Greetings from Colorado

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.

Greetings from Colorado

Postby IshNavaya » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:22 am

I simply wished to introduce myself. I am IshNavaya.

I live in a beautiful, mountainous area of the Rockies, in this iteration. I wish to explore ideas and ask questions. I am currently studying the lam rim, and every day is a gift of experience and understanding. This is not to say that life is pleasant uniformly. Instead, I am retraining my mind. My energy, soul, spirit, or that spark of the dreaming divine that resides within has guided me to this point.

I wish to discuss the nature of existence. As a westerner, perhaps I have a need for discourse, and as an intellectual creature, I understand things best when words chase meaning into non-being. This is, for me, an important tool for reaching out to ease the suffering of others. I am refining my technique.

May all sentient beings follow their paths to enlightenment.
IshNavaya

Re: Greetings from Colorado

Postby criggster » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:31 am

Welcome :)

IshNavaya wrote: I understand things best when words chase meaning into non-being.

I am new to Buddhism and, like you, I am also new to this forum. So I maybe you can help me understand what you mean when you say "words chase meaning into non-being."

Thanks
criggster

Postby Jikan » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:09 am

Hi IshNayava,

welcome to the discussion!
Jikan
Site Admin

Postby IshNavaya » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:47 pm

I just meant that, sometimes, I think about how words are just signifiers for the ideas that we wish to communicate. Without clarifying intent and redefining terms adequately, things can become confusing. I used the word non-being because it adequately expresses the point at which the words themselves do not matter. The meaning behind the words can be understood in many ways, I think. I process words into a myriad of emotions and pictures, so the words enter a state of irrelevance. Does that make any sense at all? Sorry if I just completely confused you.

Just a crack-brained notion I like to consider. It could all be complete rubbish, though.

Hehe.

Words, words, words...

Cheers--I
IshNavaya

Postby criggster » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:12 pm

IshNavaya wrote:I just meant that, sometimes, I think about how words are just signifiers for the ideas that we wish to communicate. Without clarifying intent and redefining terms adequately, things can become confusing. I used the word non-being because it adequately expresses the point at which the words themselves do not matter. The meaning behind the words can be understood in many ways, I think. I process words into a myriad of emotions and pictures, so the words enter a state of irrelevance. Does that make any sense at all? Sorry if I just completely confused you.

Just a crack-brained notion I like to consider. It could all be complete rubbish, though.

Hehe.

Words, words, words...

Cheers--I

I'm not sure what it would mean if I understood what you are saying, although I feel I did get some meaning out of that paragraph of yours. Words are weird and wonderful things, aren't they?

I don't think it is rubbish.
criggster

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:12 pm

:hi:

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

:buddha1:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby IshNavaya » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:48 pm

Thank you for the welcome.