GigaPedia/Library.nu Shut Down

A place for discussion of current events. Buddhist news would be particularly appreciated.

GigaPedia/Library.nu Shut Down

Postby Astus » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:28 pm

"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Re: GigaPedia/Library.nu Shut Down

Postby Indrajala » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 pm

Publishing companies really need to get their act together. It doesn't matter how much you complain about copyright infringement, people will share these books. With kindles and eBook readers, and even tablet PCs, becoming so popular, people will be all the more inclined to download books.

If they offered the pdfs on their websites at an affordable price (rather than just a marginal markdown from a printed edition), they might innovate a new business model for themselves.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Mr. G » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Huseng wrote:If they offered the pdfs on their websites at an affordable price (rather than just a marginal markdown from a printed edition), they might innovate a new business model for themselves.

Yup, this is what Steam does with their video games. It's a successful business model that is effective against piracy.
    How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby padma norbu » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:17 pm

I would certainly pay $3.99 (or less) for an e-reader version of any book I buy since I only buy books used from Amazon and their shipping is $3.99 minimum... or from Strand and other used book stores. Once I started reading a lot, the idea of paying $15 - $30 for a single book seemed frigging preposterous to me. In fact, as of late, I started going to the library once I realized the quality of books NYC libraries carry.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Postby Indrajala » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:03 am

padma norbu wrote:I would certainly pay $3.99 (or less) for an e-reader version of any book I buy since I only buy books used from Amazon and their shipping is $3.99 minimum... or from Strand and other used book stores. Once I started reading a lot, the idea of paying $15 - $30 for a single book seemed frigging preposterous to me. In fact, as of late, I started going to the library once I realized the quality of books NYC libraries carry.

Well that's just it -- the ebook editions are usually only marginally less expensive than the printed editions. Clearly the cost is not in the actual printing and binding, but all the overhead fees and so on. Authors of academic works often get paid beans. Royalty checks for $21. You put more money into a work than you ever get back.

Clearly the system is rigged.

If they instituted a model where books costs under $5 for digital versions, they might actually make more money rather than paying lawyers to combat piracy.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala

Postby Mr. G » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:49 pm

How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Mr. G

Postby Astus » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:08 pm

Copying sutras and other texts have been a major merit making activity among Buddhists. Digital media simply makes it easier to gain merit by spreading the teaching. :tongue:

You can even roll a prayer wheel from home (Hungarian site, no English, button is at the bottom of the homepage, you can also leave a message above it): http://www.imamalom.hu/
"There is no such thing as the real mind. Ridding yourself of delusion: that's the real mind."
(Sheng-yen: Getting the Buddha Mind, p 73)

“Don’t rashly seek the true Buddha;
True Buddha can’t be found.
Does marvelous nature and spirit
Need tempering or refinement?
Mind is this mind carefree;
This face, the face at birth."

(Nanyue Mingzan: Enjoying the Way, tr. Jeff Shore; T51n2076, p461b24-26)
Astus
Former staff member

Postby Pero » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Mr. G wrote:There are those of us who already have physical copies of books, but would like access to e-book versions.

Yup. For example I always thought I'd be great if Amazon offered free e-book versions of the physical books I bought, but since it doesn't, torrents are great hehe. I also like it because that way I can preview the whole book.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Pero

Postby pueraeternus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Pero wrote:
Mr. G wrote:There are those of us who already have physical copies of books, but would like access to e-book versions.

Yup. For example I always thought I'd be great if Amazon offered free e-book versions of the physical books I bought, but since it doesn't, torrents are great hehe. I also like it because that way I can preview the whole book.

I do the same - only downloading if I have already bought the physical book or if the book is out of print and no way I can buy it. Especially useful with books with lots of foot/endnotes - use both physical and electronic copy to reference back and forth.
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

- The Open-Ended Proof from The Panoplia Prophetica
pueraeternus

Postby gyougan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:57 pm

Little bit off-topic but I want to share this thought with you:

As expensive as book are, they are still dirt cheap compared to what is coming. Time to buy printed books is NOW! Price gap between printed books and e-books will go up and at some point many books will only be available in electronic form.
gyougan

Return to News & Current Events