YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

The international food store adventure - Dhamma Wheel

The international food store adventure

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Individual

The international food store adventure

Postby Individual » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:44 pm

Couldn't find the fish sauce in the "fish sauce" aisle because the labels weren't in English.

I asked an Asian guy for help because I moved out of his way and he said "thank you", which made me realize he spoke English and could help me.

I asked him where to find lime juice. He had trouble finding it because the lime juice was written in Spanish as "Limon juice", which he thought were lemons but actually limon is Spanish for lime.

They had all kinds of meats there... Goat, these funky-looking anchovies, and stuff I didn't even know what it was because it wasn't written in English.

I ordered some Korean food from the deli. When I got it, it was on a plate and I said I wanted it "to go", then I remembered Asians don't do that (right?), but they had carry-out boxes (very few) and the guy and this woman helped me. She asked me, "Two orders?" I thought she said, "Who ordered?" I said me, then just "Yes." (When you don't know, just say yes.)

I almost got my own food plus somebody else's food. So they had accidentally boxed up somebody else's food and after sliding it off of a plate and into a box, had to then slide it out of the box and back onto a plate. A couple of Asian teenagers' food. They laughed about it too.

When I got home, the food smelled good, except it had a 3-inch hair in it. I did the Buddhist thing, removed the hair, and kept eating until I was full.

Also, what is the difference between coconut juice, coconut water, coconut milk, and coconut syrup?
The best things in life aren't things.

Ben

Re: The international food store adventure

Postby Ben » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:14 pm

If that is the only multicultural grocery in your town/city, then I recommend getting to know them a little as they might be inclined to give you better customer servicce.
Coconut water is just the water-based liquid from the inside of the coconut. Coconut syrup, I suspect, is either a coconut flavoured sweetener or a sweetener derived from coconut.
Coconut milk and coconut cream are what you want to cook with if you are doing Thai or Sri Lankan curries. Coconut milk is more versatile. The cream, I find, is too rich. Go for the tinned coconut milk/cream rather than powder or block. Both products come from soaking the shredded coconut 'meat' and squeezing the milk or cream out of it. Keep in mind that coconut milk and cream contains a lot of fat and cholesterol. If you can get "lite" coconut milk or cream, go for that instead.

With regards to fish sauce, its marked as different things depending on where its come from. It can be confusing. Just to give you an idea - one brand of fish sauce that is sold in Australia has a picture of a big squid on the bottle. Anyway, this article from wiki might be able to help you track down a bottle in your local asian grocery: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Individual

Postby Individual » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:39 pm

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:46 pm

You're in MD, right? Was this one of the Korean supermarkets off Route 40?

Individual

Postby Individual » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:53 pm

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:14 pm

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:01 am

The more you explore new foods (and cultures), Individual, the easier you'll find them to deal with, and the more fun the food will be.
Most places are happy to sell you stuff (that's what they're there for, after all) and if they realise you need guidance before you buy, they are usually happy to provide it. Also, many immigrants love to share their food culture with locals and to practice the local language. Just don't expect them to go too far out of their way when they are really busy.
That said, everyone can be out of their comfort zone at times. I found this market a bit challenging :tongue:
:namaste:
Kim

Lazy_eye

Postby Lazy_eye » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:28 am

Return to “Lounge”