a simple Guru Rinpoche meditation from a Jonang rinpoche

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Luke

a simple Guru Rinpoche meditation from a Jonang rinpoche

Post by Luke »

Last weekend, I had the privilege of receiving teachings and empowerments from the Jonang lama H.E. Chokyi Nangwa Rinpoche during his tour of Europe. The feeling during this rinpoche's empowerments was incredibly powerful and I encourage anyone who has the opportunity to meet him.

http://www.jonangmonasteryshimla.com/H. ... angpa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He was originally going to give us a Guru Rinpoche empowerment, but at the last minute, he decided to give us a White Mahakala empowerment from the Shangpa Kagyu lineage instead. However, he still gave us teachings about Guru Rinpoche and taught us this simple meditation (which does not require a Guru Rinpoche empowerment because he didn't give us one):

-Visualize Guru Rinpoche in front of you as you recite "OM AH HUNG BENZA GURU PEMA SIDDHI HUNG" 100 times (this is what he said, but I assume he meant 108, since malas have this number of beads).
-Then feel that Guru Rinpoche wants to give you his blessings out of his great kindness.
-Visualize the white syllable OM coming out from Guru Rinpoche's head and entering your head, which purifies your body.
-Visualize the red syllable AH coming out from Guru Rinpoche's throat and entering your throat, which purifies your speech.
-Visualize the black (yes, black. Not blue) syllable HUNG coming out from Guru Rinpoche's heart and entering your heart, which purifies your mind.
-Think that you and Guru Rinpoche are both of the same essence.

I kept a look out for anything during the teachings or empowerments which was "distinctly Jonang," but I didn't notice anything. He wore a crimson robe with a yellow "shawl"/outer robe (I don't know the proper name for this) which looked exactly the same as the one a visiting Drikung Kagyu rinpoche had worn. He wore a hat during one empowerment which looked like a Gelug hat (you know, like the kind Tsongkhapa is always wearing in thangkas).

I suppose the uniqueness of the Jonang tradition is more internal. Their unique method is their Kalachakra yoga, but Chokyi Nangwa Rinpoche didn't discuss this during this weekend.
muni

Re: a simple Guru Rinpoche meditation from a Jonang rinpoche

Post by muni »

:namaste: Just simple wonderful!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”