The 4 Spheres

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Dave The Seeker

The 4 Spheres

Post by Dave The Seeker »

Could you all help me to understand what Mahayanas 4 Spheres are.
I haven't found anything to really explain this.
Thanks

Kindest wishes, Dave
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Jnana

Re: The 4 Spheres

Post by Jnana »

The Seeker wrote:Could you all help me to understand what Mahayanas 4 Spheres are.
I haven't found anything to really explain this.
Can you expand a bit on what you're referring to, or provide a reference?
Dave The Seeker

I'm sorry that was a way too general question.
At the end of the Light Offering Prayer in the dedication, it says
By the force of this merit, in all my lives may I never be parted from Mahayana's four spheres, and may I reach the end of my journey along the paths of renunciation, bodhichitta, the pure view and the two stages
Thanks

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
plwk

Post by plwk »

I am guessing and thinking it's the Four Immeasurables connected with Bodhicitta?
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

The Seeker wrote:I'm sorry that was a way too general question.
At the end of the Light Offering Prayer in the dedication, it says
By the force of this merit, in all my lives may I never be parted from Mahayana's four spheres, and may I reach the end of my journey along the paths of renunciation, bodhichitta, the pure view and the two stages
Ah yes, often translated as the four "wheels" ('khor lo). They are (1) to live in a place where the necessities for practicing the Mahāyāna are easily found, (2) to rely on a holy being who practices and teaches the Mahāyāna, (3) to have great aspirations for the practice of the Mahāyāna, and (4) to have produced great merit in the past.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

The 4 spheres if I understand you correctly are your parents, Buddhas and Bodhisatvas, all sentient beings, and your nation. When you are offering prayers, you are offering to those. In a way to say you are honoring and thankful to your parents, to Buddhas and Bodhisatvas, all sentient beings, and your nation. Parents have brought you here, Buddhas and Boddhisatvas are your teachers and guidances, you are related to all sentient being through a special relationship such as the clothes you wear were made in China by the Chinese for example or the food that you eat brought to you by the farmers, and lastly your nation or country support you in many ways.
It’s eye blinking.
Dave The Seeker

Thank you for the replies. :namaste:

I believe I understand this a bit better now.
Another question would be about the two stages as mentioned in the very end of the quote.

Kindest wishes, Dave
~Lama Surya Das~

~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

~The Buddha~
Jnana

Post by Jnana »

The Seeker wrote:Another question would be about the two stages as mentioned in the very end of the quote.
That would be the creation stage (bskyed rim) and the completion stage (rdzogs rim) of vajrayāna practice.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”