Prayers for my father

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Blue Garuda

Prayers for my father

Post by Blue Garuda »

I woke up at 04.45 this morning and at around 08.00 I had a call to say my father had died at home at around that time. He was 94 but it is still 'unexpected' when it finally happens. Of course there is shock and grief in the family, but I can't say I feel affected. I'm not sure if I should feel guilty, but comforting the living is my main focus, and of course Phowa for him. Dealing with the dead body felt the same as others I've handled - just an empty shell he left behind.

Maybe Buddhism and all those Phowa ceremonies I've performed have given me an insight into the death process which has helped -
well that and working as a hospital porter many years ago.
We all live quite close to each other so my sister has taken over at my mother's house so that I can attend the Threefold Wrathful empowerment tomorrow, which I will attend for the benefit of others.
Left
Mr. G

Re: Prayers for my father

Post by Mr. G »

My condolences BG
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Drew

Post by Drew »

May peace and the blessings of fond memories reside in your family.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

OM AMI DEWA HRIH
May he immediately take birth in the pure land of Dewachen and reach enlightenment there, never again to even hear the term "suffering".
Amitabha.jpg
Amitabha.jpg (22.22 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
I will dedicate my Amitabha puja practice today (full moon day) especially for your fathers swift birth in Dewachen.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
plwk

Post by plwk »

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Wow 94 is a long run. Sorry to hear about your loss.

I lost one parent before Buddhism and one after, and the difference was dramatic. Losing Dad, who went second, was sad but not traumatic or upsetting. So I think you are collecting on some good karma here.

Would like me to include your father in my MB pujas? It's the only one I do.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Qian Zheng Yi

Post by Qian Zheng Yi »

May you and your father and all of your loved ones have peace.
Many blessings.
Ogyen

Post by Ogyen »

Dearest Yeshe, I don't think I have logged on DW in months. Today I felt a 'disturbance in the force' and the first post I opened was this one. My heart goes out to your family in this time, may he take a precious rebirth and return to help the rest of us... 94 is an accomplished course, it is a good sign next lifetime will be auspicious. Plus... he had you as a son, there is so much good he's already given the world. btw - I got your email, thank you thank you thank you. You have no idea how much it has helped me in this time. May I have the blessing of repaying your kindness some day (soon).

All my love,
_/|\_
D.Ogyen
Image Made from 100% recycled karma

The Heart Drive - nosce te ipsum

"To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget." –Arundhati Roy
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Puja done my friend! Tomorrow I will dedicate my Heart Sutra practice.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Thank you all so much for your prayers, dedications and pujas.

Such times remind us of impermanence as we go through the possessions, achievements and relationships of the deceased. I will perform Phowa soon.

It is especially difficult for my mother who has dementia and of course forgets that he is gone (and his body has gone) and so any Medicine Buddha dedication for her would be very worthwhile. Thanks Cat for that as well.

Ogyen, you are a remarkble person, and I am so grateful that you have posted at such a difficult time for yourself. _/\_

Thanks to my sister looking after things today, I have been able this morning to attend an empowerment with Dzogchen Rinpoche (Nyenpa Lha Sum) which adds practices which will be useful at this time and for others in the future.

maitri

Yeshe _/\_
Left
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

My condolences for your loss...

May your father have a good rebirth in next life, hopefully in Pure Land. His he a believer in Pure Land?

I will make some Namo Amitabha Buddha recitations for him but i will not try any phowa. It seems that phowa should be done to others only by masters/highly developed beings, so i am afraid to disturb him.

About your mother, i wil make some Medicine Buddha recitations too.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

My sincere condolences BG.
May happiness shine upon you and your family. May your father have a favorable rebirth.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

May he be well, happy, and peaceful, as well as you and the rest of your family.

:heart:
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Thank you.

People at the Dzogchen Rinpoche empowerment also dedictaed practice to him, which was very kind.

I performed the Phowa for him today. My mother seems to have a realisation that 'he' is now gone which will make the traditional funeral easier for her, as a form of celebrating a life while disposing of a body.
Left

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”