"that resonates with me."

Anything goes (almost).

"that resonates with me."

Postby Jikan » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:24 pm

What does it mean when one says that a certain text or teacher "resonates" with him or her? In many contexts, it seems to imply a certain kind of validity; for instance, a member of our local group once tied himself in knots because he found both Rajneesh and Zen to "resonate" with him, even though they are not in agreement.

Is "resonating" a criterion for truth?
What on earth is it anyway?
Jikan
Site Admin

Re: "that resonates with me."

Postby Mr. G » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:50 pm

I think it means there was a karmic relationship that was established in the past.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Seishin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:00 pm

I have thought this also. I often hear people say they are searching for a Buddhist path that agrees with their own interpretation of life/philosophy/path. I've been guilty of this myself but have learnt that I didn't know everything before I started to learn :twothumbsup: I think, there is a lot of "truth" which I have had to learn to accept and a lot of what I believed to be truth was not truth.

Though I think, for many, it is a good starting point. If you find a path that "resonates" then you'll feel comfortable and IMHO more likely to practice. However, I think, if you find a path which doesn't resonate, you are more likely to have conflictions & doubts and less likely to practice.

Gassho,
Seishin.
Seishin
Former staff member

Postby KeithBC » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:20 pm

When someons says that something resonaes with them, I think it usually means that, while they do not necessarily agree with the whole package, they do recognize some element(s) of truth(s) in it. For example, there are aspects of Christianity that "resonate" with me, even though I am not and could never be a Christian.
KeithBC

Postby Jikan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:24 am

Dolly Parton's song "Coat of Many Colors" resonates with me. That doesn't mean it's true or real, or that I have some kind of connection with it. It just makes me feel a certain way: it feels true.

I think think this verb "resonate" is an alibi for unthinking acceptance of things that make us feel profound or whatever. So I'm skeptical of it.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby maybay » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:20 pm

Jikan wrote:Dolly Parton's song "Coat of Many Colors" resonates with me. That doesn't mean...that I have some kind of connection with it.

In light of Mr. G's comment its a pretty big claim you're making: that you perceive the full extent of your karma.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
maybay

Postby Mr. G » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Jikan wrote:Dolly Parton's song "Coat of Many Colors" resonates with me. That doesn't mean it's true or real, or that I have some kind of connection with it. It just makes me feel a certain way: it feels true.

Sensations and ideas are subject to karma. This can be referenced in the Dhatus and Indriyas chapters in the Abhidharmakosabhasyam.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby tobes » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:32 am

I don't think that the term has quite the epistemological baggage that you imbue it with - I think that maybe it is often used as a kind of pre-epistemic term.

i.e. Before I really investigate something to see if it is true or not true, I am drawn to investigate that thing and not others. Why that thing? Because I may feel an intuitive kinship or empathy with it, which makes it a seemingly worthwhile object to inquire about.

From a Buddhist pov, I guess it is mainly the processes of the samjnaskandha and samskarahskandha; the latter of which would be inclusive of Mr G's karmic explanation.

I don't see anything problematic about it, unless further epistemic inquiries are not undertaken, so 'resonating with' is the be all and end all of ones relationship to truth and untruth.

:anjali:
tobes
Global Moderator

Return to Lounge