Divination and Astrology.

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

Divination and Astrology.

Postby Indrajala » Sat May 01, 2010 3:30 pm

I think it can be said that in India, the Tibetan cultural sphere and the Sinosphere of East Asia divination and astrology as highly technical and advanced crafts have existed over long centuries.

It also might be said that Buddhist communities and members of those communities have and continue to engage in divination and astrology. Divination is commonly studied in Tibetan monasteries as I understand. I know in Japan it is rare, but still studied.

But here the question I wish to propose for discussion:

Do you think it is possible to accurately forecast the future by utilizing divination and/or astrology?
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Re: Divination and Astrology.

Postby plwk » Sat May 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Interesting huseng...

1. Back to those non-Buddhist days, when I was a backsliding christian, when I used to dabble with astrology, tarot cards and etc...I now realized that back then, I was merely limiting my life based on something that cannot deliver me out of samsara...merely treating symptoms but not the roots, unlike the Buddha Dharma...

2. My famous Q those days on E-Sangha on this topic was...'Did the Buddha teach that?'

:popcorn:
plwk

Postby Indrajala » Sun May 02, 2010 1:42 am

plwk wrote:Interesting huseng...

1. Back to those non-Buddhist days, when I was a backsliding christian, when I used to dabble with astrology, tarot cards and etc...I now realized that back then, I was merely limiting my life based on something that cannot deliver me out of samsara...merely treating symptoms but not the roots, unlike the Buddha Dharma...

2. My famous Q those days on E-Sangha on this topic was...'Did the Buddha teach that?'

:popcorn:

As far as I know, there was no sermon on divination and astrology, though it is said that before Gautama's birth there was a prophecy that heralded him as becoming either a great sage or a great king which drove his father to shelter him from the sufferings of the world.

That being said, divination and astrology have existed and been practised. It is interesting in China for example divination was a special trade utilized by the state and held as quite valuable.

I'm just wondering if people think such practises actually work or not.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby muni » Sun May 02, 2010 11:04 am

http://www.men-tsee-khang.org/astrology/index.htm

Careful with conceptual creations (all is mind), can easely create fantasies.
muni

Return to Open Dharma