Eating Meat vs. Drinking Alcohol--Which is worse?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).

Which do you think is worse?

Eating meat
33%
Drinking alcohol
47%
Neither: They are equally bad
20%

Total votes: 30

kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Eating Meat vs. Drinking Alcohol--Which is worse?

Postby kirtu » Thu May 13, 2010 3:32 am

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Clueless Git

Postby Clueless Git » Thu May 13, 2010 9:37 am

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Thu May 13, 2010 1:28 pm

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Thu May 13, 2010 3:08 pm

One problem that comes to mind is that, at least in my observation, few people who might identify as a vegetarian for some time follow it through the rest of their lives. Being vegetarian when you're young is easy because social pressures are few.

Unfortunately the pressures of society, one's job and family often gradually force people to give up their vegetarian lifestyle so as to better conform to the expectations of others.

Unless all your friends and associates are of like mind, always sticking out as the vegetarian can be a bit tiresome.

"Let's have ribs. Oh, uh, yeah, you'll have to order a salad for yourself or something..." :|

In a workplace too it might be troublesome to always have to ask for special dishes. To constantly be thought of as "the vegetarian" who must be always considered.

So, to just give in and go with the flow makes life easier.

Thus, I think the amount of people who identify as vegetarian will not be consistent.

I pray I maintain my vegetarianism until I die, but no guarantees I guess. I find the smell of meat revolting and dislike even looking at it. However, a senior to me recently said to me, "I used to be idealistic when I was young too. I used to be vegetarian too."

Maybe I should just ordain and hang out in Chinese temples the rest of my life. Peer pressure will ensure I'll conform to the status quo of veganism. :yinyang:
tad etat sarvajñānaṃ karuṇāmūlaṃ bodhicittahetukam upāyaparyavasānam iti |

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Thu May 13, 2010 3:57 pm

HH Chetsang Rinpoche

do_not_zzz

Postby do_not_zzz » Sun May 16, 2010 1:16 pm

I haven't read every single post on here, but I couldn't help but notice the first few posts on this thread. In particular, with accepting meat to eat if it is already dead. For myself, it is not so much of an issue, eating meat that is. But what makes me a vegetarian, is the practice of factory farming.

And more than 80% of our meat in developed nations comes from "kill floors" etc. I can see how this principle might have worked a few hundred years ago, but for myself, it is almost impossible for me to eat mindfully, knowing how these animals were killed, and how they experienced such suffering right before their deaths.

The movie, Jungle Burger, first generated my vegetarianism. Followed by the harder-to-watch, Earthlings. Food Inc. is also tremendous, and doesn't make it's arguments with so much "shock" footage that the others do.

Just my two cents:)

In Metta

dnz

Zhaxi Cairang

Postby Zhaxi Cairang » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:10 pm

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:40 am

tad etat sarvajñānaṃ karuṇāmūlaṃ bodhicittahetukam upāyaparyavasānam iti |

remm

Postby remm » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:18 am

remm

Postby remm » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:38 am

neverdowell

Postby neverdowell » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:04 am

Sorry for jumping in like this for my first post, but I just want to say that was an excellent post remm.

I would say that eating meat is worse because you probably share in the karma of killing. At least that's what I suspect, because you share in the good karma of building a temple or feeding monks by donating towards them, so it seems like a mirror image to me. Even so, some people need to eat meat, including the Tibetans who have no choice because not enough vegetables grow in the cold of Tibet.

If alcohol causes you to hurt people with words, physically harming, and spreading cynical world views, maybe it could be worse than eating meat. Could it have permanent negative side effects on the mind-body complex as well, hindering enlightenment? Maybe.

To wax practically for a moment, I think it's worth trying to go vegetarian or reducing meat consumption to the bare minimum required(?). For me it's simple, I started off reducing meat consumption then stopped eating it completely. It didn't take long for my taste preference to change and fully appreciate wholly vegetarian foods. I feel less emotional (reduced anger and sexual desire particularly) and have more equanimity. Initially I missed the dull, heavy feeling that meat brought, but not anymore. Also, it has become more obvious over time that it feels wrong to kill an animal for food if it's not necessary. I think that is a manifestation of compassion. When I see meat I see an animal in it. It barely looks like food anymore.

:pig:

Also, the Karma Sutra says that refraining from meat is a cause to be intelligent in your next life.

Edit: sorry for editing this post so many times.

Return to “Lounge”