Nighthawk wrote: treehuggingoctopus wrote:
Not cool brah.
Why exactly not cool, pray explain?
JPII hype is utter and complete bollocks. The truth is that's the guy who:
1. all his life strove hard to undo the liberal Second Vatican Council reforms and replace it with a hard, well-defined and centred party line
2. was best buddies with leading right-wing dictators in South America
3. did his best to destroy liberation theology
4. engaged in an 'ecumenic' dialogue - which in truth was an uneasy conversation with Judaism and Orthodox and Protestant Christianity; no other denomination proved good enough. His portrayal of Buddhism in Crossing the Threshold of Hope is as scathing as it is wildly inaccurate
5. worked very, very hard against the so-called 'civilization of death' (cf. the 'rotten West' Stalinists ranted about) - which was/is in fact the liberal, tolerance-based kind of society most of us take for granted these days
6. fought to limit the use of contraceptives, the move that proved particularly fatal in Africa, for obvious reasons
7. was misogynistic to the very bone
8. regularly covered sex abuse scandals
Quite a paragon of virtue indeed.
. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .