In Praise of Potluck Dinners for Buddhist Groups

No holds barred discussion on the Buddhadharma. Argue about rebirth, karma, commentarial interpretations etc. Be nice to each other.

In Praise of Potluck Dinners for Buddhist Groups

Postby Jikan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:02 pm

It's not easy for a group of strangers to come together and build trust over time, but that is what needs to happen in order for a Buddhist group to develop. If you're going to practice well, you need to get to know each other and open up to each other. Part of the challenge of making Buddhism work in North America, for converts at least, is to build those bonds.

I'm increasingly convinced that potluck dinners are a good way to do it. Everyone knows how to do it, so there's some kind of comfort level. But you have to share something that you bring, you have to encounter the habits of others and consume them, you have to make some attempt at conversation... all of which brings the defenses down a bit and builds a feeling of community. Even when it goes imperfectly in some respects (you can count on someone to bring an inedible pasta salad).

These little exchanges can become, over time and with some nurturing, the basis for more durable bonds in Dharma practice.

So three cheers for the potluck. That's all. :namaste:
Jikan
Site Admin

Re: In Praise of Potluck Dinners for Buddhist Groups

Postby plwk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:54 pm

From my experience with some of the Christian and Buddhist ones, beware that it ends up taking priority as a rotary club or yadayada coffee shop gathering thingy rather than a group focused on spirituality and practice ...
plwk

Postby Jikan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:21 pm

plwk wrote:From my experience with some of the Christian and Buddhist ones, beware that it ends up taking priority as a rotary club or yadayada coffee shop gathering thingy rather than a group focused on spirituality and practice ...

Definitely. There's a Dharma function first, and only after do we open up Charlene's casserole. like this:

http://www.meetup.com/Ekayana/events/49569782/
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Seishin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Speaking from an English point of view, you can't beat a cup of tea and some cake (and a biscuit or two ;) ) As my Nan says "many a-slip 'tween cup n-lip!" in other words, people talk whilst having tea :twothumbsup:
Seishin
Global Moderator

Postby Indrajala » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:27 am

Fellowship is important in a Buddhist community. It is what makes people comfortable and want to stay. :smile:
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby plwk » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:01 am

Nice event...saw the pics on FB..

The dharma is best taught while wearing slippers...

And that cat.... :lol:
plwk

Return to Open Dharma