Raising a Child is Compassion?

Whether you're exploring Buddhism for the first time or you're already on the path, feel free to ask questions of any kind here.

Raising a Child is Compassion?

Postby Nosta » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:08 pm

Can we see the act of giving birth as a compassive one?

When a serious couple is raising a children, they will take care of their child, will give education to her, love and the cares the he/she needs. If the couple (or someone in the couple) is a buddhist, raising a soon is giving an oportunity for another being (that just died and will rebirth on that family) to take contact with Dharma. And that is something very precious. So, i think that giving birth to a child can be something good ,specially if that new born being can get such an opportunity (contacting/learning Dharma).

What do you think?
Nosta

Re: Raising a Child is Compassion?

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:18 pm

"Compassion" is comprised of two root Latin words, "com" meaning together, and "passion" which means suffering. So, compassion is a feeling of deep sympathy for another who is suffering, being together with their suffering and wanting them to be free from suffering.

If we begin with the premise that all beings are wandering through samsara anyway, then being a Buddhist parent and giving a sentient being a good home, through birth into one's family, isn't any less compassionate than adopting a lost puppy.
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby alpha » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:28 pm

I would also be interested to know how is making a concious decision to have children seen in tibetan buddhism in particular?

In tibetan buddhism being born as a human is conisdered rare and special.
So giving a chance to a being to be born as a human would mean something positive and compasionate.

Is this view correct?
AOM
alpha

Postby Seishin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:42 pm

In many ways, we are responsible for our childrens suffering.

Gassho,
Seishin.
Seishin
Global Moderator

Postby Jikan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:11 pm

That's true, Seishin. But parents also make it possible for children to have happiness and the causes of happiness: the "fortunate" part of a fortunate human birth.

Parenting is a huge, huge job. Three cheers for parents.
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby Nosta » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:41 pm

Yes, being a parent is a big job! But infortunatly it seems that there are more and more young fathers dont giving any care and education to their child. The children are just the result of a night of passion or the result of a relationship without commitment.

In my humble opinion, if one is commited to raise a child with the purpose of really taking care, giving love, education, food, teaching Dharma, then thats a very good thing. In that case, raising a child is a good act. Thats my opinion but i would like to know more about the buddhist view.
Nosta

Postby PadmaVonSamba » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:30 am

Raising a child, or children, can really be good for one's own dharma practice, and hopefully one sets a good example for the child. It makes you get your priorities in order. Babies are very good dharma teachers. They are very demanding, all day and all night. You have to master patience, selflessness, generosity, deprivation, wisdom, and love all at the same time. Sakyamuni should have stayed at home...he would have become enlightened much sooner!!
Profile Picture: "The Foaming Monk"
The Chinese characters are Fo (buddha) and Ming (bright). The image is of a student of Buddhism, who, imagining himself to be a monk, and not understanding the true meaning of the words takes the sound of the words literally. Likewise, People on web forums sometime seem to be foaming at the mouth.
Original painting by P.Volker /used by permission.
PadmaVonSamba

Postby Seishin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:05 am

Jikan wrote:That's true, Seishin. But parents also make it possible for children to have happiness and the causes of happiness: the "fortunate" part of a fortunate human birth.

Yes of course, I wasn't denying it :smile:
Seishin
Global Moderator

Postby Indrajala » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:15 am

Nosta wrote:Can we see the act of giving birth as a compassive one?

When a serious couple is raising a children, they will take care of their child, will give education to her, love and the cares the he/she needs. If the couple (or someone in the couple) is a buddhist, raising a soon is giving an oportunity for another being (that just died and will rebirth on that family) to take contact with Dharma. And that is something very precious. So, i think that giving birth to a child can be something good ,specially if that new born being can get such an opportunity (contacting/learning Dharma).

What do you think?

Whether the child really takes a serious interest or not depends on their dispositions.

I reckon there are a lot of kids tossed into monasteries around the world who would rather not go down that route if they had the choice. It is really just for the parent's own satisfaction to dress the kid up in some costume and fantasize what kind of merit they think it is.

Even if you don't force feed Buddhism to the kid, it is still up to them whether they really take to it or not.

At the end of the day though go to the zoo and you can see plenty of animals able to procreate and look after offspring. Making kids and raising them is an entirely mundane affair.
Flower Ornament Depository (Blog)
Indrajāla's Contemplations (Blog)
Exploring Classical Chinese (Blog)
Dharma Depository (Site)

"Hui gives me no assistance. There is nothing that I say in which he does not delight." -Confucius
Indrajala
Former staff member

Postby Jikan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Seishin wrote:
Jikan wrote:That's true, Seishin. But parents also make it possible for children to have happiness and the causes of happiness: the "fortunate" part of a fortunate human birth.

Yes of course, I wasn't denying it :smile:

:twothumbsup:
Jikan
Site Admin

Return to Exploring Buddhism