Bodhisattva Vows in EA Buddhism

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
sangyey

Bodhisattva Vows in EA Buddhism

Post by sangyey »

Hi all,

I wanted to post this inquiry as I am interested in learning how the Bodhissatva Vows are different than those in the Tibetan Tradition.

Thank you.
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Bodhisattva Vows in EA Buddhism

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

From the Brahma Net Sutra:

http://www.ymba.org/bns/bnsframe.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

:anjali:

Does EA Buddhism make a distinction between aspiring and engaging bodhicitta?
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Will, I checked this out from a previous post you had posted

菩薩戒本
The Book of Bodhisattva Precepts

Pehaps from Asanga's Bodhisattva Bhumi's

Did the initial link originate from the Budddha and then the other link The Book of Bodhisattva Precepts originate as more of an elaboration from Meitreya or Asanga. Is that how it should be undertood?
plwk

Post by plwk »

http://www.ymba.org/bns/bnsframe.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
After I informed the Assembly of my intention to lecture on the Brahma Net Sutra, a laywoman asked,
"Master, I havenot yet received the Bodhisattva Precepts. Would you still allow me to attend the lectures and listen to your explanations?"
I replied, "Of course, by all means. If I were lecturing on the Bhiksu/Bhiksuni precepts, you would not be permitted to attend, even if you requested it with utmost sincerity. However, as far as the Bodhisattva Precepts are concerned, I hope that you and all your friends can come and listen; the more people, the better.
Listening to the Precepts not only does not violate the rules of discipline, it in fact helps to awaken the Bodhi Mind and develop the precepts of the Buddha Nature inherent in all of us." (Elder Master Yen-p'ei, Singapore, ca 1969)
1 2 3 45 6 7 8

Addendum:
The Four Great Vows: 1 2 3 (Page 20) 4 5 6
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

sangyey wrote:Will, I checked this out from a previous post you had posted

菩薩戒本
The Book of Bodhisattva Precepts

Pehaps from Asanga's Bodhisattva Bhumi's

Did the initial link originate from the Budddha and then the other link The Book of Bodhisattva Precepts originate as more of an elaboration from Meitreya or Asanga. Is that how it should be undertood?
Read the notes of the translator regarding sutras 31 & 32.

Just from memory, I believe the 18 major & 46 minor vows that the Tibetans use came from a sutra - Akasagarbha? and Asanga's bodhisattva grounds. However there are also bodhisattva vows in other sutras - Avatamsaka, Ratnakuta are two that come to mind.

So why these two particular sets became favorites in EA & Central Asia, I do not know.
Huifeng

Post by Huifeng »

sangyey wrote:Hi all,

I wanted to post this inquiry as I am interested in learning how the Bodhissatva Vows are different than those in the Tibetan Tradition.

Thank you.
First of all, the East Asian tradition has moved back and forth a bit over the centuries between using the Mahayana Brahmajala Sutra and the Yogacara Bodhisattva precepts as their main text (the other usually remaining as the secondary text).

For example, when I was ordained, we used both texts for our class material in preparation for the bodhisattva precepts. If I recall correctly, one Venerable lectured on one text, and another Venerable lectured on the other.
sangyey wrote:Does EA Buddhism make a distinction between aspiring and engaging bodhicitta?
Nowadays it does, but I don't think that this was used before about a century ago.

It's far more likely to use some sort of ground (bhumi) type system, whether the ten grounds of texts like the Prajnaparamita, or 40 grounds from say the Avatamsaka, or other similar systems. The ideas corresponding to aspiring and engaging can usually be found within these systems.

~~ Huifeng
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Hi there,

As mentioned by previous posters, the Yogacarabhumi bodhisattva vows (precepts) from Asanga/Maitreya are common to both traditions. I've uploaded a vow-by-vow document comparing the actual contents, matching vows from both traditions to their corresponding ones. However, due to my limited Chinese skills, errors are definitely possible. The English bodhisattva vows are from the Tibetan tradition, taken from the FPMT's Bodhisattva Vows booklet. The Chinese is from Fayun Monastery's compilation of the vows. The Chinese expression of the vows are much more detailed, especially featuring the various exception for when the vow is not violated, but the rough essence of the vows are the same. In addition to the Mahayana Brahmajala (Brahma Net) Sutra bodhisattva vows and the Yogacarabhumi bodhisattva vows, the Chinese tradition also transmits the Upasaka Precept Sutra (優婆塞戒經) bodhisattva vows in some cases (The City of Ten Thousand Buddhas being one case). The vows can be read here: http://www.drby.net/attachments/035_The ... nglish.pdf
Attachments
The major bodhisattva precepts common to both systems.pdf
(393.86 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

jmlee369 wrote:Hi there,

As mentioned by previous posters, the Yogacarabhumi bodhisattva vows (precepts) from Asanga/Maitreya are common to both traditions. I've uploaded a vow-by-vow document comparing the actual contents, matching vows from both traditions to their corresponding ones. However, due to my limited Chinese skills, errors are definitely possible. The English bodhisattva vows are from the Tibetan tradition, taken from the FPMT's Bodhisattva Vows booklet. The Chinese is from Fayun Monastery's compilation of the vows. The Chinese expression of the vows are much more detailed, especially featuring the various exception for when the vow is not violated, but the rough essence of the vows are the same. In addition to the Mahayana Brahmajala (Brahma Net) Sutra bodhisattva vows and the Yogacarabhumi bodhisattva vows, the Chinese tradition also transmits the Upasaka Precept Sutra (優婆塞戒經) bodhisattva vows in some cases (The City of Ten Thousand Buddhas being one case). The vows can be read here: http://www.drby.net/attachments/035_The ... nglish.pdf
These are very valuable pdfs jmlee; prostrations for posting them :bow: :bow: :bow:
sangyey

Post by sangyey »

Thank you very much. I have been trying to take time out every day to study the vows and appreciate all the various sources.

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”