YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

tic-tac-toe - Dhamma Wheel

tic-tac-toe

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
chownah

tic-tac-toe

Postby chownah » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:09 pm

How on earth do you become good at this game?

Is it just practice?

From what I've seen, it relies a lot on intuition because trying to win through brute-force logic will take way more time than you'd want to spend and in which case you're better off using a computer to solve it.

chownah

Annapurna

Re: tic-tac-toe

Postby Annapurna » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:48 pm

Scheisse- i have no times for such games but a bit of tic tac toe for you here.... ;)

was a cool hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7VQNjnKRAQ

To avoid a misunderstanding, -I don't find you "scheiße"! :hug:
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:07 am

Go first, and start in a corner... if the other person doesn't put something in the opposite corner, go ahead and select the opposite corner....
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:41 am

I recently read somewhere that those who start in the centre statistically have the best chance to win.

lojong1

Postby lojong1 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:11 am

On 3 by 3 board, first player should never lose:
"For strategy purposes, there are therefore only three possible first marks: corner, edge, or center. Player X can win or force a draw from any of these starting marks; however, playing the corner gives the opponent the smallest choice of squares which must be played to avoid losing.

The second player, whom we shall designate "O", must respond to X's opening mark in such a way as to avoid the forced win. Player O must always respond to a corner opening with a center mark, and to a center opening with a corner mark. An edge opening must be answered either with a center mark, a corner mark next to the X, or an edge mark opposite the X. Any other responses will allow X to force the win. Once the opening is completed, O's task is to follow the above list of priorities in order to force the draw, or else to gain a win if X makes a weak play."

A player can play perfect tic-tac-toe (win or draw) given they move according to the highest possible move from the following table.
1. Win: If the player has two in a row, play the third to get three in a row.
2. Block: If the opponent has two in a row, play the third to block them.
3. Fork: Create an opportunity where you can win in two ways.
4. Block opponent's fork:
* Option 1: Create two in a row to force the opponent into defending, as long as it doesn't result in them creating a fork or winning. For example, if "X" has a corner, "O" has the center, and "X" has the opposite corner as well, "O" must not play a corner in order to win. (Playing a corner in this scenario creates a fork for "X" to win.)
* Option 2: If there is a configuration where the opponent can fork, block that fork.
5. Center: Play the center.
6. Opposite corner: If the opponent is in the corner, play a center of that row or column.
7. Empty corner: Play in a corner square.
8. Empty side: Play in a middle square on any of the 4 sides.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tic-tac-toe

texastheravadin

Postby texastheravadin » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:17 pm

I think it's just a natural ability with puzzles/games. I say that because my wife kicks my a** every single time. She's great at sudoku and other such puzzles. You can see it in her face...when she's looking at the page, her eyes are scanning, carefully plotting her next move. It's like that documentary I saw on idiot savants who literally see numbers everywhere. They can visualize complex number problems. I think my wife can visualize each possible scenario. It's creepy, unnatural, and somewhat evil. :tongue:

Perhaps she :quote: dabbled in witchcraft :quote: back in high school!

:anjali:

Josh
"Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed." — AN 11.12

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:59 am

lojong1

Postby lojong1 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Now that's mastered, try a 6x6 game of Go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_%28game%29
http://www.freegames.ws/games/boardgames/go/go.htm
Again, black/first player need never lose on this size board, however it's a good way to learn the game before moving up towards a regular 19x19 board.
Easy rules, good for kids who aren't quite ready for chess.

Return to “Lounge”