Protest Alabama execution, urgent action needed

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Tex

Protest Alabama execution, urgent action needed

Postby Tex » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:28 pm

Bhikkhu Bodhi posted this on Facebook, thought I'd share it here. Alabama is set to execute a mentally incompetent man who did not even get proper legal counsel. You can e-mail their governor a form letter protest at the link below or customize your own message. Execution is set for today.

http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/siteap ... tion=14651

Here's another bit from the NY Times: "A man whose lawyers contend he received inadequate legal counsel during sentencing and should have been classified as mentally retarded is scheduled to be executed Thursday. In January, the United States Supreme Court upheld the death penalty for the man, Holly Wood, 50, who confessed to shooting his ex-girlfriend while she slept. Defense lawyers argued that a court-appointed lawyer with less than a year of trial experience failed to tell jurors during sentencing that Mr. Wood is not mentally competent to be executed. His I.Q. has been found to be well below 70, the score that experts often consider the border for mental retardation. But Alabama, like many states, considers other factors, including performance tests and employment history in evaluating competence."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/09/us/09 ... T_BRF.html
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

Modus.Ponens

Re: Protest Alabama execution, urgent action needed

Postby Modus.Ponens » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:32 pm

I sent it. I hope to receive good news.

Join Amnesty international on facebook people. It has a lot of actions you can take like this one.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:07 pm

would the government listen to non-americans or non alabama residents not on their electoral roll?

I know my government wouldn't and hasn't paid attention to names or emails from petitions who weren't residents or on their (affected areas) electoral roll!
Last edited by Cittasanto on Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Khalil Bodhi

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks Tex, I just sent my two cents.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Done.
Thanks Tex for bringing this issue to our attention.
Lets hope Holly Wood's sentence gets commuted.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:41 am

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:31 am

_/|\_

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:28 am

Done. Thank you for pointing it out.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

chownah

Postby chownah » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:47 pm

If the thrust of this is that his IQ score should get him off the hook (so to speak) then I think that this is giving IQ scores too much credence....I learned about IQ scores at uni and they really shouldn't be used for anything that is a "go/no go" based on them....they are just too unreliable in practice and of questionable value by principle.....I am however against capital punishment in all cases and in every instance...there is not real reason for the gov't to kill anyone.....in my view....
chownah

Tex

Postby Tex » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Chownah, I majored in psych and agree completely that IQ is a vastly overused metric.

My main contention with this was 1) we shouldn't be executing anyone, and 2) this was an illegal execution. The man did not receive proper legal counsel (which was court appointed), therefore he did not receive his Constitutionally-guaranteed fair trail and should have been retried.

I have a feeling law students will be puzzling over this case for decades trying to figure out how even the Supreme Court got it so wrong. I can only assume that they refused to overrule Alabama's decision on the basis of not interfering with the death penalty, which is considered a state issue not a federal one. And if that is their reasoning, it's pretty dangerous reasoning in my opinion.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:20 pm

Very sad... capital punishment is hunnish.

Imagine it is an innocent person!

...tragic...
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

Annapurna

Postby Annapurna » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:24 pm

http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:55 pm

That a country that calls itself civilized has capital punishments is sad and contradictory.

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:17 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Ytrog

Postby Ytrog » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:18 am