand years and used the powers of a God to accumulate merit progress on the path would be swift. To think of Gods as static and unchanging sounds like eternalism. Even very negative beings become miraculous protectors full of love when they accept guidance of the Aryas.


Umm, this is not the issue. Kali does not become Vajrayogini by mere fiat.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Adamantine wrote:

This was answered by a high Lama, fyi.


So called "High" Lamas also assert Meru Cosmology is true. I don't put much value in the assertions of "high" lamas when they contradict common sense.

N

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:56 am 
Offline
Former staff member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Posts: 2940
Location: Space is the Place
Namdrol wrote:
Adamantine wrote:

This was answered by a high Lama, fyi.


So called "High" Lamas also assert Meru Cosmology is true. I don't put much value in the assertions of "high" lamas when they contradict common sense.

N


Please check your PM box

_________________
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dharmasagara, Tenzin Dorje and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group