Ordination in Nichiren Schools

DGA
Former staff member

Ordination in Nichiren Schools

Post by DGA »

I've been asked a question that I have no proper answer for. So I present it to the board:

Are there presently opportunities for non-Japanese to ordain as clergy in any of the Nichiren schools*? Particularly for women? If so, where are they?

*among those that ordain clergy
Mr. G

Re: Ordination in Nichiren Schools

Post by Mr. G »

A short Bio of Myokei Caine Barrett:

http://nichiren-shu.org/Houston/pages/minister.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
rory

Post by rory »

Hi Jikan;
Sure, I know Myokei, she ordained, also in Kempon we're getting our first non-Asian American priest Shinkei/Jerry he's going to Japan this summer for his ordination. Rev. Tsuchiya, whose in charge of foreign missions, in Japan is very open to non-Asian disciples no problem. I've a very warm relationship with him; and as you know I'm female, the kinda feminist fiery kind as well! lol...
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

Yeah you can in Nichiren Shoshu to, I think there's an American priest training at the moment.
rory

Post by rory »

Isn't the rule in Nichiren Shoshu that only a group of women can be ordained? That's what my friend Sue told me about 5 years ago, though things may have changed.
Just a correction Myokei is half-Asian.
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
noisemonkey

Post by noisemonkey »

rory wrote:Isn't the rule in Nichiren Shoshu that only a group of women can be ordained? That's what my friend Sue told me about 5 years ago, though things may have changed.
Just a correction Myokei is half-Asian.
gassho
Rory

at the moment the role of female priests has been taken over by priests wives. I hadn't heard about that rule. Previously there have been female priest's including Nikken Shonin's mother.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I was aware of Faulconer & Barrett in Nichiren-shu, but I did not know if any others had come after... or what the possibilities are in other schools.
mingxin

Post by mingxin »

There is also Rev. Shinkyo Warner here in Tampa, FL. He was working (well still is working with) a Sangha in KY. So I believe there are quite a few now. And of course Rev. Tarabini in Italy, and I know there is a Shami from Brazil training in Japan right now :).
rory

Post by rory »

Hi Mingxin;
there's an Nshu American shami in London that Gino ordained, and one in my state NC in Charlotte. An English-speaking HBS priest also just came to LA so maybe they will ordain Americans too. The landscape is looking really great.
with gassho
rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
rory

Post by rory »

Just wanted to update, Kempon Hokke's first Western priest, Rev.Shinkei Marcheso is ordained. We're so happy. He's in California and on facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004012921887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gassho
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:

Return to “Nichiren”