Question ~ Answer Thread

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
maybay

Re: Question ~ Answer Thread

Post by maybay »

Wesley1982 wrote:ok,

here's a real question.

In the realm of christian thought - it could be said that those who suffered while on earth receive the reward of 'heaven'

In the realm of buddhist thought - could the same be said of those who suffered while on earth were brought into "nirvana" ? . . .

Or is buddhist thought totally different? . .
Christ was a martyr, but we see martyrdom as an excess. Specifically it lacks wisdom.

Buddha taught that suffering is a universal mark of existence, therefore it cannot determine your destiny. All sentient beings suffer and they continue to suffer until they see the truth.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

'Arising of dukkha and cessation of dukkha' . . I "think" I understand intellectually but not in practice.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

here's a real question.

In the realm of christian thought - it could be said that those who suffered while on earth receive the reward of 'heaven'

In the realm of buddhist thought - could the same be said of those who suffered while on earth were brought into "nirvana" ? . . .

Or is buddhist thought totally different? . .
Would you consider reading some books, meeting a teacher or two, actually making an effort in practice...?
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Jikan wrote:Would you consider reading some books, meeting a teacher or two, actually making an effort in practice...?
Yes.

Though I'm not able to meet a Buddhist instructor/teacher right away and I'm definitely taking my time to carefully approach the deep subjects.
AdmiralJim

Post by AdmiralJim »

the practice is quite simple, practioners like to make it complicated........
I don't know where we are going but it will be nice when we get there
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

You know . . If I purchase some exotic incense from Gonesh or Nag Champa it doesn't mean I'm going to actually travel to that address. *laugh*
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

ok,

Does Buddhism have anything positive or negative to say about Christianity? . .Please give your honest opinion.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Man, that's a huge topic.

To the extent that Christians and Christianity teach non-harming, and promoting love and kindess, "Buddhism" will reflect positively.

To the extent that Christianity relies on "faith in God" or in Jesus, Buddhism will say such faith is misplaced. Respect, and even admiration, for Jesus, sure....but mere belief and faith as salvific, nope......Buddhists do not agree.

What is "salvific," for Buddhists, is experiental abiding in Reality, and removing Ignorance about Truth. These have nothing to do with "God," or with "belief," even....

The above comments are just general "brushstrokes," perhaps the most important differences or contrasts between the two....as I said, it's a huge (and, frankly, ultimately somewhat useless) project to address all the similarities and differences..
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Does Buddhism have anything positive or negative to say about Christianity? . .Please give your honest opinion.
"Buddhism" doesn't have anything to say about Christianity. Buddhism developed around 528 BCE; Christianity more than 500 years later. Buddhists might have opinions, but opinions will vary.

(There was no 'Christianity' at the time of the Buddha, so there would be no way to discuss a religion which is not even around yet.)
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I took note of the BCE period, historically.

There's also about a 400 year difference between the Old and New Testament of the 'Christian Bible.'
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Buddhism has no pope, no hierarchy. So whatever is said about Xtianity is said by individual Buddhists. Even then, most Buddhists do not know very well the varied types of Xtian theology & practices.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I'm sure that some Christians who properly understand the 'Christian Bible' would object to "idol worship" or declare "false gods."

What do we say to that? not sure.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I, personally, say nothing.

Why bother?

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

conebeckham wrote:Man, that's a huge topic.

To the extent that Christians and Christianity teach non-harming, and promoting love and kindess, "Buddhism" will reflect positively.

To the extent that Christianity relies on "faith in God" or in Jesus, Buddhism will say such faith is misplaced. Respect, and even admiration, for Jesus, sure....but mere belief and faith as salvific, nope......Buddhists do not agree.

What is "salvific," for Buddhists, is experiental abiding in Reality, and removing Ignorance about Truth. These have nothing to do with "God," or with "belief," even....

The above comments are just general "brushstrokes," perhaps the most important differences or contrasts between the two....as I said, it's a huge (and, frankly, ultimately somewhat useless) project to address all the similarities and differences..
One particular parrallel between Buddhism and Christianity as that both have factors of Enlightenment. Albeit in different ways

(Different forms of Enlightenment) Two different worlds really.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

ok,

I've been reading this info about 'What the Buddha taught' . . at the Chapter 6 section It discusses 'Anatta' doctrine of no soul.

So, why no soul in Buddhist thought? . .
Last edited by Wesley1982 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Wesley-

What purpose is served?

If you wish to learn about Buddhism, you need to take it on it's own terms. You will not understand Buddhism by trying to compare it with Christianity. Just as one example, whatever Christianity says about "Enlightenment," I guarantee it has nothing to do with "Enlightenment" in Buddhism.

If you wish to learn about Buddhism, you need to maintain an open mind, and resist trying to force Buddhist concepts into equivalancies with other traditions.

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

"Buddhist thought" maintains a doctrine of Anatta. Impermanence. All conditioned phenomena are impermanent by nature. Notions of "soul," or some sort of essential, unchanging selfhood, are mere concepts, with no reality, according to Buddhism.

Why is this so? Because no such soul or self can be found, upon inspection.

Keep reading.....I think Rahula's book will explain this.

Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Is Walpola Rahula good for spiritual reading? . .
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Yes, "What the Buddha Taught" is a great introduction to the "basics" of Buddhism.

krodha

Post by krodha »

Wesley1982 wrote:I'm sure that some Christians who properly understand the 'Christian Bible' would object to "idol worship" or declare "false gods."

What do we say to that? not sure.
Ancient Greeks who worshipped Zeus would probably object to a notion of Jesus and proclaim him a false god.. With belief systems it all comes down to where/when you were raised. So what does that tell you? They're just beliefs... Buddhism isn't based in belief but in empirical investigation and understanding which comes from experience and practice. There are some sub sects of Buddhism which are more of a belief system but the majority isn't. If you approach Buddhism as being a mere belief system like christianity then (in my opinion) you won't be getting the full experience. It's more of a practical undertaking based on trial/error, cause/effect, reasoning etc..

And again the tendency for Christians (or any other religion) to declare other religions/philosophies 'idol worship' or 'false gods' is due to the fact that they're identifying with a belief. And in order for that belief to be legitimate one has to negate everything else, it's done out of insecurity. Buddhism (in the most compassionate way possible) calls this ignorance and dualistic attachment and instead seeks to understand how the mind falls prey to such behavior and teaches how to prevent it.
Last edited by krodha on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”