YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

What are the "three types of stream-winners"? - Dhamma Wheel

What are the "three types of stream-winners"?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
starter

What are the "three types of stream-winners"?

Postby starter » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:58 am

Hi friend,

Your kind input into my previous posts have been most appreciated. I have another question here:

In AN 10.63, "the Buddha describes ten types of individuals .... Of the ten types, he adds, the ni.t.thaa — or completion of the training — of five occurs (or will occur) here in the human realm, the ni.t.thaa of five occurs away from here. In the first five, he includes three types of stream-winners, once-returners (this item is omitted from the PTS translation), and those who attain arahantship in the present life. In the latter five, he includes five types of non-returners" (Ven. Thanissaro MN 27 footnote 5).

I can't find English AN 10.63 online, and would appreciate that some friend kindly explains what the "three types of stream-winners" are. Metta,

Starter

Individual

Re: What are the "three types of stream-winners"?

Postby Individual » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:01 am

If I knew either the name of the sutta or what numbering system AN 10.63 stood for, I could find the sutta. I wish people would stop using numbering systems without specifying which one it is, or that a universal standard would be established. :)
The best things in life aren't things.

Individual

Postby Individual » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:45 am

Individual

Postby Individual » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:59 am

starter

Postby starter » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:37 am

Hi Individual, thanks for being always helpful. As to your comment "I wish people would stop using numbering systems without specifying which one it is, or that a universal standard would be established", I recommend that both the numbering system and the sutta-naming systems be used. Metta, Starter

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”