The Buddhist Channel

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

The Buddhist Channel

Postby Seishin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 am

Anyone know what's happened to the Buddhist Channel? www.buddhistchannel.tv/ It hasn't worked for me for almost a week.

Gassho,
Seishin.
Seishin
Global Moderator

Re: The Buddhist Channel

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:42 pm

It's working for me right now.

Try this solution: sometimes your computer becomes clogged up with temporary files, cookies, saved pages, etc... and this interferes with the internet programs ability to access pages and sites.

If you have internet explorer then:

close the program
right click on the internet explorer program icon in the start button menu
choose "internet properties"
in the "browsing history" option press the "delete" button
make sure all the boxes except for the "preserve favorite websites" box are ticked and press "delete"

A number of windows will pop up showing delete progress.

You will probably need to log into email and other password protected sites when you start internet explorer again.

You can also do this from the tool menu in IE.

Another option is to download and install AML Free Registry cleaner and run the "disk cleaner" option. I do this 1-2 times a week since it is amazing how much dead and useless info your system stores automatically for you. This program will clean up other internet programs as well. I am sure that other programs have a similar procedure as the one I outlined above for IE but I don't know them.

If this doesn't work then: PANIC!!! Oh my Buddha!!! No access to Buddhist Channel!!! What will I do with my life??? :tongue:
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Seishin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks for that Greg o_O

Luckily I'm pretty tech savvy and so all the above has been done and exhausted already. I've even tried from different computers etc, thought I'd ask the qeustion in case someone here works for them or knows the people there etc. It's no big deal.
Seishin
Global Moderator

Postby kirtu » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Seishin wrote:Anyone know what's happened to the Buddhist Channel? http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/ It hasn't worked for me for almost a week.

From the site response behavior and the headline there I would surmise that our friends, the PRC cyberwariors, are up to their old tricks. Then again, maybe not.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Ummmm... I have no business with the PRC yet I can access the page.
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Mr. G » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:43 pm

This is strange. I'm in the U.S., and I can't access it. However, some tools are stating it's up:

http://isitup.org/www.%C2%ADbuddhistchannel.%C2%ADtv
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Will » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:49 pm

No problems getting the channel here in California, USA.
Revealing one essence: this means the inherently pure, complete, luminous essence, which is pure of its own nature. -- Fa-tsang
Will

Postby Mr. G » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:52 pm

Hmmm....East Coast here.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Seishin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Southern UK and not getting it :shrug:
Seishin
Global Moderator

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Check firewall settings?
Try a different internet browser program?
Go to a computer with a different ISP?
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Seishin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Like I said, I've tried that. It might be something to do with their server. :shrug:
Seishin
Global Moderator

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:14 pm

And it didn't work off other computers???
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Seishin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:29 pm

No
Seishin
Global Moderator

Postby justsit » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:35 pm

Haven't been able to get it for several days, comcast/firefox in Delaware (USA East coast). :shrug:
justsit

Postby Sherab Dorje » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Are you saying: "No, it didn't work" or are you answering my question with a "No" ie, it did work? :thinking:
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member

Postby Seishin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Sorry, yeah, "no it didn't work" in answer to your question. I tried different computers in different areas (home, work, parents etc) and on different browsers.
Seishin
Global Moderator

Postby Blue Garuda » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:16 pm

No problems here in SW England - using Firefox and set up to delete all history, etc. each time I shut down.

Look what you're missing out on:

http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... 87,0,0,1,0

Matchmaking service gives Buddhist monks a boost in dating market
The Japan Times, Jan. 19, 2012

Kyodo, Japan -- Buddhist monks and matchmaking services may sound like an unlikely combination, but many Buddhist sects in the country are now offering such services for their monks as their temples face a dearth of successors and possible integration with other temples.
One such sect is the Koyasan Shingon, headquartered on Mount Koya, Wakayama Prefecture.

Out of its 3,700 temples nationwide, some 800 currently have no managing monks and are being overseen by other temples.

In Japan, it is typical for relatives of monks — especially head monks — to inherit caretaker duties of their temples.

But because of a lack of successors, the monks have become desperate to find wives in order to preserve this tradition and save their temples from being closed or integrated.

According to Takua Kamei of Kongobuji, the head temple of the Shingon sect, one problem is that "the harder they pursue Buddhism, the fewer opportunities they can have to meet people of the opposite sex."

:sage:
Left
Blue Garuda

Postby kirtu » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:33 pm

BuddhistChannel.tv response seems spotty right now.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

“All beings are Buddhas, but obscured by incidental stains. When those have been removed, there is Buddhahood.”
Hevajra Tantra
kirtu
Former staff member

Postby Will » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:04 pm

Both Safari & Chrome via Time Warner get it fine in So.Cal.

One of the lead stories:

India lost Buddha to China: Rector
DNA India, Mar 1, 2012, Mumbai, India --

“Indians, over centuries, have lost their Buddhist culture to countries like China,’’ said Charles Willemen, rector, International Buddhist College, Thailand.

Willemen was present at the Somaiya Centre for Buddhist Studies where the Buddhist Studies Series was inaugurated with the release of first volume, Outlining the Way to Reflect - a book by Willemen which explains the basic modules of meditation from the ancient Buddhist culture.

With the series, the institute aims at introducing the young generation to this ancient culture, which originally belonged to India.

Willemen said, “Buddhism originated in India, but the country has lost the culture. China can give back to India a lot of its own culture. There have been several factors from history that have contributed to this decline of Buddhism in India. Many expert minds have given different reasons for this situation. Now, when foreigners are bringing back the same thing, the locals have now started re-recognising it.”

Outlining the Way to Reflect is a tribute to Kumarajiva, originally an Indian expert in Buddhism who translated many Buddhist texts from Sanskrit to Chinese. It baffles me when Buddhist studies are related to the learning of the Pali language, whereas the religion originated from Sanskrit,” said Willemen.

He continued, “It is important to promote Buddhist culture among students, along with other mainstream subjects.”

The Buddhist Studies Series is an initiative of the KJ Somaiya Centre for Buddhist Studies, which will publish research works on the diverse perspectives from which the Buddhist tradition has been studied. Encompassing all of Buddhist tradition, the series will comprise textual studies and translations, historical, sociological and philosophical investigations, as well as studies relating to Buddhist religious practices and Buddhist expressions in the art and cultures of Asia.

The series will also include such modern, inter-disciplinary dimensions to Buddhism as contemplative studies, social engagement, gender studies and perspectives on ethics and ecology, according to Supriya Rai, of the Buddhist Studies Centre at Somaiya.
Revealing one essence: this means the inherently pure, complete, luminous essence, which is pure of its own nature. -- Fa-tsang
Will

Postby Tilopa » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Seishin wrote:Like I said, I've tried that. It might be something to do with their server. :shrug:

Perhaps it's just a lack of merit on your part. Try some intensive purification and accumulation and see what happens! :tongue:
Tilopa

Next

Return to Open Dharma