How are teachers like Mangos?

Malcolm

How are teachers like Mangos?

Post by Malcolm »

Qualified masters are extremely rare and hard to discern. They are like mangoes.

There are some teachers who look ripe and are ripe; some teachers who look ripe but are not ripe; some teachers who look unripe but are ripe; and some teachers who look unripe and are unripe.

If you find the first type of teacher or the third, fantastic. If you wind up with two or four, good luck.

Make sure your master has a real lineage.

There are many people out there these days who promote themselves as "Dzogchen masters", "tertons", "tulkus" and so on. There are many gullible people in America, etc., and many unethical people who don't mind taking advantage of them.

So be careful.

N
florin

Re: How are teachers like Mangos?

Post by florin »

While checking a master's qualifications there is the risk of wasting precious time because only spending enough time with a teacher or attending his teaching will put you in a position to make an informed decision.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Namdrol wrote:Qualified masters are extremely rare and hard to discern. They are like mangoes.

There are some teachers who look ripe and are ripe; some teachers who look ripe but are not ripe; some teachers who look unripe but are ripe; and some teachers who look unripe and are unripe.

If you find the first type of teacher or the third, fantastic. If you wind up with two or four, good luck.

Make sure your master has a real lineage.

There are many people out there these days who promote themselves as "Dzogchen masters", "tertons", "tulkus" and so on. There are many gullible people in America, etc., and many unethical people who don't mind taking advantage of them.

So be careful.

N
Excellent advice.
In a perfect world this wouldnt be a concern, but then again, a perfect world probably wouldnt be samsara.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

alpha wrote:While checking a master's qualifications there is the risk of wasting precious time because only spending enough time with a teacher or attending his teaching will put you in a position to make an informed decision.
I prefer to waste a little of my precious time for checking the teacher before I trust him/her, than wasting my whole precious life by following fake gurus with wrong views! ;)
Thank you, Namdrol. This is an important warning for everybody! :twothumbsup:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Paul

Post by Paul »

Could you please name those you consider ripe (or indeed unripe)?
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Paul wrote:Could you please name those you consider ripe (or indeed unripe)?
Oh, that is easy -- Chogyal Namkhai Norbu and Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche.

As for the rest, people will have to go and check them out on the fruit stand personally.

N
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Namdrol wrote:

As for the rest, people will have to go and check them out on the fruit stand personally.
The whole of the Tibetan Buddhist world cannot learn just from two, three, four, five teachers even if we only go on a kind of retreat with them once a year. It might be better in a way just to go with semi-ripe teachers who themselves might have no or low realization but are ethical and non-harming and do teach Buddhadharma to the best of their ability. Times are tough in a way. In another way we are already inundated with a massive banquet of Dharma.

Lineage holders have to do their best to pass on the lineage for the next several generations (not just the next one) so their main focus has to be this activity.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Nicholas Weeks

Re: How to choose a guru

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here is a traditional way to appraise gurus; even if all 10 are not there, yet if 3 or 4 are, that may be the best you will find these days:
Maitreya says in his Ornament for the Mahayana Sutras (Mahayana-sutralamkara):

Rely on a Mahayana teacher who is disciplined, serene, thoroughly pacified;
Has good qualities surpassing those of the students; is energetic; has a wealth of scriptural knowledge;
Possesses loving concern; has thorough knowledge of reality and skill in instructing disciples;
And has abandoned dispiritedness.
Or as Thurman's version puts it:
17:10. One should serve a (spiritual) friend who is disciplined, tranquil, serene, outstanding in good qualities, energetic, rich in (knowledge of) scripture, awakened to reality, skilled in speech, compassionate, and indefatigable.

A friend with these qualities is the ground of service. "Disciplined" means that the senses are restrained due to moral discipline. "Tranquil" means that the mind is internally quieted by discipline in meditative concentration. "Serene" means the instinctual addictions are eradicated by the discipline of wisdom. "Outstanding in good qualities" means that he is unequalled and non-deficient. "Energetic" means that he is not indifferent to the welfare of others. "Rich in scripture" means that his learning is not inferior. "Awakened to reality" means that he understands reality. "Skilled in speech" means that he is skilled in the techniques of speaking. "Compassionate" means that his mind is free from the desire for material possessions. "Indefatigable" means that he teaches the Dharma continuously and reverently.
Last edited by Nicholas Weeks on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

The whole of the Tibetan Buddhist world cannot learn just from two, three, four, five teachers even if we only go on a kind of retreat with them once a year.
I was not making a global statement. Paul asked me who I thought was "ripe", and the context here is Dzogchen masters. I do not know other Dzogchen masters, apart from ones who have passed away. This is not a dis against other teachers.

Dzogchen should be learned from a ripe master. There are very few of those -- meet them while you still have a chance. I just mentioned two.

N
krodha

Post by krodha »

They certainly are few and far between, Lopon Tenzin Namdak and Chatral Rinpoche also come to mind(though I don't know them personally). I'm sure there's some dark horses out there who have yet to (or may never) publicly grace us as well. The true heavy hitters (who are still living) could very well be in the single digits though, would not surprise me in the least.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

Well that's an interesting point of view.
Josef

Post by Josef »

ngodrup wrote:Well that's an interesting point of view.
What?
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Paul

Post by Paul »

Namdrol wrote: Dzogchen should be learned from a ripe master. There are very few of those -- meet them while you still have a chance. I just mentioned two.

N
What exactly is "ripe", anyway?
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Never mind.
Last edited by Arnoud on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Paul wrote:
Namdrol wrote: Dzogchen should be learned from a ripe master. There are very few of those -- meet them while you still have a chance. I just mentioned two.

N
What exactly is "ripe", anyway?
Ripe would be at least 3rd vision. So few are at that level.

I think it was Namdrol who said it took Kunzang Dechen Lingpa 7 years in strict Thogal retreat to reach 3rd vision.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Kunzang Dechen Lingpa:
From http://tibetanaltar.blogspot.co.uk/2009 ... haras.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

I like the term Ripe ... because after a while it becomes Rotten

Sönam
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
heart

Post by heart »

Sönam wrote:I like the term Ripe ... because after a while it becomes Rotten

Sönam
That might be true for mango's, not Guru's though. The 4th vision is even better. :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
florin

Post by florin »

Did CNNR reach the 3d vision?
Just curious. Not that it matters.
He is a great teacher anyway. :smile:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote:
Sönam wrote:I like the term Ripe ... because after a while it becomes Rotten

Sönam
That might be true for mango's, not Guru's though. The 4th vision is even better. :smile:

/magnus

We can consider the fourth vision, the exhaustion of dharmatā, rotten. So indeed a rotten guru is even better than a ripe one.

Return to “Dzogchen”