Kalavinka Future translations

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Nicholas Weeks

Kalavinka Future translations

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Bhikshu Dharmamitra lists below what he hopes to accomplish in the next few years. He needs much financial help and also with his Kalavinka Press website.

So send him money & technical expertise. http://www.kalavinka.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1) Three 10 grounds translations within this calendar year:
a) Nagarjuna's Commentary on the Ten Grounds Sutra (first draft already finished);
b) Kumarajiva's early 400's edition of the Ten Grounds Sutra text (I'm almost through with 9th Ground);
c) Siksananda's 699 ce edition of the analogue text forming Ch. 26 "The Ten Grounds Chapter" of the Avatamsaka Sutra.

2) One complete Kalavinka Avatamsaka Sutra translation (of the "standard" Siksananda edition) within 5 years, this to include my typical endnoting and outlining apparatuses as well as ebook editions available for all standard formats including Kindle, epub ebooks, and all portable devices. (The print editions would be two-fold: one with facing-page Chinese source text; one with Chinese characters limited to parentheses within the endnotes.

3) One complete straight academic translation of the Siksananda edition of the Avatamsaka Sutra within five years specifically for BDK/Numata, with only very minimal endnotes, per their stipulation.

Depending on how much help I can mobilize, I also want to do a complete build-out on the website and also put out second editions of the first ten Kalavinka books which are English-only.

If my liver transplant stays with me, then Nagarjuna's complete Mahaprajnaparamita-upadesa (Analytic Commentary on The Great Perfection of Wisdom Sutra) is next in line.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
pueraeternus

Re: Kalavinka Future translations

Post by pueraeternus »

Thanks Will, for the heads-up.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

Thank you for this heart touching heads up. He is like Lamotte or Conze ... a modern Lokakṣema. :namaste:

I have just donated be cause of your post. :cheers:

So send him money & technical expertise. http://www.kalavinka.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
has a paypal option and now paypal lets you do your regular credit card too.

PS: with the prices of his editions being so reasonable I am not certain this is so necessary though:

put out second editions of the first ten Kalavinka books which are English-only.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Well done Leo!

As this link re Donations says, Bhikshu Dharmamitra incurred personal debts for hardware & software etc over the years. So any donated monies are mainly used to retire this debt. http://www.kalavinka.org/kp_main_pages/donate.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

of the analogue text forming Ch. 26 "The Ten Grounds Chapter" of the Avatamsaka Sutra.
What does "analogue text" mean?
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Leo Rivers wrote:
of the analogue text forming Ch. 26 "The Ten Grounds Chapter" of the Avatamsaka Sutra.
What does "analogue text" mean?
Siksananda's version is analogous to Kumarajiva's translation of the same 10 Grounds text.
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

Got it.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Just bumping this up to encourage more support for Bhikshu Heng Shou (aka Dharmamitra). Both financial aid for Kalavinka Press and healing prayers for the translator himself are much needed now.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Will wrote:Just bumping this up to encourage more support for Bhikshu Heng Shou (aka Dharmamitra). Both financial aid for Kalavinka Press and healing prayers for the translator himself are much needed now.
As the valiant translator just wrote: "translating at a blistering pace, usually 10hrs/day, 7 days per week with a take-no-prisoners daily quota".

But he is not getting much financial support for his work - rather par for the course I suppose.

Contact for donations:

Kalavinka Press (Kalavinkapress.org)
8603 39th Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98136
[email protected]; Office: 206-932-1155
viniketa

Post by viniketa »

Thank you for the information, Will. :thanks:

:namaste:
If they can sever like and dislike, along with greed, anger, and delusion, regardless of their difference in nature, they will all accomplish the Buddha Path.. ~ Sutra of Complete Enlightenment
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

Has his health become more difficult? I thought the liver transplant “took”. Does he have someone helping him with this work? Is he a one-man band? He is already done so much.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Leo Rivers wrote:Has his health become more difficult? I thought the liver transplant “took”. Does he have someone helping him with this work? Is he a one-man band? He is already done so much.
Use his contact information Leo - he will not bite.
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

Thanks again Will. Will do my best.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher

Return to “Sūtra Studies”