visual side effects

Discuss your personal experience with the Dharma here. How has it enriched your life? What challenges does it present?

visual side effects

Postby duckman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 am

Hello
Im new to the practice. I dont have a teacher that I can question. I practice following my breath in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh. I have been practicing for less than a year. One morning right after my sitting meditation I felt something in my head. It felt like something was unraveling and then a squirting occured. There was no pain but I froze when it happened because it was so unusual. I have since noticed a "shimmering" quality to my vision. Its as if there is more light but it shimmers- not rays. This shimmering is an all day thing. I havent found any information about this and I am wondering what it is, what it signifies, what importance it has if any. Is every meditators vision like this? Does it stay like this? What exactly causes it to be this way? Also objects seem to be more crisp in my field of vision.
its hard to find buddhists in the bible belt so any information will be much appreciated.
duckman

Re: visual side effects

Postby lotwell » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:32 am

Yes there can be side effects from meditation including siddhas. Positive or negative is just the mind. To me it sounds like dmt was released from your pineal gland even though I'm skeptical of those claims. My question would be as to whether or not it's hindering daily life

L
lotwell

Postby Dechen Norbu » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:16 pm

It wouldn't hurt to see an ophthalmologist, just to be on the safe side.
Dechen Norbu

Postby catmoon » Fri May 18, 2012 3:23 am

Yes, stuff like this can happen as a result of meditation. It can also be the result of migraine (no-pain type) or worse still, a detached retina. Get it checked.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
catmoon
Former staff member

Return to Personal Experience