Lungta

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
rai

Lungta

Post by rai »

hi all,

need some tips and trics what to do to raise the lungta (or what to avoid)! it seems i am going down with everything =D

also i tried to understand the concept of Lungta relying on materials i've managed to find but still i have very vague idea so if you know any helpful materials, books in english it would be very appreciated.

thanks!
Malcolm

Re: Lungta

Post by Malcolm »

rai wrote:hi all,

need some tips and trics what to do to raise the lungta (or what to avoid)! it seems i am going down with everything =D

also i tried to understand the concept of Lungta relying on materials i've managed to find but still i have very vague idea so if you know any helpful materials, books in english it would be very appreciated.

thanks!
raise prayer flags on a proper day with a sang offering.
Dhondrub

Post by Dhondrub »

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Lungta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://mangalashribhuti.cleverspin.com/ ... alha-1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-nic ... 28769.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I was told was additonally to do Sang and hang Prayer Flags, was also to wear clean and dignified clothes and also to keep ones place clean, especially ones kitchen

best

tashi
rai

Post by rai »

thanks for all the hints!

I read some parts of Chogyam Trungpa "Shambhala - The Sacred Path of the Warrior" and "Smile at Fear". CTR talk about raising the windhorse more as invoking outer and inner "dralas", being uplifted, joyfull, without doubt etc. Is he talking about the same concept or about something else?
Greg

Post by Greg »

rai wrote:thanks for all the hints!

I read some parts of Chogyam Trungpa "Shambhala - The Sacred Path of the Warrior" and "Smile at Fear". CTR talk about raising the windhorse more as invoking outer and inner "dralas", being uplifted, joyfull, without doubt etc. Is he talking about the same concept or about something else?
He put his own spin on the concepts of lungta and drala and werma, to the extent that it may not seem to jibe with the traditional versions. Certainly the practices that are taught in Shambhala Training for raising lungta seem to be of his own devising. I'm not sure you would encounter them anywhere else.
rai

Post by rai »

Greg wrote:

He put his own spin on the concepts of lungta and drala and werma, to the extent that it may not seem to jibe with the traditional versions. Certainly the practices that are taught in Shambhala Training for raising lungta seem to be of his own devising. I'm not sure you would encounter them anywhere else.
thanks greg, is it possible to find more traditional explanations in english?
Greg

Post by Greg »

rai wrote:
Greg wrote:

thanks greg, is it possible to find more traditional explanations in english?
I would start here if you haven't already:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lungta" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article is not bad and has references that should be helpful, especially Karmay's book (though you should note that it is somewhat academic).

Also this article:

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Drala" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

References Namkhai Norbu's Drung De'u and Bön, which also seems to have some information.

Often it can be helpful with stuff such as this to ascertain the full, proper transliteration (for drala, say, it can be "dgra bla" "sgra bla" and/or "dgra lha") and google that.

This explanation of Stein's is interesting (http://books.google.com/books?id=U7j758 ... la&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) but I don't know how reliable it is, perhaps Namdrol can tell you.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

When authenticating Lungta, how exactly do we use water for the rite?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Lhug-Pa wrote:When authenticating Lungta, how exactly do we use water for the rite?
What is this in reference to?
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

All I know is that water is involved in the rite, but don't know how; and the Dzogchen Community Thun book doesn't explain and I don't think that the Tun DVD does either (I should double check). Maybe Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche refers to it in some detail in the Namkha book....
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

There is also a spcific lungta practice.

Why don't you go ask your teacher for details of the practice?
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Because since he has many many students, I'd rather first see if someone who posts here regularly and knows the answer wouldn't mind answering.

Like I said, the rite is in the Tun book but doesn't explain how the water is applied, so I should check the Thun DVD again.

Anyhow, you're right in that I should try to have a good talk with my Teacher soon, albeit not for only asking about Lungta. :anjali:
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

The Ritual Melodies CD has Namkha but not Lungta... Is the latter's melody the same as the former's?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

The lungta practice I am refering to is not a Dzogchen practice and is not on any cd or in any book by ChNN.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Then in that case there might be an explanation of the standard use of water for Lungta practices found in one of the following texts for example:

http://www.lotsawahouse.org/topics/riwo-sangcho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And if not, then perhaps here:

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=272" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Lhug-Pa wrote:Then in that case there might be an explanation of the standard use of water for Lungta practices found in one of the following texts for example:

http://www.lotsawahouse.org/topics/riwo-sangcho" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In our system, you use an evergreen branch and with it sprinkle water on the flags to purify them.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Thank you once again Namdrol.

Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Is the Three Whites and Sweets and different woods and so forth required for Sang? Or is just incense okay?
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Konchog1 wrote:Is the Three Whites and Sweets and different woods and so forth required for Sang? Or is just incense okay?

Just incense is ok. If you have opportunity to do more, than it is better.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

I've learned that Sang incense should generally include three or five ingredients. Cypress and Juniper for sure, and in fact I think that just Cypress and/or Juniper would be fine. Since I'm not allowed to burn incense where I live, I diffuse a blend of three essential oils.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”