Dharma Wheel

A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
MrDistracted wrote:
Thanks.



Just be aware, my course is more of a "How do you read the Kosha", rather than a line by line exposition. I cover the high points mainly, trying to make it practical Vajrayāna and Dzogchen practitioners.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Posts: 1952
It is good that enough rugged individualists have trod the narrow, winding path of Dharma translation into English that we have what we have now. But it is bad for the future if only a few 'hobbyists' decide to do this work.

Master Hua aimed high by encouraging many of his disciples to learn Chinese and translate the entire Tripitaka. Whether his DRBA is still producing new, competent translators I do not know. Mr Numata at BDK also has the same goal, but McCrae is dead and many, many more good workers are needed.

I believe it is vital for the survival of the buddhadharma to have Dharma translation schools being run by good translators who can also teach. Whether any or enough English-speaking Buddhist also care about this..... that is the question.

_________________
Only consider helping others and forget yourself. Master Hsuan Hua


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Will wrote:
It is good that enough rugged individualists have trod the narrow, winding path of Dharma translation into English that we have what we have now. But it is bad for the future if only a few 'hobbyists' decide to do this work.


$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:21 am
Posts: 1952
The main obstacle is not $$$ Namdrol - but the feeble will & devotion of those Buddhist Gurus, translators & Dharma protectors, to at least plant the seeds of such schools.

_________________
Only consider helping others and forget yourself. Master Hsuan Hua


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
Namdrol wrote:
There is only one way to be a text translator. Just do it.

First read a lot of books for five years and learn Dharma. Then learn source language. Meanwhile practice as much as you can.

Then, having learned the souce language's grammar, practice in that langauge and translate the shit out of texts for 6-10 years before you even produce something worthwhile. Spend the next ten years polishing your craft. Minimum 60 hours a week working on translations. Read books the rest of the time, when you are not practicing. Do not, under any circumstances, join a Buddhist studies program and so on. Do not expect to make a living. Expect to be poor for many years.

If you want to translate, learn the grammer, start translating and ask qualified people to look at your stuff -- oh and study Abhidharma first.

If you are a poor writer in English, either improve your English skills or abandon hope because your translations will always be hopeless garabage even if you have understood the texts. There is so much hopeless garbage out there it seems we will never dig our way out of it.

Having the blessings of your guru helps.

Many days I generally work from 8 am to around 9 pm, usually without much of a break. I don't do it to get paid, I do it because I love it. For example, this morning i began at 7 am. It is 10 pm. I am still working.

Also remember, if you are happy with your translation, it probably sucks.

N


Namdrol,

Have you ever thought of running a course like the Tibetan Language Institute for those that want to learn how to translate texts for their own personal use? A combination of video lectures online, forum discussion, and personal tutoring options? It'd be a great way for beginners to avoid the pitfalls that others have gone through in attempting to learn by themselves.

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
Mr. G wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
There is only one way to be a text translator. Just do it.

First read a lot of books for five years and learn Dharma. Then learn source language. Meanwhile practice as much as you can.

Then, having learned the souce language's grammar, practice in that langauge and translate the shit out of texts for 6-10 years before you even produce something worthwhile. Spend the next ten years polishing your craft. Minimum 60 hours a week working on translations. Read books the rest of the time, when you are not practicing. Do not, under any circumstances, join a Buddhist studies program and so on. Do not expect to make a living. Expect to be poor for many years.

If you want to translate, learn the grammer, start translating and ask qualified people to look at your stuff -- oh and study Abhidharma first.

If you are a poor writer in English, either improve your English skills or abandon hope because your translations will always be hopeless garabage even if you have understood the texts. There is so much hopeless garbage out there it seems we will never dig our way out of it.

Having the blessings of your guru helps.

Many days I generally work from 8 am to around 9 pm, usually without much of a break. I don't do it to get paid, I do it because I love it. For example, this morning i began at 7 am. It is 10 pm. I am still working.

Also remember, if you are happy with your translation, it probably sucks.

N


Namdrol,

Have you ever thought of running a course like the Tibetan Language Institute for those that want to learn how to translate texts for their own personal use? A combination of video lectures online, forum discussion, and personal tutoring options? It'd be a great way for beginners to avoid the pitfalls that others have gone through in attempting to learn by themselves.


I have been asked to teach others in the past, but no one stays with the program.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am
Posts: 683
Namdrol wrote:
http://rsl-ne.com/abhidharma1.shtml


Hi Namdrol,

Could you provide the new link for this course? I know I asked you this once before, but I can't seem to find the post. Thanks again.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
dakini_boi wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
http://rsl-ne.com/abhidharma1.shtml


Hi Namdrol,

Could you provide the new link for this course? I know I asked you this once before, but I can't seem to find the post. Thanks again.



That website no longer exists and I no longer have any relationship with that organization or its teacher due to personal differences.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:50 am
Posts: 545
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Namdrol wrote:
dakini_boi wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
http://rsl-ne.com/abhidharma1.shtml


Hi Namdrol,

Could you provide the new link for this course? I know I asked you this once before, but I can't seem to find the post. Thanks again.



That website no longer exists and I no longer have any relationship with that organization or its teacher due to personal differences.

Whoa!

So, will you ever get the chance to teach the Pramanavarttika as planned?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 12736
tomamundsen wrote:

Whoa!

So, will you ever get the chance to teach the Pramanavarttika as planned?


Not in the near future, no.

_________________
http://www.atikosha.org
http://www.bhaisajya.net
http://www.bhaisajya.guru
http://www.sakyapa.net
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

How can you not practice the highest Dharma
at this time of obtaining a perfect human body?

-- Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:04 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:26 pm
Posts: 142
Namdrol wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:
So, will you ever get the chance to teach the Pramanavarttika as planned?


Not in the near future, no.


Why not go it alone? There is plenty of free subscription style online classroom software nowadays.

_________________
སེམས་རྣམ་པར་གྲོལ་བར་བྱའི་ཕྱིར་བྱམས་པ་བསྒོམ་པར་བྱའོ།
“In order to completely liberate the mind, cultivate loving kindness.” -- Maitribhāvana Sūtra


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:36 am
Posts: 4027
Location: Spaceship Earth
mañjughoṣamaṇi wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
tomamundsen wrote:
So, will you ever get the chance to teach the Pramanavarttika as planned?


Not in the near future, no.


Why not go it alone? There is plenty of free subscription style online classroom software nowadays.

_________________
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:54 pm
Posts: 88
Will wrote:
The main obstacle is not $$$ Namdrol - but the feeble will & devotion of those Buddhist Gurus, translators & Dharma protectors, to at least plant the seeds of such schools.


The big problem is that so many teachers now speak English that people aren't as motivated to learn. It's good thing for students, but in terms of translation... *shrug* There are some very good, well-trained translators out there who don't translate because they want to get married, have kids, the house, need a full-time job for all that.

I'm teaching a Tibetan class now. What I'm trying is a six-week class, keeping it bite-sized and simple. Just get people able to recite -- and then see if anyone continues to the next six-week class. I've several interested already. It is depressing to do a long ongoing series and watch interest trickle off, so I'm trying to prevent that. Also, I make students pay for the materials/texts, just to send a message to the student-brain (located somewhere behind the hind-brain) that they are "registered" and therefore obligated to come for those six weeks. It's amazing how people don't want to waste the money they spent.

I've done all of it. Universities. One-on-one tutoring with Tibetan textbook authors, Khenpos, grad students. Going to the monasteries to learn direct from shedra students. Trading English-for-Tibetan classes with Tibetan speakers. What works for me might not work for someone else.

I find I learn fast from universities and at the monastery, but I lean on that support and my energy drops off after. The tutoring works well to keep things simmering, but progress is slow. Trading English-for-Tibetan lessons never works. I always end up just tutoring English, though hanging out together has been a great way to be immersed in Tibetan culture and learn things you just won't learn any other way.

There's no hard and fast rule about what works, except that it's all about the teacher, never about the program.

Sanskrit

University of Washington
Professor Richard Salomon and Professor Collett Cox are both wonderful teachers. Rich has an open, curious mind and treats every question like it's fresh. Collett is like a Sanskrit kindergarten teacher, so patient and sweet, with an air of gentle amusement. Also, a brilliant Abhidharma scholar.
http://depts.washington.edu/asianll/peo ... lomon.html
http://depts.washington.edu/asianll/peo ... llett.html

Tibetan

University of Virginia
I was told by Linda Iltis at UW that University of Wisconsin had the best Tibetan program. Then she learned that Tseten Chonje had moved from Wisconsin to UVA. She changed her mind, "Now UVA has the best Tibetan program." Gen Tseten Chonje is energetic and inspiring. His enthusiasm is compelling.
http://www.virginia.edu/summer/SLI/

Naropa & Nitartha Institute
I list these together because the Tibetan language teachers teach at both. So if you can't afford Naropa, do Nitartha's Tibetan. Acharya Lama Tenpa Gyaltsen is gentle and kind, gives the student a lot of room to grow. Professor Phil Stanley works hard and is gifted with both a talent for methodology and warm concern for others.
http://www.naropa.edu/academics/graduat ... aculty.cfm
http://www.nitarthainstitute.org/progra ... etan.shtml

_________________
Sengdongma has an easy job, because there are no enemies.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:51 am
Posts: 1471
It's also easy to under estimate the actual amount of time and effort it takes to really get the language ability alone up to the required level, let alone the deeper understanding of texts and teachings.

~~ Huifeng

_________________
My Prajñācāra Blog
Buddhist Studies at Fo Guang University, Taiwan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 5986
Location: Taiwan
simhamuka wrote:
There's no hard and fast rule about what works, except that it's all about the teacher, never about the program.


I think literacy is quite possible without a teacher provided you have enough motivation and effort.

If you make a hobby out of studying a classical language like Classical Chinese, Classical Tibetan, Sanskrit, Pali, Tangut or Khotanese, then it is an ongoing project that is both rewarding and enjoyable. :smile:

However, if it isn't a hobby from the start, then it'll be a chore.

_________________
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog) Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog) Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog) Dharma Depository (Site)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:54 pm
Posts: 88
Huifeng wrote:
It's also easy to under estimate the actual amount of time and effort it takes to really get the language ability alone up to the required level, let alone the deeper understanding of texts and teachings.

~~ Huifeng


That's very true. Sometimes it's two steps forward, one step back. I've decided language is like sediment: you just keep layering it in.

_________________
Sengdongma has an easy job, because there are no enemies.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:54 pm
Posts: 88
Huseng wrote:
simhamuka wrote:
There's no hard and fast rule about what works, except that it's all about the teacher, never about the program.


If you make a hobby out of studying a classical language like Classical Chinese, Classical Tibetan, Sanskrit, Pali, Tangut or Khotanese, then it is an ongoing project that is both rewarding and enjoyable. :smile:
...
However, if it isn't a hobby from the start, then it'll be a chore.


I love writing systems. When I was ten I used to want to write Cuneiform, and I started learning Tibetan by copying the seven line prayer on little slips of red paper (with my dad's gold calligraphy pen), without anyone to teach me. I got some of the letters wrong, but I was a kid. :D The great tragedy at UW was that I never got to take Professor Salomon's Ancient Writing Systems class. He used to play with me though, putting up Karoshti on the board and seeing if I could read it without his telling me. It was close enough to Tibetan that I usually could.

Quote:
I think literacy is quite possible without a teacher provided you have enough motivation and effort.


Oh absolutely. Other than writing systems I seem to do best in either university classes or one-on-one teachings. I'm definitely an oral learner.

_________________
Sengdongma has an easy job, because there are no enemies.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 pm
Posts: 1850
If anyone's interested...
http://www.esukhia.org/en/services/esukhia-learn/learn-tibetan
Quote:

Esukhia LEARN


Esukhia LEARN is creating modern methods to help preserve and promote the teachings of the Buddha and the Tibetan language and culture which form their main living medium.

The Tibetan language is the key to one of the richest philosophical and cultural traditions on earth. However, it’s under serious danger of becoming a dead language: there are serious restrictions in Tibet itself, many monasteries outside of Tibet are full of non-Tibetan students, and Tibetans themselves often prefer to study English, Hindi, Chinese or other languages depending on where they live.

Esukhia aims to preserve, revive and translate Tibetan into other languages; learning Tibetan is a very personal way in which one can help to keep the Buddha’s teaching alive.


Esukhia LEARN prepares and teaches online courses merging the modern (video-conference, e-learning platform, TFL methodology/Tibetan as a Foreign Language) with the traditional (trained teachers who graduated from Shedras or Tibetan universities).

Our range of 1-to-1 courses includes:

Tibetan Pronunciation and Reading (Esukhia LEARN method)
Spoken Tibetan (Manual of Standard Tibetan with Esukhia LEARN learning tools)
Philosophy Basics (Introduction to Buddhism by H.H. Dalai Lama)
Tibetan Grammar (Traditional texts taught using Esukhia LEARN method)
Literary Tibetan (Poetry, History, Tibetan Media)
Advanced Philosophy (Druptha, Lojong, Dudra)


Our teaching method

Esukhia LEARN approaches language learning the same way that you first learned a language — using a natural method that teaches language directly, without translation. That means no more confusing grammar explanations or mind-numbing vocabulary lists to memorize.

There are also wider benefits to learning with Esukhia. Tutoring jobs offer comparatively well-paid employment prospects for refugees and also encourage Tibetans to study their language at higher levels.


Esukhia LEARN’s benefits

High-quality lessons at an affordable price
Native-speaking tutors online (video chat) available on a daily basis
Proven methods and technologies
Conversation practice
Lessons on Buddhism, grammar and poetry for intermediate and advanced students
Excellent complement to instructor-led courses or private study
An opportunity for cultural exchange with Tibetan people
Flexible access, available any time, from anywhere
High social impact – employment and training opportunities for refugees

_________________
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group