Meditating at Nighttime

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Wesley1982

Meditating at Nighttime

Post by Wesley1982 »

Do people usually meditate during the day or at night? . .What did the Buddha say about the separation of light and darkness? . .
catmoon
Former staff member

Re: Meditating at Nighttime

Post by catmoon »

A lot of people meditate once in the morning and once in the evening. Some do a brief meditation every four or six hours around the clock, others sit now and then, some don't sit at all.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

The Buddha advised his disciples to sleep during the middle period of the night, though in other scriptures he discourages indulging in sleep. One can crave and relish sleep to the point it becomes a hindrance.

I personally prefer to meditate at night, especially when I'm in monasteries, but anywhere else really. The reason for this is that during the daytime it is frequently noisy. Night is best as it is quiet, most people will be sound asleep and the atmosphere is relaxed.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Some practices are better done, and more effective, during the day and others at night.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

You can try Dream Yoga.
maybay

Post by maybay »

The sun shines by day
The moon shines by night
The warrior shines in his armor
The Brahmin shines in his meditation
But the Buddha shines with effulgence both day and night

- Dhammapada
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Follow a regular sleep pattern? my mom would say "Why do you get up so early?" then she would say "Why do you sleep all day?" So . . . hmm
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

One problem is that meditating just before you go to bed could cause you to become too energized and then you can't fall asleep. Another problem could be that you become too drowsy and your meditation is dull (and this could happen in the early morning as well).

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Infinite

Post by Infinite »

kirtu wrote:One problem is that meditating just before you go to bed could cause you to become too energized and then you can't fall asleep. Another problem could be that you become too drowsy and your meditation is dull (and this could happen in the early morning as well).

Kirt
I don't know I found I fall asleep much easier after meditating and have rather vivid dreams. Typically it is a drag to fall asleep otherwise.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Sometimes when i meditate before sleep, while on bed, it may happen 2 opposite things: 1) i may be overenergized and then will take too long to fall asleep or 2) i may fall asleep very fast and have a good sleep.

Thats strange!
NIRMAL2

Post by NIRMAL2 »

I started meditating day and night after retirement but somehow it has been always better at night.The regular sittings are from 8 to 9 pm at all our meditation centers and our Guru also meditates at our main meditation center about 900 km away at this time.Then again,I love the sound of crickets that fills my ears at night.Tne sound of crickets somehow helps to settle the mind and creates a peaceful atmosphere suitable for a good sitting. It is the sound of silencing the mind and I feel that I am sitting deep in the jungle.I also like to meditate at 3am as the meditation is somehow different at that time.

I have also been advised to get up and sit in front of the altar to meditate for about half an hour whenever I cannot sleep.I dont have to worry about getting up early as one of the joys of retirement is I let my body get up when it has enough sleep.Just sharing.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Nirmal, it seems that you are getting a very nice, relaxing and good experience on your retirement.

I have no idea how it works: do you pay for it? For how long? Wich country are you doing the retirement?

Here in Portugal i think that such experience is near impossible.
NIRMAL2

Post by NIRMAL2 »

Hi Nosta,
In Malaysia, all government servants have to retire at the age of 60.They are given a pension which is a fixed sum of money paid monthly to a person following a retirement from service.The pension that they receive monthly is about 60 percent of the last drawn salary.When I die, my wife will be given my monthly pension till she passes away too..Pensioners are also given a lump sum of money of about RM150,000 known as gratuity as an appreciation from the government for the years of service as soon as they retire.
http://www.malaysia.gov.my/EN/Relevant% ... cheme.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://jpt.mohe.gov.my/RUJUKAN/akta/aka ... n%2080.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Ohh! I am sorry, only now i saw my mistake: i tought that retirement was the same as being in a retirement for budhists, i mean, to be in a temple for some days.

Only now i understand that you were talking about not working more. So, when i asked about the price of a retirement, i was asking (wrongly) for how much you were paying for being in a buddhist temple (something that you are not doing, now i see).

In my country, Portugal, the age is around 60 i think. I am not sure because they are always changing the rules (for worst). But its more or less the same as there.

Anyway, thanks for your clarification and sorry about my confusion (my english sometimes tricks me).
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

a) Gautama Buddha Shakyamuni Buddha -silent chant-

b) Siddhatha Gotama Buddha Shakyamuni Buddha -silent chant-

c) Siddhatha Gotama Buddha Shakyamuni Buddha -silent chant-

d) Gautama Buddha Shakaymuni Buddha -silent chant-

X3 :meditate:
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Meditation at nighttime really does work for me. :|