Translators

Arnoud

Re: Translators

Post by Arnoud »

Sönam wrote: that it is a secondary practice that one practice depending on circumstances, JLA says that a lot of practices are necessary ... as an exemple, in the introduction of "Principes de la pureté primordiale" (on Khenpo Gangshar) he says about Dzogchen (my translation) : "The practitioner which engages in that Path must follows the following cursus of instruction", then follows a list of 9 retreats, some of them quite long, and six must be realized before to be introduced. In those retreats some concerne vajrayana practices (bskyed rim and rdzogs rim).
Sönam
Sönam,

Would you mind listing the 9 retreats JLA mentions? Also, where can I find Principes de la pureté primordiale? My French isn't perfect but I can get by.

Many thanks, C
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Clarence wrote:
Sönam wrote: that it is a secondary practice that one practice depending on circumstances, JLA says that a lot of practices are necessary ... as an exemple, in the introduction of "Principes de la pureté primordiale" (on Khenpo Gangshar) he says about Dzogchen (my translation) : "The practitioner which engages in that Path must follows the following cursus of instruction", then follows a list of 9 retreats, some of them quite long, and six must be realized before to be introduced. In those retreats some concerne vajrayana practices (bskyed rim and rdzogs rim).
Sönam
Sönam,

Would you mind listing the 9 retreats JLA mentions? Also, where can I find Principes de la pureté primordiale? My French isn't perfect but I can get by.

Many thanks, C
It has been published by les éditions Khyung-Lung which is not on the normal market. You can ask for the catalog at [email protected] ... this is very private/secret. But it is a very interesting publisher, with many titles.

About retreats ...
1) Ordinary preliminaries
2) Extrordinary preliminaries
3) zhi gnas and lhag mthong ... mental quietness and higher vision.
4) bskyed rim ... developping phase on Yidam. Minimum 100 days.
5) rdzogs rim ... perfection phase with steng sgo and 'og sgo instructions
6) external and internal disjunctions of samsara-nirvana. phyi nang 'khor 'das ru shan dbye ba.
7) 3 doors. sgo gsum sbyang ba.
8) rig pa'i rtsal dbang. khregs chod.
9) more than one retreat on thod rgal.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Thanks Sönam. Much appreciated.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

As his girlfriend, I think I have to answer some of what follows :
alpha wrote:It seems that quite a few people here had conections at some point with JLA.
It would seem so.
My exchange with him was short one i cant say much about how is he as a person.
Don't know who you are so I can't say what you know of him or not.
I know though a little bit about his stance regarding how one should approach the practice of dzoghen.
He has no personal idea about how to practice Dzogchen. He follows the tradition of Shardza Rinpoche. There is nothing "personal" there at all. Like it or not...
But i do not think that everybody revere him in the Bon world.
Sure, this is no secret, but there are reasons for that (see below).
I know first hand of a big row between him and shenten.
He has never been involved with Shenten Ling. He was the president of the Yundrung Bon Association (YBA) before it became Shenten Ling and he resigned because of the non-ethical behavior of people installed in the then future Shenten administration by the Khenpo of Triten Norbutsé (whose behavior was itself dramatically questioned by HH the Abbot of Menri).
And since 2008 or 2009 he is not any more involved with shenten affairs.
As stated above, he has never been involved with Shenten Ling.
This doesn't mean though he broke his connection with LTN.No ,not at all.
His connection with his root-master is pristine, no matter what the "translators" of Shenten Ling like to gossip about.
There is some bad air between him and some of the residents there and this row is mainly related to the translation work he has done for them.
No, he has not done a single translation for these people. He resigned from YBA because one of the person installed by the Khenpo was stealing money from YBA and using this money for his own private business and because others were just behaving without any ethical respect for the teachings. As the president JLA fired the thief but this person was re-installed by the other members of the YBA administration. So JLA resigned. He was asked by Lopon to come to Shenten but since many people there only live by gossip, usage of intoxicants and generally spit on the 10 virtues while pretending to be highly realized Dzogchenpas, JLA humbly refused and explained why to Lopon. So your info is wrong.
Instead he has his own little center near where he lives
Wrong again, JLA has no center (I guess he got more than fed up with the mentality of people in centers). He lives most of the time alone in retreat mode, rarely seeing anybody (including me!!!) :tantrum:
where one of his teachers is invited to teach once a year.Is not a center per se ,it is i think someone's house.
This is about 800 km from where JLA lives and it's indeed a private house belonging to one of his friends.
florin

Post by florin »

@ Mutsuk

Some of this information came from someone who in 2011 became part of the new administration of Shenten.
And you should understand that i have no beef with JLA whatsoever.In fact i admire his vast knowledge.
I think the way you write shows that you somewhat misunderstood the intention of my message.
And for your peace of mind i am not part of Shenten's clique and i never was.
mutsuk

Post by mutsuk »

Dear alpha,
I'm sorry my answers sounded rude, this was not intended at all. It's true that I'm fed up with people talking about JLA without knowing him and repeating things without knowing what has happened with Shenten. But I was not intending to be rude. If it sounded like this I'm sincerely sorry.
Some of this information came from someone who in 2011 became part of the new administration of Shenten.
This someone is most apparently ill-informed.
And you should understand that i have no beef with JLA whatsoever.In fact i admire his vast knowledge.
I do understand that, sorry again if my prose sounded rude.
I think the way you write shows that you somewhat misunderstood the intention of my message.
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought it was time to state things about what happened, and not about what people think has happened. I was not intentionally involving you in that matter.
And for your peace of mind i am not part of Shenten's clique and i never was.
My mind is at peace (despite maybe my incapacities at saying things nicely in english) and I never intended to include you in that "clique" at all since I don't know you. :shrug:
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

mutsuk wrote:As his girlfriend, I think I have to answer some of what follows :
alpha wrote:It seems that quite a few people here had conections at some point with JLA.
It would seem so.
My exchange with him was short one i cant say much about how is he as a person.
Don't know who you are so I can't say what you know of him or not.
I know though a little bit about his stance regarding how one should approach the practice of dzoghen.
He has no personal idea about how to practice Dzogchen. He follows the tradition of Shardza Rinpoche. There is nothing "personal" there at all. Like it or not...
But i do not think that everybody revere him in the Bon world.
Sure, this is no secret, but there are reasons for that (see below).
I know first hand of a big row between him and shenten.
He has never been involved with Shenten Ling. He was the president of the Yundrung Bon Association (YBA) before it became Shenten Ling and he resigned because of the non-ethical behavior of people installed in the then future Shenten administration by the Khenpo of Triten Norbutsé (whose behavior was itself dramatically questioned by HH the Abbot of Menri).
And since 2008 or 2009 he is not any more involved with shenten affairs.
As stated above, he has never been involved with Shenten Ling.
This doesn't mean though he broke his connection with LTN.No ,not at all.
His connection with his root-master is pristine, no matter what the "translators" of Shenten Ling like to gossip about.
There is some bad air between him and some of the residents there and this row is mainly related to the translation work he has done for them.
No, he has not done a single translation for these people. He resigned from YBA because one of the person installed by the Khenpo was stealing money from YBA and using this money for his own private business and because others were just behaving without any ethical respect for the teachings. As the president JLA fired the thief but this person was re-installed by the other members of the YBA administration. So JLA resigned. He was asked by Lopon to come to Shenten but since many people there only live by gossip, usage of intoxicants and generally spit on the 10 virtues while pretending to be highly realized Dzogchenpas, JLA humbly refused and explained why to Lopon. So your info is wrong.
Instead he has his own little center near where he lives
Wrong again, JLA has no center (I guess he got more than fed up with the mentality of people in centers). He lives most of the time alone in retreat mode, rarely seeing anybody (including me!!!) :tantrum:
where one of his teachers is invited to teach once a year.Is not a center per se ,it is i think someone's house.
This is about 800 km from where JLA lives and it's indeed a private house belonging to one of his friends.

Tashi delek,

I fully agree with your statements here about JLA. :applause:
He indeed is a fan / follower of Shardza Tashi and follows the way of the wounded deer.

It is all like i am informed.

Mutsog Marro
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
Pero

Post by Pero »

heart wrote:In my own Sangha for example many received Rushan instructions but not very many practiced them, many where asked to do Ngondro but still not everyone did it or finished it. So people do as they please, I am sure that happens in the DC to?
Why Magnus, what ever made you think that? We, of course, do everything as we're told. :tongue:
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sönam wrote:
Clarence wrote:
Sönam
Sönam,

Many thanks, C
It has been published by les éditions Khyung-Lung which is not on the normal market. You can ask for the catalog at [email protected] ... this is very private/secret. But it is a very interesting publisher, with many titles.

About retreats ...
6) external and internal disjunctions of samsara-nirvana. phyi nang 'khor 'das ru shan dbye ba.

Sönam

This is all covered in SMS training.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

Namdrol wrote:
Sönam wrote:
About retreats ...

Sönam

The question was ... is it a must like JLA consideres it.

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Namdrol wrote:
Sönam wrote:
About retreats ...

Sönam

In SMS, one actually does the traditional ngondro?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dakini_boi wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Sönam wrote:
About retreats ...

Sönam

In SMS, one actually does the traditional ngondro?
One to three weeks of each (sans prostrations).
heart

Post by heart »

Pero wrote:
heart wrote:In my own Sangha for example many received Rushan instructions but not very many practiced them, many where asked to do Ngondro but still not everyone did it or finished it. So people do as they please, I am sure that happens in the DC to?
Why Magnus, what ever made you think that? We, of course, do everything as we're told. :tongue:
Right, I stand corrected :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
heart

Post by heart »

Sönam wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
Sönam wrote:
About retreats ...

Sönam

Sönam
I guess it is, if you are following the SMS training.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:

/magnus
If you ever wish to get to level II it is. But SMS is not a requirement, for example, AFAIK, Longsal and SMS are not related. SMS is for people who want to have more detailed explanation of the fine points.
heart

Post by heart »

Namdrol wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus
If you ever wish to get to level II it is. But SMS is not a requirement, for example, AFAIK, Longsal and SMS are not related. SMS is for people who want to have more detailed explanation of the fine points.
That is my point actually.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Dzogchen”