YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Help w/ Modern Daily Practice - Dhamma Wheel

Help w/ Modern Daily Practice

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
erniefernandez

Help w/ Modern Daily Practice

Postby erniefernandez » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:17 am

Greetings!

I am a long-time member of the now displaced e-Sangha and a long time Buddhist student and practitioner.

My inclination has always been toward the Theravada: that is to say, I am a Theravada Buddhist, but I do integrate certain practices or perspectives from other schools as they are compatible with the Nikayas.

I have recently gotten involved with a germinating Zendo in my home city which has never seen a Buddhist presence prior. I am practicing sitting meditation with them and just trying to help them along any way I can. Their (I say their as if there were more than the founding High Priest) [their] presence has made me aware of my own lack of a daily practice.

I would like to establish a daily practice for myself. Presently, I make small offerings at my shrine and tend it but I do not have a practice. Chanting would work, but I have not found that the practice speaks to me in a meaningful way unless in a group. Offerings work but I have trouble becoming as involved as I should. Mantras would work, although it's not very Theravada, as would mala--but I do not know how to really use them.

Essentially, I am a reasonably learned and devoted Buddhist with a strong practice in mindfulness (that is to say, I try often and fail just as often), but I have NO devotional practice. Nor can I find a way of making devotional practices meaningful or internally involving; they seem hallow.

Can anyone offer guidance in making devotional exercises involving and meaningful? It's not lack of trying, or wanting, but it just doesn't seem to happen.

cooran

Re: Help w/ Modern Daily Practice

Postby cooran » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:46 am

Hello ernie,

Maybe some ideas here?

Lay Buddhist Practice ... The Shrine Room, Uposatha Day, Rains Residence
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... el206.html

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Any reason why you don't meditate a bit everyday?

With metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:31 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Individual

Postby Individual » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:31 pm

The best things in life aren't things.

erniefernandez

Postby erniefernandez » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:13 am

I sit in meditation a few times a week at a local zendo.

Chris, thank you very much for that suggestion. I actually went ahead and ordered a print copy, along with some devotional texts, from the BPS in print. I'd like to have a bound copy and I enjoy spending money on their publications whenever I can. I think they're quite excited about the day they get rid of all those old prints, in fact!

Everyone, thank you very much.

Does anyone have any suggestions for making my practice more heartfelt? I am going to try and practice the regiment established in "Lay Buddhist Practice" (Chris's recommendation) but any suggestions for helping me ease affectively into the practice would be helpful. My heart is there, but I just don't feel it, yet. Perhaps it'll just take time.

Thank you all again.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”