Sutra's

Sutra's

Postby Greg_the_poet » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:54 am

I practice Soto. I'm aware that Zen DE-emphasizes sutra's in favor of Zazen, but could anyone give me any sutra's that may help guide me along the path? I'm finding it really difficult only doing Zazen. I'm aware of the Heart sutra obviously, but what others would you recommend?
Greg_the_poet

Re: Sutra's

Postby Noah » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:16 am

I love the Sutras and any you choose will give you enough "food for thought" if you are trying to give your practice some more "content."
A few I believe you may like (because they rock) are:
Lankavatara Sutra, Diamond Sutra, Platform Sutra and most def- the White Lotus Sutra!! The Pali texts are great if you want a more "authentic" teaching from the Buddha's own mouth with less of the flair, I suggest the Dhammapada. The Mahayana Sutras are an experience with higher consciousness that cannot be prepared for, good luck! :D
It is all happening right now :)
Noah

Postby kirtu » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:29 am

Greg_the_poet wrote:I practice Soto. I'm aware that Zen DE-emphasizes sutra's in favor of Zazen, but could anyone give me any sutra's that may help guide me along the path? I'm finding it really difficult only doing Zazen. I'm aware of the Heart sutra obviously, but what others would you recommend?

Why are you finding it difficult to practice zazen?

Actually different teachers have different views on reading sutras although even teachers who recommend it for some people deemphasize it relatively speaking.

The Heart Sutra and it's study are core medicine. Please try reading different versions and commentaries (Lopez is a good start).

Different sutras appeal to different people. Have you read the Lotus Stura, the Lamkaavatara Sutra, or the Avatamsaka Sutra? There are of course numerous other sutras some of which have just recently been translated. Conze's translations of the Prajnaparamita Sutra is in most libraries. Also the Pali Suttas are very helpful as well as the Dharmapada

Also readig the biographies of great masters is very helpful.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Will » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:00 am

Greg_the_poet wrote:I practice Soto. I'm aware that Zen DE-emphasizes sutra's in favor of Zazen, but could anyone give me any sutra's that may help guide me along the path? I'm finding it really difficult only doing Zazen. I'm aware of the Heart sutra obviously, but what others would you recommend?

This new translation of the Lankavatara Sutra, the fount of Ch'an, is now out:

http://zennist.typepad.com/zenfiles/201 ... sutra.html

Also, as far as books go, this gem of teachings from Bodhisattva Hsuan Hua, is hard to beat:

http://www.cttbusa.org/chan/chan.asp

Also the Sixth Patriarch's Sutra with Master Hua's comments is excellent:

http://www.bttsonline.org/product.aspx?pid=125
One should refrain from biased judgments and doubting in fathoming the Buddha and the Dharma of the Buddhas. Even though a dharma may be extremely difficult to believe, one should nonetheless maintain faith in it. Nagarjuna
Will

Postby Astus » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:30 pm

There are many kinds of sutras and different Zen traditions take different sutras as their source. Here is a non-definitive list of those that are available in English.

The common sutras among the different lineages: Vimalakirti Sutra, Diamond Sutra, Lotus Sutra, Avatamsaka Sutra, Nirvana Sutra
Sutras that are important mostly in China and Korea: Perfect Enlightenment Sutra, Shurangama Sutra, Vajrasamadhi Sutra
Treatises of great importance: Mahayana Sraddhotpada Shastra, Mahaprajnaparamita Shastra (partially translated)
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby seeker242 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:16 pm

The Platform Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch Hui-neng is quite good. Ironically, Hui-neng was the teacher who locked the libraries and shredded sutras because people were to attached to them. :lol:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
seeker242

Return to Zen