YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The Weird Science of the Homeopathic Universe - Page 4 - Dhamma Wheel

The Weird Science of the Homeopathic Universe

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Sanghamitta

Re: The Weird Science of the Homeopathic Universe

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:10 pm

The difference is Lazy Eye that allopathic medicine and those who prescribe it are subject to checks and balances that are far from perfect but that afford some degree of protection to the user. Your family doctor trains full time for a minimum of 6 and a half years before coming anywhere near a patient to a very high knowledge base of anatomy and physiology of disease processes, in diagnostic skills, eyt. They are also required to be on a register of practitioners which is assiduously kept and which carries with it whole process of disciplinary measures if it is breached. The medicines they prescribe are not without problems, frequently there is a trade off between benefits and unwanted effects. However they will have been subject to a process of scrutiny and testing over a long period before being licensed.
Last edited by Sanghamitta on Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Bhikku Bodhi.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:23 pm

Would you guys take anybody seriously, who dismisses the Dhamma, before having studied the Noble 8 fold path, the precepts, dependant origination etc, and without having practised some of it ?

No, you would not.

However, that is what some of you are doing here with homeopathy.

So I say to you kindly:

Hopefully I can refrain from visiting this thread from now on, as it makes me sad to see such a testimony of bias rooted in ignorance.

READ homeopathic books before passing on your lack of understanding and before you parrot the lack of understanding of others.

I'm out.

Best wishes.

:anjali:
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Sangahamitta, I still don't read your posts. Just as a reminder. I don't open them.

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:33 pm

As we walked across Cambodia, sometimes my companion give traditional blessings while stringing a wristband. It did not need a long time, that it was requested nearly in every village and still done with heart. Nobody here would request a blessing without give dana in return. As we reached a province capital one told us that there are now wristband brochureware with "blessed by monks" available on the marked. My companion looked queryingly at me and I just had to :rofl:
Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Personally as part of my role I took part in an extensive examination of the claims of homeopathy, which previously i have to say i had no prior knowledge of except for noting the appearance of bottles of Nelson's "remedies" in branches of the UK's largest pharmacy chain.
As the study proceeded it became clear to myself and the rest of the panel which included medics, scientists, nurse practitioners and legal folk it became increasingly clear that those claims were not held up by any of the evidence. During that study which ran over several months we all learned a GOOD DEAL about homeopathy.....
Believe me if the National Institute for Clinical Excellence which commissioned the study had been informed by us that the national drugs budget for which they are responsible could be slashed by buying the relatively cheap products of Messrs Nelson and other homeopathic pill manufacturers instead of the very expensive wares of Smith-Kline-Beecham or Glaxo they would have carried us out of the building on their shoulders cheering.......
Last edited by Sanghamitta on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:39 pm

Bhikku Bodhi.

BubbaBuddhist

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:55 pm

I would like to go on record as saying I, for one, never suggested anyone keep quiet about their beliefs or preferences. In fact, I said my personal "belief" is everyone is entitled to believe what they want. This goes for both sides of any subject. I am not a Luddite. My academic background is in engineering and physics and I worked in the engineering field for over a decade before retiring to work for myself. I like "science," but it is neither a religion nor a cudgel with which to beat people when we disagree with them. There are compassionate ways to deal with disagreements, and this leads to the point I attempted to convey; apparently not very clearly:

What I find dismaying, and especially on a forum supposedly frequented by those who practice the Dhamma of Buddha, are attitudes and statements steeped in dosa and Mana--in particular, calling those with whom we disagree "crackpots," "nutjobs," "cranks," "fools" etc. This is simply in poor taste at the best and unwholesome at the very least. When we move from pointing out the logical or scientific flaws in a belief and begin attacking people, yes: I would suggest this is unwholesome. Of course, it is fun to post videos of people saying and performing absurdities so we can make fun of them and reinforce our warm fuzzy feeling of intellectual superiority--but is it wholesome? No. This is the intellectual equivalent of watching Jackass or Jerry Springer.
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Rubbish, we have claims being made for a pseudoscience masquerading as cure for very real ailments. Right Speech demands under those circumstances that those claims be subject to scrutiny. The Buddha was never loath to point out when people were practising self deception. Frankly if we cant have any frank discussion without it morphing into a meta discussion about being nice we might as well all stick to colouring in with crayons. Quite honestly Bubbabuddhist I thought that the only wrong speech I have seen on this thread is your suggestion that we should ignore someone because of there implied sexual preference.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Bhikku Bodhi.

Hanzze

Postby Hanzze » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:11 pm

Well all discussions comes from believe :-) it's just the lounge and therefore a little more dual underwent and we can believe relaxed
Just that! *smile*

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Nate sante baram sokham _()_

BubbaBuddhist

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:05 pm

The more I frequent this forum, the better Scientology is looking to me.

I'm done.
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Laurens

Postby Laurens » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:27 pm

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:30 pm

Still here then ? I thought you were done and off to join the scientologists.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:33 pm

Hey, Laurens:

I have stopped the conversation with you.

It's absolutely pointless!

Full cup!

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Bhikku Bodhi.

Sanghamitta

Postby Sanghamitta » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Its really quite simple. All that is being asked for is a link to peer group review/s of the clinical outcomes of homeopathic interventions. Or links to double blind testing of same. This is standard practice in every branch of evidence based medicine.
Unless the situation has changed since the study I described above that I took part in and that was only three years ago...there are none concerning homeopathy..zilch..zero..
All that there are is is a stream of subjective anecdotes which are not even consistant on their own terms. In fact they have no terms of reference.
Which is why homeopathy is not accepted as a genuine branch of the healing arts.

Bhikku Bodhi.

Laurens

Postby Laurens » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:56 pm

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Carl Sagan

Return to “Lounge”