Taking bimala, question about anupana

A forum for all questions about Tibetan Medicine. No more posting in this forum until further notice.
Pema Rigdzin

Taking bimala, question about anupana

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Namdrol la,

I saw your advice on siddhienergetics about combining bimala with warmed milk sweetened by succanat.

Do you know if using sweeteners like xylitol or stevia instead would also work?
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Pema Rigdzin

Re: Taking bimala, question about anupana

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Also, do you think it would be fine to take a tea of triphala in the A.M. while taking bimala at bedtime?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Namdrol la,

I saw your advice on siddhienergetics about combining bimala with warmed milk sweetened by succanat.

Do you know if using sweeteners like xylitol or stevia instead would also work?

I don't know-- they are not traditional.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Also, do you think it would be fine to take a tea of triphala in the A.M. while taking bimala at bedtime?

Triphala is very drying. I am not a big fan of triphala used all the time.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Namdrol wrote:
Pema Rigdzin wrote:Also, do you think it would be fine to take a tea of triphala in the A.M. while taking bimala at bedtime?

What about for a short period of time, while taking bimala in the PM?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

What about for a short period of time, while taking bimala in the PM?

Why are you using it?
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Namdrol wrote:

Why are you using it?
Because I understand it's balancing to all three doshas - I'm a kapha-pitta who's about 60 lbs overweight (though have lost about 15 lbs since January through eliminating processed foods and going organic), beginning to exhibit insulin resistance (although that's been entirely remedied since January through proper diet), and has anxiety and depression. Was taking semde & agar which helped a lot with the anxiety & depression, but just switched to bimala the other day after finishing the semde & agar. Also, depletion of ojas through not being so wise while recovering from a cold (and it was probably a slight bit depleted before). Right now, in process of very slowly weening myself off low dose of anxiety meds and all is going well even though I'm in college right now which is kinda stressful, though sleep has been rough. I should add that the depression & anxiety, though difficult, are relatively mild but persisteent.

So, long story short, thought the triphala might supplement the bimala to balance me, along with diet and self-massage, and also restore ojas.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Why are you using it?
Because I understand it's balancing to all three doshas - I'm a kapha-pitta who's about 60 lbs overweight (though have lost about 15 lbs since January through eliminating processed foods and going organic), beginning to exhibit insulin resistance (although that's been entirely remedied since January through proper diet), and has anxiety and depression. Was taking semde & agar which helped a lot with the anxiety & depression, but just switched to bimala the other day after finishing the semde & agar. Also, depletion of ojas through not being so wise while recovering from a cold (and it was probably a slight bit depleted before). Right now, in process of very slowly weening myself off low dose of anxiety meds and all is going well even though I'm in college right now which is kinda stressful, though sleep has been rough. I should add that the depression & anxiety, though difficult, are relatively mild but persisteent.

So, long story short, thought the triphala might supplement the bimala to balance me, along with diet and self-massage, and also restore ojas.
Vimala already has triphala in it, as does Agar 35. In Tibetan medicines it used as a buffer.

If you are looking to lose weight Ayurvedically, then follow the Colorado cleanse. Depending on your diligence, you could lose 20 pounds in two weeks.

N
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

I think since I started trying to eat and live according to ayurveda this past January I let myself get a bit obsessed with trying to do everything I can to remedy my conditions and trying to "maximize the effects" of everything. Of course that kind of thinking and grasping itself is the root of at least part of my problems. I'm just gonna relax and be satisfied with the power of vimala and good ayurveda-guided nutrition-and not least of all, Dharma practice-to allow me to be happy and healthy.

So at night I'll take the bimala straight with warm boiled water instead of worrying about "maximizing" it through anupana and messing with my blood sugar. And in the morning I'll take a vata-pacifying drink of soaked & peeled raw almonds with ginger, saffron, & nutmeg blended into warmed milk which will also serve to restore ojas and I'll look into doing the colorado cleanse soon as I can. How that sound?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:I think since I started trying to eat and live according to ayurveda this past January I let myself get a bit obsessed with trying to do everything I can to remedy my conditions and trying to "maximize the effects" of everything. Of course that kind of thinking and grasping itself is the root of at least part of my problems. I'm just gonna relax and be satisfied with the power of vimala and good ayurveda-guided nutrition-and not least of all, Dharma practice-to allow me to be happy and healthy.

So at night I'll take the bimala straight with warm boiled water instead of worrying about "maximizing" it through anupana and messing with my blood sugar. And in the morning I'll take a vata-pacifying drink of soaked & peeled raw almonds with ginger, saffron, & nutmeg blended into warmed milk which will also serve to restore ojas and I'll look into doing the colorado cleanse soon as I can. How that sound?

Sounds good. Ten year old Tawny Port is a great anupana BTW.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:Namdrol la,

Would raw honey in hot milk work as well?

In regard to aged Brandy or Tawny Port, I've read that an aged organic or at least all-natural Rum is a good one too (although I don't normally drink alcohol these days).
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Namdrol wrote:
Pema Rigdzin wrote:I think since I started trying to eat and live according to ayurveda this past January I let myself get a bit obsessed with trying to do everything I can to remedy my conditions and trying to "maximize the effects" of everything. Of course that kind of thinking and grasping itself is the root of at least part of my problems. I'm just gonna relax and be satisfied with the power of vimala and good ayurveda-guided nutrition-and not least of all, Dharma practice-to allow me to be happy and healthy.

Cool. Hey, thanks very much for your help.

P.S.: just take a normal size portion of the port with the bimala ground up and mixed in, right?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

Cool. Hey, thanks very much for your help.

P.S.: just take a normal size portion of the port with the bimala ground up and mixed in, right?
No, take your vimala and enjoy your port. No need to ruin the port with some herbs. Two ounces is a usual pour for port. Goes best in a proper Reidel port glass. :-)

N
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Namdrol wrote:
No, take your vimala and enjoy your port. No need to ruin the port with some herbs. Two ounces is a usual pour for port. Goes best in a proper Reidel port glass. :-)

N
Haha, nice. Thanks again!
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

I've read that Red Wine can be used as a Anupana, and also Yerma (also known as Emma or gYerma) soup.

How is Yerma soup made?

Apparently Yerma is the Tibetan name for Szechaun or Sichuan pepper; so for Yerma soup, would one simply grind up some Szechuan pepper, mix it with water, and boil it for a little while on low heat?

Also, could it be beneficial to mix some Ghee with the Yerma soup Anupana? (like say, after it is finished cooking, yet still warm)

Oh and about the hot milk thing I mentioned earlier, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche wrote something along the lines that heated milk could have a negative effect on those who are susceptible to liver problems; perhaps implying that unless you know for sure that your liver is very healthy, it's probably better to not drink heated milk.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

It actually wasn't necessarily red wine, it was for Chulen taken at night that is soaked in just any good quality wine for several hours.

And probably better to take Ghee separately, rather than with the Yerma-soup anupana.

Maybe for taking Chulen in the morning: Drink some Yerma first, take the pill, wait a few minutes, then drink some good quality organic milk (heated if we know that our liver won't have any reaction).

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search ... &x=25&y=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would it be recommended for taking Bimala at night, to drink some Yerma-soup first, and then take the Bimala with either port or warm water?

Return to “Tibetan Medicine”