Question ~ Answer Thread

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Question ~ Answer Thread

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Wesley1982 wrote:can anyone on earth become a buddhist? . .
If one has enough confidence in the Buddha's wise teachings to 'take refuge', then yes.

Here is what is involved in becoming a Buddhist:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el282.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Do you follow a daily routine or daily schedule? . .
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Wesley1982 wrote:Do you follow a daily routine or daily schedule? . .

First, find a teacher. Make sure they are qualified by observing their character for a number of years while learning Buddhism at the same time.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Namdrol wrote:

First, find a teacher. Make sure they are qualified by observing their character for a number of years while learning Buddhism at the same time.
I took instruction courses in Orthodox Christianity by a good priest/mentor that I know of. And it led to the study of -Eastern religions-

Maybe online ~ but its unlikely I'll find a Buddhist teacher/mentor in my area.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Wesley1982 wrote:
If so, then you'll have to travel some. Nearly all of us do, or have done: either commute from your home to where the teachings are given, or pick up and move to your teacher's area.

But it may well be that there are learning opportunities for you near enough. If you don't mind me asking, what part of the world are you in?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Wesley1982 wrote:
Namdrol wrote:

I took instruction courses in Orthodox Christianity by a good priest/mentor that I know of. And it led to the study of -Eastern religions-

It's worth travelling to go to a good retreat. Where do you live? Have a look at this page to see what groups are nearby: http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/region.php?region_id=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Look at the unfathomable spinelessness of man: all the means he's been given to stay alert he uses, in the end, to ornament his sleep. – Rene Daumal
the modern mind has become so limited and single-visioned that it has lost touch with normal perception - John Michell
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Jikan wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what part of the world are you in?
In the United States, the state of Texas central TX/Mexico standard time.

I got a calendar from a Buddhist community their website says http://www.watdallas.org <?> . .but its in Dallas, TX.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

I don't know how to read Sanskrit/Pali/Indian/Chinese yet. :?:
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

You can practice and get instruction in plain English. It can help to learn a liturgical language, but it's certainly not necessary for a beginner.

Texas is a big place. El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than Houston. If you're near Dallas, there are a number of options. Here are just a couple.

http://www.dallas.shambhala.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.pcddallas.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zenda

Post by Zenda »

You might find this interesting as well... http://www.dharmadas.co/mod/page/view.php?id=47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.dharmadas.co/mod/page/view.php?id=42" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

What about the Tao or Teh in Chinese philosophy? . .
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Yo, Wesley-

The concept of "Tao" is not really an orthodox Buddhist topic at all. It may have some bearing on Chinese interpretations of Buddhism, perhaps, but it's really a peripheral issue, even then.

You're asking a lot of questions, and Buddha himself stressed the importance of questioning the teachings, weighing them in one's mind. But....I think that frankly, your time is better served, at this stage in your search, by finding some good, basic books on the general concepts of Buddhism, spending some quality time with those books, and keeping an open mind, and accepting that one cannot learn everything about Buddhism overnight.

I believe some book titles were suggested previously. Then, if one wishes to move from a position of intellectual understanding the Dharma and what it's positions on issues may be, to a position of "practice" and experience, one really needs a teacher.

"Buddhism" is a huge, huge, subject...bottomless, really. The varieties of manifestation of the Dharma are more various than the sub-branches of Christianity, in my opinion. But in order to understand the common elements, a couple good books will take you far. In order to put Buddhism into practice, though, no book will do.

I hope these words help put things into some perspective for you.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

Yes, that is perspective. I'm not the type of person to ask many questions - that's why I asked if it was ok to ask questions.

I have more experience with Christianity and just became a new beginner at the study of Buddhism.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This is a good short online text on the basics of Buddha's teachings: http://www.budsas.org/ebud/nutshell/nshell00.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

In addition to reading books, I'd like to encourage you, if possible, to check out actual centers, and maybe attend a meditation session, though it may ben difficult given your location. Reading and studying are wonderful, but a living experience of how practice works, at a beginning level, is also valuable and can't be gotten from books.

Developing a relationship with a teacher takes time, and I'd suggest checking out a variety of traditions, while you're doing your reading...if that's possible.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

WIth so many varieties and choices I like the Shambhala element.
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

ok,

do Buddhists like to travel alot and make journeys? . .
Josef

Post by Josef »

Wesley1982 wrote:ok,

do Buddhists like to travel alot and make journeys? . .
Sure.
There is also the whole tradition of the "wandering yogi".
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Wesley1982

Post by Wesley1982 »

ok,

here's a real question.

In the realm of christian thought - it could be said that those who suffered while on earth receive the reward of 'heaven'

In the realm of buddhist thought - could the same be said of those who suffered while on earth were brought into "nirvana" ? . . .

Or is buddhist thought totally different? . .
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Wesley1982 wrote:ok,

here's a real question.

In the realm of christian thought - it could be said that those who suffered while on earth receive the reward of 'heaven'

In the realm of buddhist thought - could the same be said of those who suffered while on earth were brought into "nirvana" ? . . .

Or is buddhist thought totally different? . .
"Totally different"

1) No one 'brings' anyone into Nirvana - 2) Buddha's main purpose was to show us how to end suffering, which he did (4th Noble Truth) and which only we can do for ourselves.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”