Online Zen Buddhist Temple

tracefleeman

Online Zen Buddhist Temple

Post by tracefleeman »

I'm coding an online Zen Buddhist temple for people (like me) who don't have a temple near them. But I'm far (VERY far) from enlightenment, and I need some help running it. I'm going to register the domain in a few hours, and as we speak i'm uploading all the files.

Would anyone like to help us here? We could really use a hand :smile: .
Mr. G

Re: Online Zen Buddhist Temple

Post by Mr. G »

I don't understand. What will the function of this online Zen Buddhist temple be?
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

There have been attempts at such things as online zendos in the past. Unfortunately, history doesn't offer an example of a successful one (that is, one that lives up to the name and really functions as a place in which one can learn and practice Buddhism).

Unless someone knows of one that I do not...?
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

This is not a recommendation, but to note the existence of one:

http://www.treeleaf.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treeleaf.org/teachers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

''Treeleaf Zendo was designed specifically as an online practice place for Zen practitioners who cannot easily commute to a Zen .''
Left
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

I don't know how you imagine an online Zen temple. What should be clear, is that a temple is a place of religious service. People go there to get something. Most of the time rituals. Even in a Zen temple. It can also be a place of worship, as it usually houses a buddha statue, sutras, and occasionally relics. Temples also have at least one priest to do the services. Question is then, are you a priest, or do you know one to serve in the online temple? Another function of temples is community life. The online form of community life is found in forums, chatrooms and networking sites. Are you planning to have that too?
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
shel

Post by shel »

I'm willing to help. I could easily do a site like treeleaf. In fact it would be easy to improve on that model with custom design, rather than lame templates, and better functionality. Plus it could be fully developed. :tongue: And as for teachers, just about anyone would be an improvement. I don't think that would be a problem at all.

PM if you're interested, and if not, good luck. :smile:
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I tried to register but why is it requesting parent or guardian signatures in the registration process? . .
SonofRage

Post by SonofRage »

Wesley1982 wrote:I tried to register but why is it requesting parent or guardian signatures in the registration process? . .
Pay closer attention to the registration process. You likely put that your birth date was in 1999 and you are 12 year old or something.

-Sam

Return to “Zen”