How are teachers like Mangos?

Mr. G

Re: How are teachers like Mangos?

Post by Mr. G »

Off Topic Posts removed.

:focus:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

I recently received an empowerment from Dzogchen Rinpoche who seemed 'ripe' enough and the empowerment has been of great help to me.

As head of Dzogchen Monastery and 7th Dzogchen Rinpoche, I note here that he seems to have a connection to Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche, which is surely then a good thing :

http://news.palyul.org/2012/03/24/new-s ... -rinpoche/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Left
Josef

Post by Josef »

Blue Garuda wrote:I recently received an empowerment from Dzogchen Rinpoche who seemed 'ripe' enough and the empowerment has been of great help to me.

As head of Dzogchen Monastery and 7th Dzogchen Rinpoche, I note here that he seems to have a connection to Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche, which is surely then a good thing :

http://news.palyul.org/2012/03/24/new-s ... -rinpoche/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good for you BG.
I havent had the chance to meet him yet but in my opinion this is a pretty good way to go in terms of finding a teacher one can be confident in.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Since Dzogchen Rinpoche is Sogyal Rinpoche's brother,
I would bet he has excellent English. Is that a good guess?
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

ngodrup wrote:Since Dzogchen Rinpoche is Sogyal Rinpoche's brother,
I would bet he has excellent English. Is that a good guess?

His English is excellent, and he has a warm and approachable manner. I was one of about 50 at the empowerment, so it was an intimate affair.

I went to him for a specific empowerment another Nyingma Lama had advised me to seek out to remove certain obstructions.

As Namdrol said, we need to assess a Guru for ourselves, and I believe positive karma ripened for me when I was led to Dzogchen Rinpoche. :)
Last edited by Blue Garuda on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Left
udawa

Post by udawa »

The best in my experience are honey mangoes from Pakistan. They come shipped in really crappy cardboard boxes and often look a bit worse for wear on the outside. Nonetheless, they are delicious. Other kinds look much more promising, but turn out to be a bit insipid, or tasteless.

Not sure what this adds to this particular discussion though.

D
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Some gurus are like Durian Fruit .

It tastes sweet and delicious, until you notice later that something smells rotten, including yourself.
Left
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Sönam wrote:I like the term Ripe ... because after a while it becomes Rotten
Good one. Here's another:

Teachers are like mangoes, because if you dig deep enough, all you find is the pit.

(edit: just to clarify in case anyone doesn't get it; this is just a joke, nothing serious here, of course there are plenty of good teachers.)
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Teachers are like mangoes, because if you dig deep enough, all you find is the pit.

(edit: just to clarify in case anyone doesn't get it; this is just a joke, nothing serious here, of course there are plenty of good teachers.)
you mean the pith I presume ...

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

In slang usage, the seed in the middle; also for something unpleasant, inedible, no good, etc.
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

That's great BG, glad you've made a meaningful connection with Dzogchen Rinpoche.
s.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

David N. Snyder wrote:In slang usage, the seed in the middle; also for something unpleasant, inedible, no good, etc.
I had a look in the dictionary ... It was just a line thrown :juggling:

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
blackpath

Post by blackpath »

As the 7th Mangoling Rinpoche once wrote in the Elucidation of the Distant Mango Lassi Lamp, "The teacher who is like a ripe mango is awesome with awesome sauce".
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Namdrol wrote: Dzogchen should be learned from a ripe master. There are very few of those -- meet them while you still have a chance. I just mentioned two.
Yes you are right, Dzogchen must be learned from a ripe master. I wasn't paying attention to the context, sorry.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Ten years later a student poring over dusty manuscripts in a temple basement in Tibet discovers where everyone in the West went wrong. It turns out the passage doesn't say "ripe master" it says "rime master". :rolling:
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
muni

Post by muni »

It is all OWN MIND How they appaer is how "own mind" react on "them", that reaction gets qualification.

A Dzogchen master qualifies a students' mind, whether ripen or not...no, now that mind whether ripen or not, qualifies the Dzogchen masters.

Those who see my body as ordinary form
and hear my voice as ordinary sound
Have set out upon a mistaken path.
Such people do not truly see me.
Last edited by muni on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

You lost me there, muni... :lol:
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

....and me.
s.
muni

Post by muni »

What i say is simple, not the Dharmakaya sees the ripen students, in modern days the students sees the ripen master.
Last edited by muni on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Care to elaborate? :smile:

Return to “Dzogchen”