YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Don't wear running shoes? - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

Don't wear running shoes?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Phra Chuntawongso

Re: Don't wear running shoes?

Postby Phra Chuntawongso » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:42 pm

And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning

lojong1

Postby lojong1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:51 pm

"Michael Warburton's 2001 review of barefoot running in the journal Sports Science concluded that
Running barefoot is associated with a substantially lower prevalence of acute injuries of the ankle and chronic injuries of the lower leg in developing countries, but well-designed studies of the effects of barefoot and shod running on injury are lacking. Laboratory studies show that the energy cost of running is reduced by about 4% when the feet are not shod. In spite of these apparent benefits, barefoot running is rare in competition, and there are no published controlled trials of the effects of running barefoot on simulated or real competitive performance.
This study reviews much of the scientific literature that connects shod running to both acute injuries, such as ankle sprains, and chronic injuries, such as plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendinitis, shin splints, etc.
In an article entitled "Is your prescription of distance running shoes evidence based?" in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, Craig Richards et al. determined that there is no evidence to support wearing "distance running shoes featuring elevated cushioned heels and pronation control systems tailored to the individual’s foot type." Richards found no studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals that showed that running shoes either reduce injury rates or improve performance. In fact, Richards issued this challenge to running shoe manufacturers: "Is any running-shoe company prepared to claim that wearing their distance running shoes will decrease your risk of suffering musculoskeletal running injuries? Is any shoe manufacturer prepared to claim that wearing their running shoes will improve your distance running performance? If you are prepared to make these claims, where is your peer-reviewed data to back it up?"

lojong1

Postby lojong1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:06 pm

"Dr. Lesley Wolff who is a foot and ankle surgeon, a marathon runners coach, educated in biomechanics and the director of the San Francisco Bay Area Podiatry Group is completely against barefoot running. On top of that, he has been running in shoes for 35 years."

The barefoot benefits I've experienced are likely imagined; even Dr. Lesley Wolff thinks running barefoot is ridiculous, a huge risk. Is he claiming all the studies are wrong, 'because he says so'?

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:54 am

alan

Postby alan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:54 am

I don't advocate long distance running; in fact I think it is destructive. And "jogging" is, in my view, a waste of time.
Sprinting, on the other hand, is extremely beneficial. It requires an extreme burst of energy, which has far superior health effects when compared to steady-state exercises.
Proper technique and flexibility is essential, however. One great thing about wearing shoes is that an incorrect "strike" will be mitigated. There is also what should be obvious: we rarely run on perfect surfaces. Good shoes can make a rough surface smoother--as far as our joints are concerned.

Honestly, I can't conjure up any reason to run without shoes. It just seems nonsensical.

If anyone wants to hear more about sprinting (or stair climbing--also excellent), I'm here to help.

lojong1

Postby lojong1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:55 am

cooran

Postby cooran » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:03 am

Well, …. My first attempt at barefoot walking over distance wasn’t too successful.

I decided to do my routine fast evening walk (6 kms) without the running shoes I usually wear (La Sportiva). I crossed the bitumen road noticing the hard uneven surface, walked along a concrete and gravel path, crossed the soccer fields feeling the lovely cool dew-wet grass, and arrived at the concrete bicycle/dog/walking path which runs alongside the forested Kedron Brook.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidcco/3907102002/

All was well up to this point. This is a 3 metre wide concrete path running alongside the Brook for about 10 kilometres – which is purpose-built for walkers, pedal wheel chairs, runners, bikers, skaters, skate-boarders, and dogs on leads. Sometimes also an illegal rider on horseback. Lots of wild ducks, bush turkeys, turtles and fish in and around the larger pools in the creek, with various sorts of parrots flying in noisy gangs overhead.Bare feet and cement are O.K. for a while, and then blisters start to form on the sole. Lots of little sharp twigs on the unswept path stick in and cling to the bare sole.

And then there are the Queensland Curse … Bindieye
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... x=92&ty=83
After wandering into a bindieye patch and taking five minutes to escape, ’ouching’ under my breath, and getting the prickles out of my feet, I walked the last kilometre with sandals on. Still have two blisters on the soles of my feet from the concrete path, and quite a few prickle holes from the bindis.

Back to shoes?

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:24 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:52 am

lojong1

Postby lojong1 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:42 pm

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:40 pm

JeffR

Postby JeffR » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:29 am

beeblebrox

Postby beeblebrox » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:16 pm

lojong1

Postby lojong1 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am

An episode of 'Weird or What' features the Mexican Tarahumara people--virtually all 50,000ish of them, not just one in a million--who run fast, far, often, and injury free over rough terrain with bare feet and sandals.

"With widely dispersed settlements, these people developed a tradition of long-distance running up to 435 miles (700 km) in one session, over a period of two days through their homeland of rough canyon country, for inter-village communication and transportation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarahumara ... ic_prowess

http://kingfatty.blogspot.com/2009/08/r ... a-way.html

http://www.mytreadmilltrainer.com/run-f ... -free.html

Return to “Wellness, Diet & Fitness”