YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Can a Buddhist drink alcohol in moderation? - Page 4 - Dhamma Wheel

Can a Buddhist drink alcohol in moderation?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Prasadachitta

Re: Can a Buddhist drink alcohol in moderation?

Postby Prasadachitta » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:50 pm

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I also agree (with yuttadhammo). There is definitely a lot to be said for concentrating on sila and being very disciplined, even pedantic in maintaining it. But in the end sila is too important to be left to rules. It has to come from a deep exploration, from insight, I think.

In other words, I take a long hard look at my day, at my habits and discern which are wholesome, ie conducive to practice and to welfare of myself and others and which are not, and decide which is more important to me - these habits or practice and the welfare of myself and others. In any given case, there is a myriad of patterns that are dysfunctional, destructive and unwholesome. We can and do lop off these diseased branches one by one but unless a deeper insight into the root problem is attained, they will grow back in some form or another. Still this exploration and the development of sila weakens the root and makes it easier to cut it when we are ready.

In the end, we have to do the work, don't we? And this work is not about "following the herd", "following the rules" - the rules are training guidelines, not commandments. They invite us to explore our world, our minds and to purify ourselves. This exploration goes way beyond the precepts.

The reason I keep posting in these threads is not because I am attached to drinking (I couldn't care less about it) but because a literalistic legalistic approach to sila can only take us so far. A more organic insightful approach is needed IMO. That's all.
_/|\_

Laurens

Postby Laurens » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:53 pm

It's not really a question of 'can', of course you can, you are physically able to consume alcohol and get as drunk as you like off it.

Should you drink alcohol? A lot of people would say 'no' - I think this would be the majority position, it's one of the Buddhist precepts not to drink alcohol, it has a detrimental effect upon mindfulness etc. However, I really think it's down to you. Trail and error is what made me give up drinking. I noticed how hard it was to meditate the day after and so on. Eventually I realised why drinking is not encouraged.

If you feel like alcohol is a particular attachment, then simply forcing yourself not to drink may not be effective. You might have periods of not drinking, but you might often relapse if you do things that way. The best thing to do is to give it up when you see clearly that it is not needed, and that it does not benefit meditation. That isn't something another person can give you, it's something you have to realise yourself.

So drink if you wish, if you are practising mindfulness enough you will notice how it effects you, and one day you will (probably) no longer feel the need to drink anything.

Just my view.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan

Phra Chuntawongso

Postby Phra Chuntawongso » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:13 pm

It is interesting to note that the precepts are guidelines and not thou shalt nots,but this raises a couple of questions.
1-If they are only guidelines and we don't have to follow them if we don't feel like it,why take them?This must render them rights and rituals.
2-If you see a monk walking out of the shop with a bottle of beer in his hands,would you say,well its only a guideline or would you say look at that monk he's not supposed to be drinking,its in the precepts?
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:25 pm

Last edited by Dan74 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_/|\_

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:41 pm

Phra Chuntawongso

Postby Phra Chuntawongso » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:53 pm

I agree that a monk should be a role model.My point is however,for the people who say it is ok to drink in moderation,and I am not going to preach at anyone who does so,then why would a monks having a quiet beer on a hot day seem wrong.
Would he not be a role model,having one beer and not getting smashed?
By the way I am not trying to get anyones permission for a drink :jumping:
For me the precept is to be kept.
It is up to the person to decide in the end.I found when I was drinking that mindfulness went out the window real fast.
When I stopped drinking I noticed a big change in my personal practice.
With metta
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning

yuttadhammo

Postby yuttadhammo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:57 am

Upasampadā: 4 December, 2001

Individual

Postby Individual » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:24 am

The best things in life aren't things.

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:24 am

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

Sobeh

Postby Sobeh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:28 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:46 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Sobeh

Postby Sobeh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:17 am

A joke on the idea of a special dispensation (Tantra) validated through the stock phrase Facebook uses on profiles to which ones own is still a stranger, to wit: "Buddha does not share information with everyone..."

:juggling:

lol?

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:12 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:22 am

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:32 am

The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:41 am

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:44 am

I live in hope Hanzze that one day you might post something that makes any sense to me. :?
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Shonin

Postby Shonin » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:51 am

In my experience, the intoxicating effect of Buddhist forums (addictive fascination with intellectual debates, and especially with on's own opinion) is a far more significant obstacle to practice than an occasional tipple. What I mean is that I have actually missed meditation time because of it as well as finding myself mentally distracted by on-going debates. Whereas I have not missed meditation time due to alcohol.

Return to “Sīla”