Living Legends of Tibetan Buddhism

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Paul

Living Legends of Tibetan Buddhism

Post by Paul »

I always have held four people of the late 20th century to be contemporary buddhas. These are the 16th Karmapa, Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche and Dudjom Rinpoche. Unfortunately, I never met any of them.

I would hope that there are practitioners of their caliber alive today. Who would you nominate as truly exceptional practitioners - either living or who lived in the 20th century? Stories about them are obviously very welcome.
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Adamantine
Former staff member

Re: Living Legends of Tibetan Buddhism

Post by Adamantine »

Kyabje Chatral Sangye Dorje Rinpoche
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Without a single doubt in my mind, my Guru, Mingyur Rinpoche, who as we speak is wandering in the mountains as a yogi with no possessions, following in the footsteps of his Guru Nyoshul Khenpo and many of the great Dzogchen masters of the past. Lama Chenno.
s.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Kyabje Dorje Chang Kalu Rinpoche.

And his successor, Kyabje Dorje Chang Bokar Rinpoche--Designated Holder of the Shangpa Lineage, and Meditation Master of many of the main Karma and Shangpa Kagyu retreats.

In addition, every name that has been mentioned in this thread. And His Holiness the Dalai Lama, surely a "Living Legend of Tibetan Buddhism."

Of course, we run into the likelihood that eveyone will add their favorite Guru's name.....

In fifty years, though, I think all these names will be remembered. And Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche will be among them, I think...I'll just put that out there.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

Since Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche was already mentioned above. Of the present masters I would definitely add Garchen Rinpoche, Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche, Yangthang Rinpoche and Sakya Trindzin Rinpoche.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

conebeckham wrote:His Holiness the Dalai Lama, surely a "Living Legend of Tibetan Buddhism."
dzoki wrote:Since Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche was already mentioned above....
Namdrol wrote:...have the fortune to meet an authentic teacher of Dzogchen like Chogyal Namkhai Norbu, Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche, Loppon Tenzin Namdak and so on, to name three, still living, masters of Dzogchen.
http://www.dzogchen.it/chogyal-namkhai-norbu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not very familiar with the teachings of Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche, and I've never personally met H.E. Yongdzin Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche, but I also think that Lopon Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche is to be included here.

https://www.ligmincha.org/bon-buddhism/ ... chers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.ligmincha.org/bon-buddhism/ ... poche.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
heart

Post by heart »

Tulku Urgyen, I am just rereading Blazing Splendor, for the 15th time, and there are a few other incredible stories about some very incredible masters in that book.
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Josef

Post by Josef »

heart wrote:Tulku Urgyen, I am just rereading Blazing Splendor, for the 15th time, and there are a few other incredible stories about some very incredible masters in that book.
I love that book.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Paul, I kind of missed the "or who lived in the 20th century?" part of your initial post.

So obviously Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche, H.H. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche, the 16th Karmapa, and Dudjom Rinpoche, as you've said.

My previous post was regarding who first came to mind in regard to still-living Masters.

I'm sure that there are many Masters including both now and the 20th century, in the Dzogchen and other traditions.

H.E. Trulshik Rinpoche also comes to mind, as well as the Fourth Dodrupchen Rinpoche.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Although she died in 1953, I would definitely include Ayu Khandro in the list. Interestingly she was a teacher of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche.

50 years of dark retreat togal must have an incredible effect on a person.

Norbu Rinpoche's biography of here is here: http://www.khandro.net/book-womenofwisdom.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
rai

Post by rai »

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche

:bow:
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Rafael Maurin

Post by Rafael Maurin »

These masters passed away not so long ago and they are certainly legends of Tibetan Buddhism

Gendun Rinpoche
Tenga Rinpoche
Lopon Tsechu Rinpoche

They will be remembered - that is for sure :namaste:
Josef

Post by Josef »

Togden Ugyen Tenzin is probably the most inspiring legend who lived in the 20th century for me personally, other than my teacher.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
xylem

Post by xylem »

Image Garchen Rinpoche
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

Ani Lochen.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Dzongsar Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö

I can feel his Wangtang through his photos. In this one he's looking at the camera and I always feel like he sees me.

That's all I need to be convinced he was great.
Attachments
ps_JKCL.jpg
ps_JKCL.jpg (362.88 KiB) Viewed 5221 times
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

hmmmnnn, it seems that the living legends are in the minority so far. Living, we have listed:

Chatral Rinpoche, Mingyur Rinpoche, Tsetrul Rinpoche, Dodrupchen Rinpoche, Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche, Garchen Rinpoche

so I will add a few to the living list:

HH the 14 Dalai Lama

Namkha Drimed Rinpoche - living terton of Gesar

Garje Khamtrul Rinpoche Jamyang Döndrup

Bhakha Tulku Rinpoche

Shenpen Dawa Rinpoche

Lama Tharchin

Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche

Garab Dorje Rinpoche

Tulku Pema Wangyal Rinpoche

Lama Dawa Chhodak RInpoche

Tulku Teglo Rinpoche

Khandro Rinpoche

Lama Wangdu

Lama Wangdor

Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso

Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche

MAY THEY ALL LIVE LONG, FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL !!!

Sarwa Mangalam!

Then there's the recently deceased:

Thinley Norbu Rinpoche

Kunzang Dorje Rinpoche

Trulshik Rinpoche (mentioned already)

Penor Rinpoche

Kusum Lingpa

Mindrolling Trichen Rinpoche

Kunzang Dechen Lingpa

Chagdud Tulku Rinpoche

Khenchen Palden Sherab Rinpoche

MAY THEY ALL RETURN SWIFTLY, FOR THE BENEFIT OF ALL!
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Caz

Post by Caz »

"Vajradhara said that in degenerate times he would appear in an ordinary form as a Spiritual Guide."

People mention well known names, I pay homage to the lesser known emanations of Vajradhara Guru. :namaste:
Abandoning Dharma is, in the final analysis, disparaging the Hinayana because of the Mahayana; favoring the Hinayana on account of the Mahayana; playing off sutra against tantra; playing off the four classes of the tantras against each other; favoring one of the Tibetan schools—the Sakya, Gelug, Kagyu, or Nyingma—and disparaging the rest; and so on. In other words, we abandon Dharma any time we favor our own tenets and disparage the rest.

Liberation in the Palm of your hand~Kyabje Pabongkha Rinpoche.
flavio81

Post by flavio81 »

Rafael Maurin wrote:These masters passed away not so long ago and they are certainly legends of Tibetan Buddhism

Gendun Rinpoche
Tenga Rinpoche
Lopon Tsechu Rinpoche

They will be remembered - that is for sure :namaste:
Lopon Tsechu visited my city at least two times. I was about 10-13 years old but i remember him perfectly along with his translator Lama Kalsang.

He displayed some siddhis to many witnesses on the local buddhist community (my parents being among them), like the ability to walk faster than everyone else (not bad for an 80+ year old tibetan monk, eh?), and other incidents. Some accounts are described here:

http://kagyustories.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... -kalu.html

(Note that i'm not directly affiliated with the Diamond Way local community. But i know the writer and her accounts are honest.)

The one that i recall being told by many of them is when there was a get-together at my house, with special guest Lopon Tsechu and Lama Kalsang as a translator. Visualize about 15 people crammed into our small living room, about 7x4 meters of area (this was inside an apartment.) Outside, one of our sangha friends wanted to bring yet another person. My dad went more or less angry since we were far too many inside the room and this guy wasn't invited and wasn't part of the local sangha, just an outsider interested in buddhism who wanted to meet the famous Lopon Tsechu.

After some arguing, my dad agreed and this guy was allowed into the apartment. After he entered the door, Lopon Tsechu suddenly stopped doing what he was doing, and gestured the guy to approach to him. The guy sat besides Lopon Tsechu. They observed that he and Tsechu Rimpoche went talking for a quite long time, and that Tsechu started putting his finger on the top of the guy's head, in the typical point of the head that is signaled on a phowa (conciousness transference at the time of dying) retreat.

The rest of the people -the local sangha- were amazed at how this stranger just entered the door and then Rimpoche, without asking, stopped caring for the rest of them and just basically devoted most of the evening to him... I would bet they were a little bit jealous.

About seven days later, the guy died on a traffic accident.

Another incident was a day where two practicioners of the local sangha went arguing very badly. They were on the 2nd floor of a house while Tsechu Rimpoche was on the 1st floor. Suddenly, the bathroom's toilet start overflowing for no reason at all and the filthy water, instead of running down the stairs, went into its opposite natural direction, onto the two practitioners that were arguing. They had to shut up, stop fighting, and clean all the mess. :toilet:

Skillful means!!
If this is a virtual sangha, do we achieve virtualization instead of realization?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”