Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

padma norbu

Re: Dzogchen Community of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Dronma wrote:
padma norbu wrote:New Guru Yoga e-book... anyone know what it is? Do I already own it in a paper format or is this something brand spanking new? I have the explanation of transmission booklet, which it says is explained in the Guru Yoga e-book. I'm sure that's not really what their selling at $9 for a PDF, though, since the paper product was originally only $5, I think.
Padma Nordu, this is the new e-book about Guru Yoga:
http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... tail&p=455

It contains much more than the old transmission booklet and it was first published in paper on 2011:
http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... tail&p=434

I think it is indispensable for anyone who likes to practise Dzogchen. :thumbsup:
Ah, thank you! Looks very good indeed. So good, I wish it was paper. :) This will do... all the more reason I need to get an e-reader.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

It does exist in paperform too.
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Dronma wrote:
padma norbu wrote:New Guru Yoga e-book... anyone know what it is? Do I already own it in a paper format or is this something brand spanking new? I have the explanation of transmission booklet, which it says is explained in the Guru Yoga e-book. I'm sure that's not really what their selling at $9 for a PDF, though, since the paper product was originally only $5, I think.

It contains much more than the old transmission booklet and it was first published in paper on 2011:

I think it is indispensable for anyone who likes to practise Dzogchen. :thumbsup:
Dronma,

Once one's made the purchase, how long to they typically take to send the file? I ask because I just bought this e-book expecting it would lead me to some sort of download page, but that never happened. There's also no download in the "downloads" tab on my account page.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
blackpath

Post by blackpath »

Once one's made the purchase, how long to they typically take to send the file?
I received it attached to an e-mail, 45 minutes after purchase. The PDF document has your name embedded into it, and it is password protected (password included in the e-mail. If this is not an automated process, the wait time could be highly variable.
Pero

Post by Pero »

padma norbu wrote: Ah, thank you! Looks very good indeed. So good, I wish it was paper. :) This will do... all the more reason I need to get an e-reader.
Don't get an a e-reader just because of PDFs, they're not made for them. I got a Kindle and while I can view PDFs it's more of a last resort or something hehe. Though Kindle Fire might be fine and any other tablet computer.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
ratna

Post by ratna »

Pero wrote:Don't get an a e-reader just because of PDFs, they're not made for them. I got a Kindle and while I can view PDFs it's more of a last resort or something hehe. Though Kindle Fire might be fine and any other tablet computer.
Large format (9-inch) e-ink readers are kind of OK for PDFs, at least those that have real PDF support not some conversion based process.
Pero

Post by Pero »

ratna wrote:
Pero wrote:Don't get an a e-reader just because of PDFs, they're not made for them. I got a Kindle and while I can view PDFs it's more of a last resort or something hehe. Though Kindle Fire might be fine and any other tablet computer.
Large format (9-inch) e-ink readers are kind of OK for PDFs, at least those that have real PDF support not some conversion based process.
Yeah but I think they cost twice as much too.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Dronma,

Once one's made the purchase, how long to they typically take to send the file? I ask because I just bought this e-book expecting it would lead me to some sort of download page, but that never happened. There's also no download in the "downloads" tab on my account page.
Pema Rigdzin, I do not know because I did not buy this ebook, since I have got it in paper. But I am going to buy next new ebooks.
Send an email to SSI. They always reply kindly, although occasionally they need some time... ;)
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

Dronma wrote:
Pema Rigdzin, I do not know because I did not buy this ebook, since I have got it in paper. But I am going to buy next new ebooks.
Send an email to SSI. They always reply kindly, although occasionally they need some time... ;)
Thanks for your reply. No worries. They actually emailed me the download link this morning and I've been enjoying it here and there all day. This book was exactly what I needed right now, so thank you so much for bringing it to our attention!
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

Pema Rigdzin wrote: Thanks for your reply. No worries. They actually emailed me the download link this morning and I've been enjoying it here and there all day. This book was exactly what I needed right now, so thank you so much for bringing it to our attention!
You are welcome! I am glad that you like it. :smile:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
pensum

Post by pensum »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:
Dronma wrote:

Dronma,

i received my copy within 24 hours. however, though the delivery was prompt, the file will not open on my Sony eReader, nor is it possible to print the file, so the only option for reading it is by using a pdf reader on a computer. not exactly the best method and quite the disappointment especially when assured that the file was "compatible with all popular ebook reading devices and tablets." so i have written to Shangshung expressing my displeasure and asking for a solution. so until they have worked the bugs out--buyer beware!
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

pensum wrote:the file will not open on my Sony eReader, nor is it possible to print the file, so the only option for reading it is by using a pdf reader on a computer. not exactly the best method and quite the disappointment especially when assured that the file was "compatible with all popular ebook reading devices and tablets." so i have written to Shangshung expressing my displeasure and asking for a solution. so until they have worked the bugs out--buyer beware!
A sony e-reader is not really considered "popular". I'm sure there wouldn't be an issue with an Android tablet, Kindle, Nook, etc.

Use Calibre to convert the file.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
pensum

Post by pensum »

Mr. G wrote:
pensum wrote:the file will not open on my Sony eReader, nor is it possible to print the file, so the only option for reading it is by using a pdf reader on a computer. not exactly the best method and quite the disappointment especially when assured that the file was "compatible with all popular ebook reading devices and tablets." so i have written to Shangshung expressing my displeasure and asking for a solution. so until they have worked the bugs out--buyer beware!
A sony e-reader is not really considered "popular". I'm sure there wouldn't be an issue with an Android tablet, Kindle, Nook, etc.

Use Calibre to convert the file.

Well, i'm sure all those who use a sony ereader would consider them "popular"! the main point however being that whatever ereader one has it must have the capability to open password protected PDFs, including a keyboard of some kind to input the password.

thanks for the advice, i had thought of using Calibre myself and so the first thing i tried was converting the file, however sadly it wouldn't. so at present my only option is to read it in a PDF reader on my computer, which obviously is far from ideal. i would have thought that i would have at least been allowed to print a copy.
arsent

Post by arsent »

One of the best e-ink readers I choose for myself to read technical pdfs is a Pocketbook 902 -912. It could be very good for such e-book also.
It can read protected DRM pdf. Check a website here:
http://www.pocketbookreader.com/PocketBook_912.html
:thumbsup:
pensum

Post by pensum »

arsent wrote:One of the best e-ink readers I choose for myself to read technical pdfs is a Pocketbook 902 -912. It could be very good for such e-book also.
It can read protected DRM pdf. Check a website here:
http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/node/1995
:thumbsup:
Thanks for your suggestion as well. But just to be clear, it is not the DRM protection which is the issue preventing the file from opening, but rather the user password that must be typed in each time one wants to open the file. To my knowledge many ereaders do not allow one to type in a password in this manner, and anyway I am not about to go out and buy a new eReader just to read a single book, especially when i already have a rather nice one which works well for everything but this one book; besides it would be much cheaper to just buy a copy of the print version which i still find preferable anyway.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

For anyone about to buy an e-reader blindly, I'd like to point out the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet are the best for viewing PDFs, even though they don't have an e-ink display. What they do have is the ability to zoom like an iPhone and enough memory to view scanned page pdfs. The black and white e-ink readers are basically terrible for PDFs because you can never size them right and they can't handle larger files. I'm probably going to get the Nook Tablet since it has better specs all around and I just really want it for PDFs.

btw, what time is the webcast transmission tonight for us NYers? I suck at converting timezones.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

10 pm tonight for NY.....3am for me in the UK! Got my alarm set for 2:45 am!
s.
Sönam

Post by Sönam »

samdrup wrote:10 pm tonight for NY.....3am for me in the UK! Got my alarm set for 2:45 am!
... and 4:00am in France ... luckily I go to the toilet around 3:30
By understanding everything you perceive from the perspective of the view, you are freed from the constraints of philosophical beliefs.
By understanding that any and all mental activity is meditation, you are freed from arbitrary divisions between formal sessions and postmeditation activity.
- Longchen Rabjam -
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Ha! Natures alarm clock! Enjoy tonight Sonam.
s.
pensum

Post by pensum »

padma norbu wrote:For anyone about to buy an e-reader blindly, I'd like to point out the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet are the best for viewing PDFs, even though they don't have an e-ink display. What they do have is the ability to zoom like an iPhone and enough memory to view scanned page pdfs. The black and white e-ink readers are basically terrible for PDFs because you can never size them right and they can't handle larger files. I'm probably going to get the Nook Tablet since it has better specs all around and I just really want it for PDFs.

btw, what time is the webcast transmission tonight for us NYers? I suck at converting timezones.
however, unfortunately Nook is apparently not compatible with Shangshung ebooks. I wrote to them which led to them detailing compatibilities on their site (see http://www.shangshungstore.org/index.ph ... w&p=ebooks). i also received a very detailed and considerate reply. overall, though disappointed in the approach they have opted to take in regard to locking ebooks which i personally feel is flawed (for example not being able to print a copy for personal use), i am sympathetic to their concerns and impressed by their intentions as well as their openness to dialogue.

Return to “Dzogchen”