outer beauty, inner ugliness

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Luke

outer beauty, inner ugliness

Post by Luke »

A few months ago when I was riding on the train, I noticed that there was a beautiful, young blonde woman sitting across from me. Being a typical man, I kept surreptitiously looking over at her, enjoying the view.

Then she took out her wallet. I thought that she must be looking for some information or a credit card, but suddenly, she smacked her wallet hard against the windowsill several times and then brushed something small off it. It was then that I realized that she had only taken out her wallet in order to club a small insect to death.

It was the most jarring contrast between inner ugliness and outer beauty that I'd seen in a long time.
Annapurna

Re: outer beauty, inner ugliness

Post by Annapurna »

Luke, I understand that was a bizarre contrast for you. I would be equally taken aback, I'm sure.

Perhaps I would reflect on that, obviously, she accumulated some good karma, because she was reborn beautiful.

On the other hand, she is (still) ignorant of sentient life, as Buddhists see it.

I hope she will become aware of it.

Let's extend our metta to her and all others. And to ourselves.

Best wishes,

Anna :namaste:
My website: http://schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dexing

Post by Dexing »

Outer beauty and inner ugliness are both subjective perceptions/judgments.

No inside or outside, beauty or ugliness.

Only overcast or clear skies.

:namaste:
nopalabhyate...
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

This is a good story. I would have been jarred and taken aback too.

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Who has not killed an insect before?

New karma heaved upon the old one, that caused an angelic face....
My website: http://schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Luke

Post by Luke »

Annapurna wrote:Who has not killed an insect before?
Yes, you're right. I murdered hundreds of insects before I became a Buddhist and learned better. We each have blood on our hands, if not from this life, from a past one.

I know it's far from being the ultimate of evil acts--it's not like she set a bunny on fire--, but I guess it just so suddenly shattered all the pleasant ideas I was projecting onto her in my mind. It made me realize how you truly can't judge a person by appearances.
Annapurna wrote:New karma heaved upon the old one, that caused an angelic face....
Yes, I guess I would have liked to believe that she still possessed the benevolent mind which created her present outer beauty, but it seems that her mind has changed a great deal since that time.

Innumerable beings suffer from ignorance. Poor woman. Poor bug.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I guess it just so suddenly shattered all the pleasant ideas I was projecting onto her in my mind.
Yes, probably so....
It made me realize how you truly can't judge a person by appearances.
:anjali:
Yes, I guess I would have liked to believe that she still possessed the benevolent mind which created her present outer beauty
Of course.
but it seems that her mind has changed a great deal since that time.
Minds change constantly too. As a former poster said: she may just be like a clouded sky...

In between the clouds the sky is clear, and she will feed a kitten.

I guess she is like all of us, like you and me, still a little evil, but born on the rare, privileged, human level.

And she was our mother before.... She would have thrown her own body before a hungry tiger, to save her child....

I understand your sentiments. I was only last week in a similar situation. Somebody with a truly angelic face and wonderful smile lied at my expense, to save her own skin and escape 'punishment'...

I was shocked, disappointed and angered at first, (look how quickly I still fall into the defilement anger!), but now, all that is left is compassion. I understand she felt fear, because she messed up and it came into the daylight.

What is easier than blame someone else for own mistakes?

But it's such a trap, isn't it? :)

Metta,

Anna :namaste:
shel

Post by shel »

Well, her beauty will only last maybe 20 years at best, then she'll begin to get wrinkely, round and saggy. The bug might enentually look good by comparison.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Still stuck in dualism.

What is "ugly?" What is "beautiful?"

Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

shel wrote:Well, her beauty will only last maybe 20 years at best, then she'll begin to get wrinkely, round and saggy. The bug might enentually look good by comparison.
Ah, dear friend, Beauty doesn't pass when you get wrinkles, and not all women or men get round and saggy.

I depends on how well you keep yourself.

And what is shining through the surface.

shel

Post by shel »

The lady on the train will not be turning heads in 20 years, if not less.

Beauty fleeting.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

justsit wrote:Still stuck in dualism.

What is "ugly?" What is "beautiful?"

True but most of us aren't that advanced spiritually to realize that.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Before I became a Buddhist I killed a lot of bugs. I don't anymore though (when possible).
I may step on an ant or something unknowingly, but I don't pull out cans of Raid anymore.

Best,
Laura

Return to “Lounge”