YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Sudoku? - Dhamma Wheel

Sudoku?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Individual

Sudoku?

Postby Individual » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:30 am

How on earth do you become good at this game?

Is it just practice?

From what I've seen, it relies a lot on intuition because trying to solve a sudoku puzzle through brute-force logic will take way more time than you'd want to spend and in which case you're better off using a computer to solve it.

I would guess that kind of intuition develops from experience, because in first-person shooters, I have developed a kind of "sixth sense" from playing them so much. Sometimes, I just know where a guy is or where he's going to be because my spidey-sense is tingling (that's a Spider-Man reference, FYI). This is especially important in Halo when you need to throw a grenade based on a rough estimate of where the other guy will be in the next 2-3 seconds, something which you can never know with certainty because he could always choose to move this way or that way. And this skill is only improved by playing diligently, by actually trying to constantly learn and get better every day (which I do).

Could I start with smaller puzzles and work my way up to larger ones?

Any good sudoku sites out there?
The best things in life aren't things.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Sudoku?

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:56 am

Greetings Individual,

Nice to see you here!

:hello:

My experience with sudoku is that there's a few methods or mechanisms to use and in time you just work out (intuitively) the best way to sweep through them.

As for sites, I don't know... if I play sudoku it's on my Nokia phone, in the Brain Chamber game. That's a decent game except that there's no delete (that I've found yet) for if you realise you've put in the wrong number.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:19 am

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Individual

Postby Individual » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:41 am

fig tree

Postby fig tree » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:14 am

Individual

Postby Individual » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:24 am

I appreciate the tips, Fig Tree. The first two suggestions you recommended seem great for solving the easy and medium puzzles.

But with the third method, for solving hard puzzles -- there's a lot of possible forks in the hard puzzles, isn't there? How could you remember your guesses or guess logically? Doing it with paper, wouldn't you potentially need something like hundreds of copies of the puzzle, in order to go through each fork?

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:02 am

I don't have anything to contribute but a colleague is an expert on this topic and gave a talk for the students that can be seen here:

_/|\_

fig tree

Postby fig tree » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:49 am

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:11 pm

BubbaBuddhist

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Yes, after about a month the ones in the paper lack challenge. You get where you can crack them almost as fast as you can fill them in. There are some online sites with good tough ones. Good for keeping the aging brain soft and moist I guess. :lol:

J
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

Individual

Postby Individual » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Anicca

Postby Anicca » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:21 pm

A number of levels are available online to play or print-out

Metta

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:32 pm

If you want a really hard variant try out the hexadoku. It's essentially the same, but instead of going from 1 to 9 it goes from 1 to F.

@Kim O'hara: if you really get bored with normal puzzles try learning to program and build a sudoku solver ;)

Return to “Lounge”