Are religious Americans really this stupid?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
plwk

Are religious Americans really this stupid?

Post by plwk »

Watch this and find out...
treehuggingoctopus

Re: Are religious Americans really this stupid?

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

plwk wrote:Watch this and find out...
It's not an American problem only. I only wish one conducted such a survey in some European countries - Poland, for instance . . .
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Did the test. Scored 93%, with only 1% of respondants doing better.

But then, I'm not American, so I guess it doesn't count.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Agreed treehuggingoctopus... I recall watching one youtube video (now taken off by its uploader) some years back where a team went to a famous and popular Ch'an temple in Taiwan and went about interviewing those who were busy making incense offerings and all of their respondents basically claimed they were 'Buddhist' but when asked what if they knew what are the Four Noble Truths and Noble Eightfold Path, the responses were blank stares, 'dunno', 'I pray to all' and the classic one: 'ask the temple'... and featured a Bhiksuni lamenting on the widespread ignorance, so if this is their attitude towards 'Buddhism', I shudder to think what they know about others...

Yeah yeah catty, Canada is within samsara, no? lol
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

It seems most people who are born to a religion know the least about it. Only converts and atheists know a lot about religions.

Normal I think.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Infinite

Post by Infinite »

I got 100% and I am American. :rolling:
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

plwk wrote:... and featured a Bhiksuni lamenting on the widespread ignorance, so if this is their attitude towards 'Buddhism', I shudder to think what they know about others...
Also unfortunate is that not all Bhikshus are trained and educated in the basic philosophical tenets. Though the situation has improved, in many parts of Asia you can still find monks who are mostly providing ritual service.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Your country or regional location shouldn't be associated with your religious IQ.
Infinite

Post by Infinite »

Wesley1982 wrote:Your country or regional location shouldn't be associated with your religious IQ.
It shouldn't but it does have influences especially in regards to the fact that American Public Education is largely Ethnocentric. This is why the Pew Poll research shows that increased education past High School shows a dramatic increase in knowledge of various world religions.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

treehuggingoctopus wrote:
It's not an American problem only. I only wish one conducted such a survey in some European countries - Poland, for instance . . .
Poland is where blessed Pope John Paul II originated from.
Infinite

Post by Infinite »

Wesley1982 wrote:
treehuggingoctopus wrote:
Poland is where blessed Pope John Paul II originated from.
And? :thinking:
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Infinite wrote: And? :thinking:
And well, you follow through with the thread. American education is different than Chinese education by standards.
Infinite

Post by Infinite »

Wesley1982 wrote:
Infinite wrote: And? :thinking:
And well, you follow through with the thread. American education is different than Chinese education by standards.
That was the strangest non sequitur probably ever.
steveb1

Post by steveb1 »

Yes, religious Americans - many of them - are that stupid. They hardly think about their beliefs at all, and when they do, they turn a blind eye to legitimate criticisms of their beliefs.

They believe that their eternal salvation rests on affirmation of certain "right beliefs" and in a "right relationship" with God. Anything that challenges their spiritual status quo is really Satan in disguise, because to question the truth of their religion is to question the religion; is to question God's having "ordained" or "instituted" that religion; is to question God; is to commit the unforgiveable sin; is to lose God and salvation and the hope of Heaven.

For these kinds of believers, therefore, there is a built-in defense mechanism for avoiding truths, attitudes, and ways of thinking that would in any way question the core beliefs.
There is a built-in mechanism that supports such mindless credos as "God said it; I believe it; that settles it".

Moreover, the religious dogmas as usually presented, are not designed to withstand much critical evaluation. It is so much easier just to "take it all on faith".
Which, to my mind, is a primary reason why so many religious Americans flunked the religious literacy test. They are scared and intellectually lazy.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

6/6 here.
Infinite

Post by Infinite »

Nighthawk wrote:6/6 here.
http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-re ... knowledge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is the extended one. I do blame my high score on the amount of research I have done especially in regards to the three Abrahamic Faiths before I ever came across Buddhism. When I had my crisis of faith as a Christian I hit the books and hard.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Infinite wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:6/6 here.
http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-re ... knowledge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is the extended one. I do blame my high score on the amount of research I have done especially in regards to the three Abrahamic Faiths before I ever came across Buddhism. When I had my crisis of faith as a Christian I hit the books and hard.
Thanks. Scored 93%
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Infinite wrote: There is the extended one. I do blame my high score on the amount of research I have done especially in regards to the three Abrahamic Faiths before I ever came across Buddhism. When I had my crisis of faith as a Christian I hit the books and hard.
Same here. I spent about 12 years studying and practicing Christianity before coming here to Dharma Wheel.
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Test was pretty easy for me as I've investigated just about every religion until settling with Buddhism.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

FWIW, 99.9% of all human beings are pretty stupid, regardless of nationality! It's better to look at one's own stupidity rather than someone else's IMO. There is more than enough stupidity right in the mirror, enough to keep one busy for many lifetimes. :)
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!

Return to “Lounge”