Are religious Americans really this stupid?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
treehuggingoctopus

Re: Are religious Americans really this stupid?

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Wesley1982 wrote:
treehuggingoctopus wrote:
plwk wrote:Watch this and find out...
It's not an American problem only. I only wish one conducted such a survey in some European countries - Poland, for instance . . .
Poland is where blessed Pope John Paul II originated from.
Blessed. Right. :rolling:
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
ryu

Post by ryu »

mmmm.....small things small minds
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Wesley1982 wrote:
treehuggingoctopus wrote:Watch this and find out...

Poland is where blessed Pope John Paul II originated from.
Blessed. Right. :rolling:
Not cool brah.
treehuggingoctopus

Nighthawk wrote:
treehuggingoctopus wrote:Blessed. Right. :rolling:
Not cool brah.
Why exactly not cool, pray explain?

JPII hype is utter and complete bollocks. The truth is that's the guy who:

1. all his life strove hard to undo the liberal Second Vatican Council reforms and replace it with a hard, well-defined and centred party line
2. was best buddies with leading right-wing dictators in South America
3. did his best to destroy liberation theology
4. engaged in an 'ecumenic' dialogue - which in truth was an uneasy conversation with Judaism and Orthodox and Protestant Christianity; no other denomination proved good enough. His portrayal of Buddhism in Crossing the Threshold of Hope is as scathing as it is wildly inaccurate
5. worked very, very hard against the so-called 'civilization of death' (cf. the 'rotten West' Stalinists ranted about) - which was/is in fact the liberal, tolerance-based kind of society most of us take for granted these days
6. fought to limit the use of contraceptives, the move that proved particularly fatal in Africa, for obvious reasons
7. was misogynistic to the very bone
8. regularly covered sex abuse scandals

Quite a paragon of virtue indeed.

Edmond Jabès
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Nighthawk wrote:
treehuggingoctopus wrote:Blessed. Right. :rolling:
Not cool brah.
Why exactly not cool, pray explain?

JPII hype is utter and complete bollocks. The truth is that's the guy who:

1. all his life strove hard to undo the liberal Second Vatican Council reforms and replace it with a hard, well-defined and centred party line
2. was best buddies with leading right-wing dictators in South America
3. did his best to destroy liberation theology
4. engaged in an 'ecumenic' dialogue - which in truth was an uneasy conversation with Judaism and Orthodox and Protestant Christianity; no other denomination proved good enough. His portrayal of Buddhism in Crossing the Threshold of Hope is as scathing as it is wildly inaccurate
5. worked very, very hard against the so-called 'civilization of death' (cf. the 'rotten West' Stalinists ranted about) - which was/is in fact the liberal, tolerance-based kind of society most of us take for granted these days
6. fought to limit the use of contraceptives, the move that proved particularly fatal in Africa, for obvious reasons
7. was misogynistic to the very bone
8. regularly covered sex abuse scandals

Quite a paragon of virtue indeed.
That's not the point. Laughing and insulting leaders of other religions is a stupid and immature thing to do as it breeds hatred and anger. A fine example would be the Danish cartoons on Mohammad.
treehuggingoctopus

You know, I insulted no one. I didn't exactly laugh at JPII either, I laughed at his being described as 'blessed' - which is a wildly inaccurate description, IMO.

And I see no reason whatsoever why I shouldn't criticise religious leaders - just as I see no reason to forbid those who feel like doing that from criticising Buddhist masters, my teacher included.

Edmond Jabès
AlexanderS

Post by AlexanderS »

That's not the point. Laughing and insulting leaders of other religions is a stupid and immature thing to do as it breeds hatred and anger. A fine example would be the Danish cartoons on Mohammad.
It is even more stupid to respond to a random small cartoon picture with serious violence which led to several deaths and the burning of danish embassies.
ryu

Post by ryu »

The church has got alot to answer but fighting fire with fire doesnt work. the future of buddhism looks healthier than the future of the vatican and the present is a product of the past

X
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:You know, I insulted no one. I didn't exactly laugh at JPII either, I laughed at his being described as 'blessed' - which is a wildly inaccurate description, IMO.

And I see no reason whatsoever why I shouldn't criticise religious leaders - just as I see no reason to forbid those who feel like doing that from criticising Buddhist masters, my teacher included.
Well...JPII has been beatified, and the title for those who have been beatified is "Blessed." Just like if someone is canonized, they're referred to as a Saint. It's the title conferred by the ritual.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
dharmagoat

Post by dharmagoat »

OMG, I got 100%.

And I am about as irreligious as they come.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

seeker242 wrote:FWIW, 99.9% of all human beings are pretty stupid, regardless of nationality! It's better to look at one's own stupidity rather than someone else's IMO. There is more than enough stupidity right in the mirror, enough to keep one busy for many lifetimes. :)
... and once we cure the stupidity we can start working to eradicate the ignorance, greed and aversion. We could be here for quite some time, folks.

:meditate:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Incidentally, please do remember - and abide by - the Terms of Service re badmouthing other paths and traditions, even here in the lounge.
:namaste:

Return to “Lounge”