Fukushima: It's much worse than you think

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

Re: Fukushima: It's much worse than you think

Postby ronnewmexico » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:23 am

What a surprise :smile: that they would do such a thing and that such a thing has now been found to have happened.

Who is surprised....I expect most are surprised...are you?
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Postby Mr. G » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:17 pm

How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Indrajala » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:30 am

The Japanese government has admitted it denied facts and lied about the severity of the situation, meanwhile they were considering plans to evacuate Tokyo while saying, "Don't panic! All is under control!"

There are pockets of high radiation scattered around Honshu and elevated levels even in Tokyo. It won't just go away in anyone's lifetime.

Meanwhile life is back to normal and business as usual.

When the cancer cases spike government officials will suggest "there is no correlation between the Fukushima incident and the present documented increased numbers of cancer cases we are presently observing." The government spokesman will then remark, "We believe it could be attributed to climate change, but the results of our investigation are pending."
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby kirtu » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Huseng wrote:There are pockets of high radiation scattered around Honshu and elevated levels even in Tokyo. It won't just go away in anyone's lifetime.

The majority of the fallout produced from Fukashima has a half-life of 18 days. This is just not that severe. We can predict precisely when people (both adults and children) and return to the evacuated areas.

I am amazed that the Japanese government hasn't been aggressive in clean up.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Mr. G » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Huseng wrote:
There are pockets of high radiation scattered around Honshu and elevated levels even in Tokyo. It won't just go away in anyone's lifetime.

I wanted to go visit Japan for a month in about two years. Do you think this is a bad idea? I'm looking to cover as much of Japan as possible within a month's time.
    How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Indrajala » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Mr. G wrote:
Huseng wrote:

I wanted to go visit Japan for a month in about two years. Do you think this is a bad idea? I'm looking to cover as much of Japan as possible within a month's time.

Well a visit won't hurt you unless you go to Fukushima inside the evacuation zone and then go for a swim at the beach. Then it might prove unhealthy.

The rest of Japan would be fine. Long-term living in Japan might prove to have risks. They've already found elevated radiation levels in the food supply.
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Mr. G » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks for the info Huseng! :smile:
    How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby kirtu » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:20 pm

So here is an up-to-date map of the radioactive contamination of Japan. The good news is that it is measured in nano-sieverts/hr. The bad news is that it is measured at all and indeed there are still badly contaminated areas relative to life before 11 March 2011. Most of these areas older people can return to without hazard (but not children).

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Mr. G » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:26 pm

Interesting. Thanks for that kirt.
    How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Mr. G » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:28 pm

The computer simulation presented here is obtained by continuously releasing particles at the site during the 2 months folllowing the earthquake and then by tracing the path of these particles. The dispersal model is ASR's Pol3DD. The model is forced by hydrodynamic data from the HYCOM/NCODA system which provides on a weekly basis, daily oceanic current in the world ocean. The resolution in this part of the Pacific Ocean is around 8km x 8km cells. We are treating only the sea surface currents. The dispersal model keeps a trace of their visits in the model cells. The results here are expressed in number of visit per surface area of material which has been in contact at least once with the highly concentrated radioactive water.

http://www.asrltd.com/japan/plume.php
    How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Mr. G » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Fukushima Farmers Face Decades of Tainted Crops as Fears Linger

Farmers in Japan’s Fukushima face years of additional losses as consumers continue to doubt the safety of produce from the region devastated a year ago by the tsunami and nuclear fallout, which may taint crops for decades.

Almost 100,000 farmers lost about 58 billion yen ($694 million) by March 1, or 25 percent of production, according to JA, the country’s biggest agricultural group. Imports of farm products jumped 16 percent to 5.58 trillion yen in 2011, according to the agriculture ministry.

Read More Here...
    How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Mr. G » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:52 pm

1 of Japan’s damaged reactors has high radiation, no water, renewing doubts about stability

By Associated Press, Published: March 27 | Updated: Wednesday, March 28, 12:18 AMAP

TOKYO — One of Japan’s crippled nuclear reactors still has fatally high radiation levels and hardly any water to cool it, according to an internal examination Tuesday that renews doubts about the plant’s stability.

A tool equipped with a tiny video camera, a thermometer, a dosimeter and a water gauge was used to assess damage inside the No. 2 reactor’s containment chamber for the second time since the tsunami swept into the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant a year ago. The probe done in January failed to find the water surface and provided only images showing steam, unidentified parts and rusty metal surfaces scarred by exposure to radiation, heat and humidity.

Read More Here...
    How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Mr. G » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Tokyo Soil Samples Would Be Considered Nuclear Waste In The US

While traveling in Japan several weeks ago, Fairewinds’ Arnie Gundersen took soil samples in Tokyo public parks, playgrounds, and rooftop gardens. All the samples would be considered nuclear waste if found here in the US. This level of contamination is currently being discovered throughout Japan. At the US NRC Regulatory Information Conference in Washington, DC March 13 to March 15, the NRC's Chairman, Dr. Gregory Jaczko emphasized his concern that the NRC and the nuclear industry presently do not consider the costs of mass evacuations and radioactive contamination in their cost benefit analysis used to license nuclear power plants. Furthermore, Fairewinds believes that evacuation costs near a US nuclear plant could easily exceed one trillion dollars and contaminated land would be uninhabitable for generations.
    How foolish you are,
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Indrajala » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:10 pm

I was in Tokyo to finish my MA program for five months before departing. I was actually in Kathmandu last year when the tsunami occurred and delayed my return back to Japan.

It goes without saying I was probably exposed to something radioactive during those five months. I have a lot of friends in Japan, too.

This is something the people will just be made to live with. It has long been business as usual. Fukushima tomatoes and all.
Dharma Depository (Site)

Indrajala

Postby treehuggingoctopus » Fri May 04, 2012 8:53 pm

. . . there they saw a rock! But it wasn't a rock . . .
treehuggingoctopus

Postby Indrajala » Sat May 05, 2012 5:34 am

treehuggingoctopus wrote:http://www.zcommunications.org/why-fukushima-is-a-greater-disaster-than-chernobyl-and-a-warning-sign-for-the-u-s-by-robert-alvarez

The Japanese government is on record as having openly lied to people about the dangers.

In a decade when all these weird diseases start being documented the government will assert there is no correlation between them and the Fukushima incident, and the people will swallow it.
Dharma Depository (Site)

Indrajala

Postby ronnewmexico » Sat May 05, 2012 5:46 am

Its all in the numbers H.

Few comparatively will suffer overtly. So it will not matter.
I in a thousand perhaps dies overtly from cause. ONe in ten perhaps dies a somewhat early death, earlier than without exposure.

Japan it seems will now stop this thing.
Others not a bit.
Till they also suffer this thing.
So in the end it serves purpose...this heinous thing and its result of same sort.

Ah....if only they would look to see before such happens...but never will that happen...it conflicts with the self money and all to be gained.
So never is seen that source of this heinous thing. Wanting to see this source is not to be found anywhere.
So in one form or other will persist this constant tragedy, as long as human exist, to suffer the result of human caused thing.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ronnewmexico

Previous

Return to News & Current Events